Japanese Maple

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I know.I am making a thread about Japanese Maple and I have not even really grown them yet.It is totally going to start with the 5 whips I am buying from Evergreen.
It will involve mini bonsai with Japanese maple.
I am going to propagate these every year and really try to learn this species and have fun doing it.
I like small size bonsai because I can have more of them.
The link below is the absolute best place I can find to create small trees.Just look and learn from it.It is Japanese.
I am in the process of saving quite a lot of the Japanese maple photos from this fantastic blog for endless inspiration on how to make mini-bonsai with Japanese Maple.
Here are just a few pictures and also the great link.
Great thanks to the author of the blog!
http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/fwnt1093/MYBLOG/yblog.html/?m=lc&p=10

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 139
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    50.5 KB · Views: 139
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    44.8 KB · Views: 138
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    33.8 KB · Views: 138
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 131
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 131

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This looks like a lot of fun. Love the little guys on the link. Good luck ;)

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This looks like a lot of fun. Love the little guys on the link. Good luck ;)
Thanks,Fred.Should be very fun.I am wondering if I should locate the grow bed in part sun for whips in the ground when I plant them this autumn.I am going to grow them out in colanders to prepare them.

I like that blog too.
Super mini's in thimble size pots looks to be fun (I guess that means I'm a 'girly-man').
Thanks,Oso.I probably will not grow in pots that small.I really like the idea of air-layering mini clumps and such.And also getting the opportunity to grow the standard green leaf Japanese maple.I remember Mach5 mentioning the vigor of them.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have gradually gone away from small trees, but these pictures really do show what fun and great little trees you can create with Japanese maples. I think I would be making nothing but mini clumps all day long! :p

Since you want to make such small trees you may want to look into kotohime as well. I have a shohin maple with SUPER tiny internodes and buds. Not sure what it is. I am fairly certain is neither kiyohime nor kotohime. If I am able to get a cutting or air layer from it, I will send it to you. :)

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Since you want to make such small trees you may want to look into kotohime as well. I have a shohin maple with SUPER tiny internodes and buds. Not sure what it is. I am fairly certain is neither kiyohime nor kotohime.

I stumbled upon an hanami nishiki at a local nursery last year. Now, the question is, 'did any of my cuttings make it through the winter? And now there is a second question, 'any chance you also have a hanami nishiki, @MACH5 ?'

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I stumbled upon an hanami nishiki at a local nursery last year. Now, the question is, 'did any of my cuttings make it through the winter? And now there is a second question, 'any chance you also have a hanami nishiki, @MACH5 ?'

Oso you've got pics?

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have gradually gone away from small trees, but these pictures really do show what fun and great little trees you can create with Japanese maples. I think I would be making nothing but mini clumps all day long! :p

Since you want to make such small trees you may want to look into kotohime as well. I have a shohin maple with SUPER tiny internodes and buds. Not sure what it is. I am fairly certain is neither kiyohime nor kotohime. If I am able to get a cutting or air layer from it, I will send it to you. :)
Hey thanks,Mach5.Very kind indeed!
I do not know if I get a Kotohime this year.Already made my yearly bonsai purchase.
Brent sais' his green seedlings are small leaf,with short internodes also.That is a good thing to hope for.
Forgive me if my responses are late.I was thinking about giving up my guitar for more bonsai time,but realized today that is not going to happen.
I'm addicted to classical guitar AND bonsai:rolleyes:
I will definately keep all my threads updated frequently though.
My plan is to step up my game with the bonsai this year.And also purchase a tree of quality per year.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I know.I am making a thread about Japanese Maple and I have not even really grown them yet.It is totally going to start with the 5 whips I am buying from Evergreen.
It will involve mini bonsai with Japanese maple.
I am going to propagate these every year and really try to learn this species and have fun doing it.
I like small size bonsai because I can have more of them.
The link below is the absolute best place I can find to create small trees.Just look and learn from it.It is Japanese.
I am in the process of saving quite a lot of the Japanese maple photos from this fantastic blog for endless inspiration on how to make mini-bonsai with Japanese Maple.
Here are just a few pictures and also the great link.
Great thanks to the author of the blog!
http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/fwnt1093/MYBLOG/yblog.html/?m=lc&p=10
I have enjoyed looking over this blog! Lots of cool little projects, layers and grafts, shows step by step how to do it... You don't even have to know the language.

Thanks for posting it- Gave me a whole new perspective on tiny Maples!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hey thanks,Mach5.Very kind indeed!
I do not know if I get a Kotohime this year.Already made my yearly bonsai purchase.
Brent sais' his green seedlings are small leaf,with short internodes also.That is a good thing to hope for.
Forgive me if my responses are late.I was thinking about giving up my guitar for more bonsai time,but realized today that is not going to happen.
I'm addicted to classical guitar AND bonsai:rolleyes:
I will definately keep all my threads updated frequently though.
My plan is to step up my game with the bonsai this year.And also purchase a tree of quality per year.

I think you can certainly do both. I wish I knew how to play guitar. About 15 years ago I got addicted to coral reef tanks. Today I am just as passionate about it as I was then. I have kept up with both, bonsai and reef tanks. Not sure how but I have. Now I am farming corals for sale out of my basement and the little money I make goes you know where! ;)

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have enjoyed looking over this blog! Lots of cool little projects, layers and grafts, shows step by step how to do it... You don't even have to know the language.

Thanks for posting it- Gave me a whole new perspective on tiny Maples!
Yup.It really is cool.This planting of whips is something I plan on doing as a bit of a distraction for lack of a better word.Come to think of it though I will probably end up not having many large trees in my bonsai journey,even ones I purchase will be smaller ones,but good ones 12" or less is good for me.
Ever since I seen air layers made in two weeks with zelkovas I have been intrigued with this blog.
I actually wanted to go with trident maple initially.I was going to purchase Evergreens Roughbark cuttings,but just not sure of the cold hardiness for me to be planting whips in the ground.
I am hoping I can winter trident maple bonsai because I am itching to purchase one next year.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Has anyone seen a trident maple one gallon whip planted in the ground and survive around zone 7a southeast Pennsylvania? I still would love to propagate Evergreens Roughbark.My cold frame probably gets as low as 26 degrees in winter,I believe I can over winter trident bonsai in there.I am going to re-read Evergreens discription.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Done! I just ordered two small cuttings of Evergreens Roughbark trident maple,now I am excited.I really want to propagate thes also.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So,I ordered 5 trident maple Evergreens Roughbark.
Just to be on the safe side I am not going to plant these this autumn like I usually do after a season of growth.I will instead keep them in the cold frame for first winter and plant in spring 2017. That way they will have that whole growing season to grow tap roots in the grow bed and put on growth and be prepared for winter in my location.
Very excited about growing Trident maple.I seen a few mammoth trunks growing at Howard McNeil's bonsai garden in the ground about a decade ago.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
image.jpeg Evergreen Gardenworks trees arrived.:D

Welp,a table full of whips.All in great condition and growing tall too.
Going to prepare these for planting in the ground by getting a good size rootball in these colanders.
These will be propagation trees.Going to take cuttings next year and start the process.Then I can add shape early on and grow leaders.Also air-layering.
These are in filtered light at the back of one of my covered tables.
When they get bigger I will locate the 2x12 to the edge of a grove of trees that has bright open sky above,but no direct sun after midday.

5 small leaf green Japanese maple and 5 Evergreens Roughbark trident maple.

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

send it to me 2!

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Last edited:
Top Bottom