Juniper bonsai tips inside leaves turn brown after pinch

Strator

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi. This is my first coniferous tree. I proceeded to pinch it. A few days after this process, the tips inside the leaves turned brown. Did I put the tree to death? Earlier I did pinching on one of the branches for a test. From a few pinches the brown tips fell off and sprouted widely spread needles. Is this normal? How to avoid browning after pinching and wide needles? I add photos.

Attachments

• 20240706_194443.jpg
    20240706_194443.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 20240706_194410.jpg
    20240706_194410.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 20240706_194349.jpg
    20240706_194349.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 35
You avoid those brown parts by using scissors. It's been a hot topic for a while, but lately went to the back of the forum archives because we all agreed on it.

Nothing you can do now, in a while the brown parts will drop off.

You avoid those brown parts by using scissors. It's been a hot topic for a while, but lately went to the back of the forum archives because we all agreed on it.

Nothing you can do now, in a while the brown parts will drop off.
I thought the scissors would also cause such an effect, so everything is fine? It is just such a cosmetic defect but the tree is ok?

With the scissor it's easier to cut into a crotch where it's easier to hide the brown.
But as long as there are some growing tips left, the tree should be fine.

All is aok!

Not so much a cosmetic defect as a technique faux paux.

A couple thoughts.

In the future would concentrate pruning on the apex branches and let the lower branches run free. The actual apex likely will be one of the two top horizontal branches vs the present apex.

Cheers
DSD sends

Do not prune every tip of your branches. Just thin out individual tufts then they have extended, using scissors to snip individual growing branches and removing the extension.
What you have done now weakens the plant substantially.

I feel so bad. Now i know how to do this. I hope the tree doesnt die.

Not to worry. Junipers are tough cookies!

We all make mistakes in the learning process… it’s the nature of the beast.

btw: please do use a solid and add your approximate location and USDA Plant Hardiness Zone to your profile so we can give you the best advice. To do this simply double tap your icon atop the page. The Account Details. Scroll down, enter this information and save.

Cheers
DSD sends

Back
Top Bottom