juniperus pfitzeriana...i was told

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Posted this multiple places, but I love To repot in the Fall! I think it gives you a good head start on the next growing season and in my milder climate, trees seem to continue growing roots most of the winter, even after leaves have fallen and dormancy has begun- obviously they probably take a short break during that time, but the end of Fall and end of winter you can still get significant root growth with most species...

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Posted this multiple places, but I love To repot in the Fall! I think it gives you a good head start on the next growing season and in my milder climate, trees seem to continue growing roots most of the winter, even after leaves have fallen and dormancy has begun- obviously they probably take a short break during that time, but the end of Fall and end of winter you can still get significant root growth with most species...

Yep; I've recently spoken with several nursery owners who dig conifers late October through Feb - On the central coast of CA Fall comes very late, and winter is very short, so I'd surmise that areas that have a strong marine influence will have a similar effect on seasonal root growth/dormancy.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Fall would probably work where the OP is as well in a typical winter. If we get another winter like last year though, it might not work as well.

tree4me

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok since this was my first attempt at bending a large, about 3/4", branch I worked on a different tree in case it didn't go so well. I didn't hear any crack so I think it's good. How long would this be left on to set the branch? Also any future styling ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• juni raffia.JPG
    juni raffia.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 31
  • juni tape.JPG
    juni tape.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 30
  • juni bend 1.JPG
    juni bend 1.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 32
  • juni final bend.JPG
    juni final bend.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 32

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How long would this be left on to set the branch?

The standard answer is 'as long as possible'. Basically, new wood is what will hold this branch in place. So it will take most of at least one growing season to fix the branch in its new position.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
... it will take most of at least one growing season to fix the branch in its new position.

Wow great I was thinkin atleast 2 years.

You may be right.

I apologize for the convoluted semantic - I was trying to be succinct.

I mean it will take most of one growing season, minimum.

I cannot see wire on the bend, so I infer that the bend is held by only a guy on the branch. If so, you can simply undo the guy sometime late next season and see if the branch stays put or not. If not, put the guy back on. Easy peasy [:eek:]

If one wires a bend, it is a lot of work to remove the wire and then replace it if the bend hasn't set. So, one usually waits until they see the branch has thickened to the point that it is beginning to engulf the wire (the 'wire is biting in' we say) before removing it to find out. Then, of course, rewire if it isn't set.

Last edited:
Top Bottom