Just curious how ones trees are handling their heat...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
We had a few hot days...placed my trees out of the direct heat of the day into dappled shade. Now we are hitting a cooler few days. But understand some are experiencing very hot temps. Just curious how you go about handling the heat...do you change locations of your trees offering more shelter and reprieve from the hot blustery sun?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Growing without fertiliser, full sun [ bit stronger than yours :p:)]
But we don't have to play - footsie - with the trees down here.
Heavy rains, sun, breeze and all are root bound, so they handle the weather well.
Thanks for asking.
Great day to you.
Anthony

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
30% shade cloth, humidity trays and burlap underneath that I wet down daily. we have had 95F - 103F average for over a month now, it has rained once in that time but all my trees look great even new growth popping out. I have even cut back on watering to about every other day. I also am not fertilizing at this point.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Same position.

Thoughtless second watering after work always.

Anything I may have thought was sun related...
Is Probly fungus. Thanks Smoke! Ian.

Of course 135% humidity helps!

Sorce

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Earlier in the year, we had nice spring-like temps, until one week when it rapidly went to 95 degrees F. My trees that noticed it include K Hornbeam x2, J Maple x2 and one spruce that I had given a springtime haircut to had tender new growth that all got crispified.
Moved all to the mostly shade bench and things are better.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Still trying tp figure out how ------ air temperature -------- is affected by shade cloth ?

Need a breeze or clouds ?
Perhaps stick with local flora ?
You all have my best wishes ---------------- over 93 deg.F yuck and 100 % humidity [ often at night as well ]
Wishing you a good day.
Anthony [ who because of his totally Northern genes would wilt in heat / humidity or get really bad heat rash ]

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Shade is up to 20 degrees F cooler than sun.... Usually not that extreme, but sometimes...
10-15 degrees F difference is common.
Has mostly to do with radiant heat from sunlight.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here it was normally in the mid 90F range for around two weeks with 70+F nights. We are back to normal at mid 80's F now with lower night temperatures. I only ever move a few plants like Bougainvillea and Quince but not because of heat but rain as they hate it here. Even though I use dark pots even the test Maples in mostly shade get warm enough that they steam off when watered in the morning during the hottest spells but it has not hurt them the least.
There are very few plants here potted that can actually handle FULL sun and ours are all in shade, a couple hours of morning East sun, or late afternoon West sun. Funny how it works but a few need to go out in Full East/West sun for the Winter to survive.
Either way the heat itself seems to only slow growth and during that time I either stop fertilizer or reduce it, depending on the plant as most go dormant. Sun exposure is tricky and varies by species but we have good results after experimenting for a few years.

Still trying tp figure out how ------ air temperature -------- is affected by shade cloth ?

Here it does little to cool the air, rarely hits 5F less. If the air circulation is good even though things are "shaded" as I mentioned with Maples the pots get hot enough to produce steam while watering anyways. ;)

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
They just use umbrellas round here ;)
Same thing...keeping the sun off you. When in Honduras we are there during the rainy season. So an umbrella for sure...but I also use it when walking and the sun is so hot. But some would call it a parasol even if an umbrella...if used for keeping sun off. But yes, an umbrella also works. Keeps the direct sun off of an object.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Pretty long string of days in the mid 90s here. I added a nice thick layer of sphagnum moss to all of my pots (except the pines and junipers) and that seems to work just fine. I water every day at 6am and 6pm when I get home from work and sometimes the moss is still wet. As Sorce said, the humidity helps. I did move the dogwood that I'm experimenting with into the shade as it was getting too much sun and starting to look pretty beat up.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Same thing...keeping the sun off you. When in Honduras we are there during the rainy season. So an umbrella for sure...but I also use it when walking and the sun is so hot. But some would call it a parasol even if an umbrella...if used for keeping sun off. But yes, an umbrella also works. Keeps the direct sun off of an object.
I'm just playing around :p

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Darlene,

many years ago, the Chinese did that [ with black umbrellas :) ------ maximum heat absorption :eek:]
It has to be at least white :cool:
So your shade cloth is white ?

Never really gets that hot down here, umbrellas are for rain.

Most whites [ think UK white - pale and pasty ] down here go brown like the local white, Syrians / Italians
and that area go dark brown. Only the nose bridge indicates the race.
You can learn alot about how a person feels about their place in society.
Newcomer Chinese try to stay fair, but local Chinese born here could care less.

The fairness of UK skin is due ton their wheat diet, once down here, they revert to the colour of the
original race out of North Africa.

Back to heat absorption ---------- air temperatures --- as Grimmy stated.
Thanks a million Grimmy.
Good Day
Anthony

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Pretty long string of days in the mid 90s here. I added a nice thick layer of sphagnum moss to all of my pots (except the pines and junipers) and that seems to work just fine. I water every day at 6am and 6pm when I get home from work and sometimes the moss is still wet. As Sorce said, the humidity helps. I did move the dogwood that I'm experimenting with into the shade as it was getting too much sun and starting to look pretty beat up.
Yeah! You know..... I did the same thing earlier in the season....
Added a thick layer of chopped sphagnum because things were drying out too much before I could get home from work everyday...
Now it's been so humid the past week or 2 that the sphagnum almost never dries out.... except for one of my 5 yews, one seems to drink way more water than the others...

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We had a few hot days...placed my trees out of the direct heat of the day into dappled shade. Now we are hitting a cooler few days. But understand some are experiencing very hot temps. Just curious how you go about handling the heat...do you change locations of your trees offering more shelter and reprieve from the hot blustery sun?
Depends on the tree. Live oak and western oak in full sun all day. Pots get white cloth covering to shield them from the sun. Others, like cedar elm and bald cypress, get partial shade or shade in the afternoon. Japanese, trident and amur maples get three hours morning sun. Hornbeam get afternoon shade, or full sun (in ground). boxwood six hours of sun until mid-afternoon with shade on their containers..

We've had brutal heat (upper 90's) with stifling humidity (last Wed. or so it was 89 degrees with 80 percent humidity). High heat has broken for the most part, but now we're in for torrential rain...Cooler temps next week (relatively--mid to high 80's)

Top Bottom