japanese maple & sun

jimlau

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
i'm in zone 5/6. do green and blood good maples already need shade from direct sun when it's 75-80 degrees out?

thanks.

Probably not at those temps. Any hotter for any length of time and maybe.

i'm in zone 5/6. do green and blood good maples already need shade from direct sun when it's 75-80 degrees out?

thanks.

My palmatums receive direct mid day sun for 3-4 hours down here in N GA and love it, though by August, the leaves are a bit ratty. Protection from the worst of the mid day sun isn't a bad idea, but personally, I think wind is a bigger issue.

70-80 should be fine

Im in zone 7B and my maples get sunburned leaves in the summer if I leave them in full sun and it gets above 90 with a heat index.

BTW the zone number is more an indicator of frost and cold hardiness than it is heat tolerance

I'm new to Japanese Maples. Does this look like leaf burn or something else? It got over 90 degrees here in VA the last 2 days. My maples got a lot of sun yesterday but I moved them into a shadier spot today. They were looking pretty rough when I got home from work today.

Looks like leaf burn to me. They will be fine if you put them in a shadier spot protected from the sun from noon-on. At least that seems to work for me. I did have mine in direct sun until about noon, and due to the 90 degree heat we have had every day for the past week I have notice a little bit of leaf burn spots. I will keep them there until June (unless they start burning progressively worse) at which time I will place them under an old live oak tree for the rest of the summer.

You keeping them wet? Almost looks like overwater burn/wilt.
But there so fine between the two it hard to tell.

Back
Top Bottom