Japanese Red Pine extremely long needles

Rupes

Seed
Reaction score
Hello, I have grown a Japanese Red Pine bonsai from seed and it is my pride and joy. It is coming up to around 2 years old now. However I haven't done anything much to it, except that I repotted it once. The new needles are growing extremely long and I was wondering if this is normal (it seems maybe not!) And whether you have any advice on where I should go from here. Photos attached. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• PXL_20220822_155108327.jpg
    PXL_20220822_155108327.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 162
  • PXL_20220822_155121853.jpg
    PXL_20220822_155121853.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 162
  • PXL_20220822_155114820.jpg
    PXL_20220822_155114820.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 162
That’s a little baby pine . You gotta grow that in a larger container for a few years. Balance of water and oxygen in the roots with some pumice or perlite at this stage. Next spring I would place into a 4” nursery pot with organic and pumice , let it grow for a few years, then graduate to a gallon nursery can same media w organic to have growth.

Pine needles reduce when the plants (in the case of JRP and JBP) are pruned and do a second flush, or when their roots are restrained, or when they lack nutrients.
A healthy plant will produce long needles.

A larger pot might be a good idea. I've seen my 3 year old JRP outgrow my 5 year old one with ease, simply because of the container size.
Easier to manage watering too.

Hello, I have grown a Japanese Red Pine bonsai from seed and it is my pride and joy. It is coming up to around 2 years old now. However I haven't done anything much to it, except that I repotted it once. The new needles are growing extremely long and I was wondering if this is normal (it seems maybe not!) And whether you have any advice on where I should go from here. Photos attached. Thanks in advance!
Foliage reduction is one of the LAST refinement operations for already-established bonsai. This seedlings is nowhere near needing such treatment, and/or concern. It won't need that kind of thing for one or two decades. This requires as much foliage as possible in whatever length it can manage. The goal for something like this is simply adding bulk to the trunk and strength to its growth.

Rupes, your white pine needs a larger pot.
Try terracotta as it "breathes" very well which aids in good root development and also reduces the risk of the soil "bogging out" (holding water for too long...which pines dont like).
As a newbie, watering requirements can be somewhat of a mystery. Its very easy to over-water your pine (we've all done this) due to over-caring for the tree.
Terracotta pots can assist with reducing the amount of time the tree's roots sit in damp soil as they are quite porous and "breathe", allowing the soil to dry quicker...pines LIKE this!
Ive got a Cedar that ive been growing in plastic pots for the past 2 years. Its never had much vigour and always looked a bit sad.
I popped it in a terracotta pot this Spring and you wouldnt know its the same tree. Ive gotten more growth in 5 months than i did in the past 2 years of it being in plastic.
Let those developing roots breathe properly and stand back : )

Half the answers in this thread are like mine, nothing to do with needle size?
Have you noticed why yet pot?...look to his last statement.
"And whether you have any advice on where I should go from here"
Plenty answers there already. Others no further need. None call tree wrong species but yourso_O.

If I were to use that pot I'd use a WAY MORE FREE DRAINING MOSTLY INORGANIC SOIL MIX... that is all

The most direct answer to your question is that short needles in JRP and JBP are the direct result of fairly specific horticultural conditions and steps applied year after year after year for a number of years in a particular order. Long needles are very useful in early development because you need the vigor of the larger leaves to grow a trunk, grow a nice root system, and to quickly recover from the repots you'll be doing. The most useful thing to do next is to learn JBP techniques which will translate reasonably well to JRP.

Back
Top Bottom