Juniper Prospect

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I saw this tree at a nursery today. Massive trunk and nice branching on one side of the trunk. Can anyone tell me what kind of juniper and what would you pay for it. I will tell you what he is asking in a bit.
I'm not sold on it but it does have potential.

2017-03-17 11.38.35.jpg 2017-03-17 11.38.54.jpg 2017-03-17 11.39.53.jpg

Reactions: Vin

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure what it is. The nursery owner didn't even know.
What is it and can it be a bad ass bonsai?
Chears. Gulp

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That looks like the one I got in my yard...

Almost dwarf Alberta...but big like that...

Maybe some older version of dwarf Alberta.

Mine seems the same age.

I got a ladder and cleaned it out some.

Lotta die back on the inside like that.

Best thing about yours, that neglected side is clearly not a problem...

The foliage on the good stuff looks to be in excellent health!

Sorce

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
sorc. post: 436485 said:
That looks like the one I got in my yard...

Almost dwarf Alberta...but big like that...

Maybe some older version of dwarf Alberta.

Mine seems the same age.

I got a ladder and cleaned it out some.

Lotta die back on the inside like that.

Best thing about yours, that neglected side is clearly not a problem...

The foliage on the good stuff looks to be in excellent health!

Sorce
Thanks Sorce
I was thinking a needle type juni like a Common but I'm not that familar with them. Im not going to pop on a Spuce for $300.

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can anyone give be a positive identification on this (non Juniper) tree. After some research I think it is some kind of spruce but not positive. I kind of want to know what it is even before offering. He told me he just got those in on loan from another nursery because they were not doing well in the other nursery so maybe this tree is not hardy in my area. All those high front branches that are growing upward in the first pic are very bendable. I grabbed one pulled it down no problem so I think there is a possible really nice tree.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would not buy... and here's why:

With raw stock you should always look at the nebari and the first 6 - 12" of the trunk. If that part of the tree is good, it has potential. If that part of the tree is poor, you more or less have to start over and you lose the entire reason for buying a big tree in the first place. If you look at this trunk critically, you will see a twin trunk that splits too far above the ground, and a strange/awkward reverse taper down towards the roots. The bottom 12" of the trunk has a decidedly different look to the bark - leading me to believe it is a grafted tree on different species root stock. There is a good chance that even if you prune the tree dramatically the lower trunk will never match the upper trunk or branches.

You would end up investing a ton of time in this tree - and it might still have unfixable issues.

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would not buy... and here's why:

With raw stock you should always look at the nebari and the first 6 - 12" of the trunk. If that part of the tree is good, it has potential. If that part of the tree is poor, you more or less have to start over and you lose the entire reason for buying a big tree in the first place. If you look at this trunk critically, you will see a twin trunk that splits too far above the ground, and a strange/awkward reverse taper down towards the roots. The bottom 12" of the trunk has a decidedly different look to the bark - leading me to believe it is a grafted tree on different species root stock. There is a good chance that even if you prune the tree dramatically the lower trunk will never match the upper trunk or branches.

You would end up investing a ton of time in this tree - and it might still have unfixable issues.

That's a really good well though out answer. I think you make some really good points. I think I got some big eyes when I saw the big trunk and didn't really take a good look at it. Thanks everyone.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
positive identification

Screw that!

If he don't know what it is....

Go for $20!

Don't give up on it...

This tree is only challenging...

Lil faith, lil future vision...

That's a Cool Ass project!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

That has to change!

It's ugly, no ID...

As long as it doesn't have giant roots going into the ground...
I'd get it. Or try to get it...
For closer to $50 than $300..

Though it may be even easier to lower the price of it is into the ground. Cuz cutting them further decrease chance of survival.

It's already in a pot.

I personally think you have an eye that would/could make something out of this.
There are a lot of good eyes here...
But yours is more appropriate for this task.

IMO...

Any problems as previously discussed can be overcome.
It's ready in a pot.

Maybe @wireme has some photos or thoughts about this tree.
From a style perspective...
He has a different eye, but similar in that his eye succeeds outside of traditional.
It's already in a pot.

Some of the issues brought up are still "what ifs".
Many can become "it is" with a little shuffling of weeds, digging, and maybe a couple better pictures.

For the Record.
You Can Not make A decision based on "what ifs"...
And forgive me...
But it is foolish to make that decision when the "what ifs" are so easily converted to "it is".

Does the low foliage branch come from below the suspected graft?

Quite a few worst case scenarios....

How bout best case scenario.

It's not grafted....or if it is it is acceptable.
Or unnoticed because of the montrous tree.

It has loose duff in the top half of the pot, no roots in the ground, an amazing flare, and the bottom half of the pot is filled with excellent feeder roots.

Use Your eye, and please understand, though I have confused you with @Jeremy , because of the Avatar, he has a similar eye too, I am not saying this just to convince you to buy the tree...and I do not have this confused....
Your talent begs for this tree.

I'm going to take some pictures of mine..

We are still after a proper ID.

If it is NON dwarf Alberta.
I don't think there is enough experience with them to discard.

I still say what is left of it is excellently healthy. Though the needles are a little off color...the buds, sometimes 3, look good.

Coming back...
That interior die off is what these do.

But if you look at the growth and ramification, you can see how pruning and wire can keep it healthy and viable as a bonsai.

Did I mention it's already in a pot!?

Sorce

Top Bottom