Japanese Maple Styled By Bjorn Bjorholm

Leon

Yamadori
Reaction score
Today I finally got the opportunity to meet Bjorn Bjorholm. Thought I share this Japanese Maple that was styled at his nursery. It was great learning from him at this workshop. I'm still new at Bonsai but I will go again for sure. Hope yall enjoy.

Attachments

• 20200224_141136(0).jpg
    20200224_141136(0).jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 457
  • 20200224_132000.jpg
    20200224_132000.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 441
  • 20200224_202044.jpg
    20200224_202044.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 377
  • 20191117_075937.jpg
    20191117_075937.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 363
  • 20190507_071927.jpg
    20190507_071927.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 345
Really beautiful! Very natural looking. Wondering about that lower branch that crosses right through the trunk line. Perhaps it's just me?
From what I can tell, it eminates from what used to be an eye-poker branch so he probably chose the lesser of the two evils?

From what I can tell, it eminates from what used to be an eye-poker branch so he probably chose the lesser of the two evils?

Yes, quite possible. I'm sure Bjorn was aware and curious what he was thinking or future plan. Also always tough to accurately assess trees from photos. Regardless love the tree!

Yes, quite possible. I'm sure Bjorn was aware and curious what he was thinking or future plan. Also always tough to accurately assess trees from photos. Regardless love the tree!
Yes, he suggested to cut aggressively but I told him to think unorthodox and use what we have and improve the tree overall. The tree has the natural look and he saw what I meant after he styled it. When a talented artist put his own touch and vision to something, it can really transform. I like how the tree ended.

Regarding the branches, the tree has its cons and pro. I see bonsai trees not in perfect form can create uniqueness which is an unorthodox form of the bonsai art. I'm new at this so its just my opinion.

It's a high end tree for a beginner. Probably the most valuable though was time spent learning from one of the best.

It's a high end tree for a beginner. Probably the most valuable though was time spent learning from one of the best.
Yes, the opportunity to show his techniques one on one was great. I learned alot. I would recommend to do the same if you're in the area.

Today I finally got the opportunity to meet Bjorn Bjorholm. Thought I share this Japanese Maple that was styled at his nursery. It was great learning from him at this workshop. I'm still new at Bonsai but I will go again for sure. Hope yall enjoy.

Is this Acer palmatum 'Kiyohime'? If not, which cultivar of Acer palmatum is it?
Thank you

I believe its Acer Palmatum Sharp's Pygmy. That's the common name for this maple type.

Thank you. Bjorn holds workshops for my local bonsai club every once in a while so I look forward to meeting him the next time he comes down to Birmingham Al and has one.

Your tree looks wonderful, keep it up.

Back
Top Bottom