JBP - Seedlings

vek17

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Just looking for some advice on seedling.

Is there any common do’s and don’ts…
The seedlings are this year old.. purchased online.

Soil mix is general compost and perlite..

They are left outside, the clear box is so I can keep the humidity up and keep out the rain as it can get very wet here in the UK.

Attachments

• IMG_2732.jpeg
    IMG_2732.jpeg
    431.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2731.jpeg
    IMG_2731.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 36
Your seedlings look a bit droopy. When were they potted up? How long have you had them?
Humidity may not be a good thing for pines which generally prefer being a bit on the dry side. Excessive humidity can cause root problems as well as fungal issues like damping off.
It may just be the light or the photo but they also appear to be a bit yellowish. What fertiliser regime are you using?

The pots are very small. I suspect it will be difficult to manage soil moisture in such small pots. I'd probably consider potting some up into 10cm pots to give the roots a bit of space and to even out moisture and temperature swings. You're now into Autumn but should still be enough time for them to settle into new pots before it gets too cold.

Hi Shibui,

Potted 2 days ago, was mailed in as bunch in a single pot. I split them out to individual pots to allow for room to grow.

From reading posts on here I was aware of root rot and from killing off some maples in the past I didn’t want to upsize the pot too much.

I’ll move some into 10cm pots.

Fertiliser - as they have been just moved
I’m ok to give a bit of fertiliser? I have bio gold bonsai (cubes) - would this be ok?

Potted 2 days ago will probably explain the droopy trunks. They'll still be readjusting roots.
As you are asking very basic questions I'll bet you potted them with very little root reduction. In that case fertiliser immediately is OK. Especially something as slow acting as solid organic like biogold. Quick acting liquid fert may be a bit too much so soon but as soon as the trunks straighten up I'd give some. Liquid is quick acting as opposed to organics which take some time to release nutrients.
I know London is not known for brilliant sunshine but please be aware that clear plastic boxes can quickly heat up to lethal temps when exposed to direct sun.

I wouldn't disturb the roots to fix so soon after a repot,

But our best defense against the rain is a very free draining soil for pines. large particles. I use kaizen number 3 but I'm currently experimenting with pumice and grit at the recommendation of one of my teachers

If you've just repotted these in the UK they'll need winter protection from excess rain and frost from November till March, I.e . Cold frame, open greenhouse. Still need light, humidity, air flow, cold.

Potted 2 days ago will probably explain the droopy trunks. They'll still be readjusting roots.
As you are asking very basic questions I'll bet you potted them with very little root reduction. In that case fertiliser immediately is OK. Especially something as slow acting as solid organic like biogold. Quick acting liquid fert may be a bit too much so soon but as soon as the trunks straighten up I'd give some. Liquid is quick acting as opposed to organics which take some time to release nutrients.
I know London is not known for brilliant sunshine but please be aware that clear plastic boxes can quickly heat up to lethal temps when exposed to direct sun.

Didn’t cut any roots. Some just seemed to have a single root some with finer roots. As this is my first attempt left them alone.

I’ve left the lid open to increase airflow, just don’t want the rain to cause havoc. Feels like summer is over here!

I’ll chop up some bigold and get them added to the pots.

I wouldn't disturb the roots to fix so soon after a repot,

But our best defense against the rain is a very free draining soil for pines. large particles. I use kaizen number 3 but I'm currently experimenting with pumice and grit at the recommendation of one of my teachers
I’ll take a look at kaizen..

I do know heron’s has a mix which is free draining..

Let me know how you get on with pumice and grit.. guess the balance is in summer what is good retain moisture and in the winter how to keep it from getting too wet.

If you've just repotted these in the UK they'll need winter protection from excess rain and frost from November till March, I.e . Cold frame, open greenhouse. Still need light, humidity, air flow, cold.

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the support..

Direct sunlight ok? Don’t have to worry about keeping them shaded..

In terms of cold frame… would something like the attached be ok?

Attachments

• IMG_2734.jpeg
    IMG_2734.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 20
do know heron’s has a mix which is free draining..
More free draining than compost, Sure

I've even grown pines from seed in it without too many problems

It still contains quite a lot of bark and therefore is still on the too moisture retentive side

The more free draining the better, you can feed heavily and don't need to worry about the rain

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the support..

Direct sunlight ok? Don’t have to worry about keeping them shaded..

In terms of cold frame… would something like the attached be ok?
Yes, you want direct sunlight on conifers, all year long. Get a cold frame where all plants are on the ground. Not so pretty but the ground is warmer than the air and you need to protect those roots. Open it in the day, close at night.

I'm reminiscing, but my first JBP seedlings were in pots with a clayey mud, sat on a wall; they're tough but if repotted in late Summer or Autumn in the UK, roots don't mature fast enough to protect the plant. I've lost a lot since those times but my 2018 ones are mostlycstill going strong! I now repot JBP, JWP and JRP in May. I'm at 250m in Sheffield.

Back
Top Bottom