JBP browning needles- cause?

schoolpizza

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Apologies because I know there's other threads about this but I am hoping for some veteran opinions on my specific case because I can't clearly determine the problem.

I am new to pines and got this pretty nice JBP less than two weeks ago. It's in a bag with some potting soil-like mix, which I know isn't good, but I thought should be fine until a repot next season. Only things I've done are cut off one front facing branch and pour in half a scoop of osmocote plus because the tree seemed to be in perfect health.

Just now I noticed a large amount of needles have browned, mostly older ones but some from last years growth. I can't believe I somehow hurt this tree so quickly. I am guessing either overwatering, overfertilization, or some kind of fungus (needle cast)? I am in Maryland, zone 7a, and it's had full sun before and after purchase.

What does it look like to you all, and what can I do? The parts of the tree I want to use are still green but I'm in despair right now over this damn thing tanking so quickly.

Attachments

• PXL_20240326_221810063.jpg
    PXL_20240326_221810063.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 108
  • PXL_20240326_221803752.jpg
    PXL_20240326_221803752.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 104

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Th brown needles in the centre are almost certainly old needles at the end of life. JBP needles have a 3 year life span. After 3 years the tree turns them off, they go brown and drop - usually in summer but sometimes a little earlier. Sometimes stress makes them go a bit earlier.

Most of the new needles look pretty good in the overall pic. assuming the closer shot is only one branch going brown? I can't see that on the wider shot.

Dothostroma (needle cast) has distinctive signs - horizontal brown/yellow bands across the needles. There may be a few in the back of pic 2 but not clear The other needles don't appear to have the bands, just brown tips so my guess is probably not Dothostroma at this stage but a precautionary fungicide spray as the new candles open won't hurt. Remember you cannot cure affected needles. You can only prevent infection of the new ones.

Brown tips is usually from stress. Dehydration can cause it. Too much shade can cause it, Too much water can cause it but that takes weeks of wet soil to affect the roots enough and I suspect it will be hard to overwater in a root pouch bag.

Physical damage is a possibility, especially if that's the longest branch where needles would be crushed, etc.

Given the rest of the tree appears OK I would not worry too much. Just monitor and see if the problem gets better or worse.

schoolpizza

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I appreciate the input.

The close up pic is typical of several branches. There are bits of brown spotting on most of these needles that have turned tan. The fact that they are still green toward the base makes me think this has to be needle cast from what I've seen searching on here. I can't see how this tree has really been stressed in any way since I've had it, either physically or in its watering.

I will add some clearer pictures of the damage later today.

Last edited:

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
If symptoms are consistent with needle cast then that's the likely cause, especially if you are confident in your care program.

Damage on older leaves can't be reversed but you can try to prevent infection of this year's needles. It requires an ongoing fungicide program right through spring.
Many pine growers spray with fungicide every year as a preventative whether they see signs or not - just to be safe.

schoolpizza

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Grabbed a couple more pics, the brown banding is a lot clearer now that I knew what I was looking for.

This is pretty cut and dry needle cast right? I ordered a systemic fungicide and a topical one as recommended in past threads, and plan to remove and trash all of these needles asap.

Attachments

• PXL_20240327_170925091.jpg
    PXL_20240327_170925091.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 55
  • PXL_20240327_171157927.jpg
    PXL_20240327_171157927.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 53

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Those horizontal bands would certainly send me fore the fungicide.
Remember it won't cure those damaged needles. It will only prevent the new needles getting infected as they open this spring. Need to repeat application every few weeks.
Getting rid of some of the worst affected older needles would also be worthwhile as they are probably shedding spores now.

schoolpizza

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for your help!

I guess a heavy needle pull and energy balancing of this tree are going to come sooner than I intended. So far the most important branches haven't been affected. I guess I am going to lose a lot of backbuds and overall strength though.

Top Bottom