Kandy Kitchen trimming/defoliation

Scott72

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hello, first time posting. I have a large Kandy Kitchen Japanese maple that is growing like crazy. It is almost summer here where I am located. It has very thick foliage. I am trying to find information on when or if it would be a good idea to partially or fully defoliate it now or not? I am concerned the lower branches are not getting enough sunlight. Ive done a search on these forums and haven't been able to find much information on this specific tree. Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Attachments

• 20230612_130818.jpg
    20230612_130818.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 66
  • 20230612_130822.jpg
    20230612_130822.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 67

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Welcome to Bonsainut
Someone with Japanese Maple experience may be able to answer your questions. I do not have any Japanese Maples myself. Happy to read that your tree is growing so well.

In the meantime, it will be helpful if you return to your profile and add your general location to help replies better target answers.

Scott72

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Welcome to Bonsainut
Someone with Japanese Maple experience may be able to answer your questions. I do not have any Japanese Maples myself. Happy to read that your tree is growing so well.

In the meantime, it will be helpful if you return to your profile and add your general location to help replies better target answers.
ok will do thank you.

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I am personally in the process of defoliating all of my larger maples....and cutting back some others. I was already having interior and lower branches that were dropping leaves and getting ready to die. New buds already pushing and extending on those that I did 2-3 weeks ago.

Scott72

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I am personally in the process of defoliating all of my larger maples....and cutting back some others. I was already having interior and lower branches that were dropping leaves and getting ready to die. New buds already pushing and extending on those that I did 2-3 weeks ago.
I just went ahead with a heavy prune, no defoliation since i never got a response as to defoliation. It looks great and is sitting in shade for awhile.

Attachments

• 20230612_180736.jpg
    20230612_180736.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 46

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Nice tree. Its hard to tell in a 2D photo but the right to left diagonal branch in front is very distracting and straight. I'd seriously think about removing it. Did you get it from Ed Clark? I'm surprised its so green... mine is still mostly red.

Top Bottom