Japanese white pine

Kevalli

Seedling
Reaction score
Loosing a few branches of my white pine and not sure why? Hope this doesn’t get worse, has anyone got any advice please. I’ve had the tree for just over a year now and know it needs repotting but am waiting until next spring. Hopefully it’s gonna get through the winter months ok?

Attachments

• IMG_8607.jpeg
    IMG_8607.jpeg
    595.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_8606.jpeg
    IMG_8606.jpeg
    523.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_8605.jpeg
    IMG_8605.jpeg
    385.9 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Weak shoots die out, which is how this looks to me, the rest of the tree appears very healthy. You may want to pull some old needles to allow better light and air into the interior of the tree, not as aggressively as with JBP, but the same concept. Prune strong shoots back to smaller shoots to keep the profile/balance strength, and then remove all 2-year old needles, and some of last year’s needles. JWP does better in soil on the dry side, but I would absolutely not repot it until spring.

Agree that those are minor and probably not a symptom of general decline.
Branches can die from a number of causes.
Not enough light is one possible cause. I note the tree is under slats which already provide something like 50% shade. That's already probably a bit too shady for a pine. Make sure you rotate the tree regularly. Extra shade from a nearby fence can be enough to cause branches to die. Even self shading because the sun comes from one side each day can be enough to weaken or kill branches on the shady side (north for you guys?) Turning your trees each week or so allows all sides to get even lighting to keep all branches equally strong.
Physical damage is another. Those little shoots may have been bent or knocked some time ago. It can take several months for such damage to show and, by then, you've forgotten about that day something fell over on the tree.
Root problems can also kill branches but I'd expect the problem to be more widespread than just 2 smallest branches in that case.
Dehydration can also kill off smallest branches but, again, the rest of the tree looks too healthy for that to be a cause. Watering becomes more and more of an issue when trees become pot bound. If you know your tree needs repotting it pays to give watering extra attention to ensure the soil is not over or under watered.

Thanks so much for the advice. I guess it probably has been in too much shade as it sits on the pond side under a slatted canopy. I will put it in full sun and get it through the winter and look forward to getting it in some descent soil next year..

When removing needles on a JWP, cut them with a fine pair of scissors. Do not pull them like JBP. The bark is softer on JWP and you could damage latent buds at the base of the needles by pulling.

Back
Top Bottom