Japanese maple raft project

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
That makes sense. You say “at that point”-referring to 4-6 weeks after the wiring, right? What if you don’t wire branches- still the same time roughly?
Yes, the timing allows any introduced curves to set as well as to allow the latent buds to mature to facilitate back budding after the cut back.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yes, the timing allows any introduced curves to set as well as to allow the latent buds to mature to facilitate back budding after the cut back.
Again, makes perfect sense. Thank you kind sir. Everyone seems to “know” -what- to do, but not -why- they do it.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So this happened today… Perhaps, a bit prematurely, but I figured I needed to get this thing into a show before I killed it :). I had a few pots to choose from… None are perfect as I really think I need a very large narrow pot to highlight the negative space off to the right underneath the horizontal part of the trunk . I chose the glazed green rectangle over the very nice, old cream oval because there was just a bit more room for the roots to grow and continue to develop… Though there’s a very good possibility this one will end up back in a training pot again.
FDA3B419-E3B0-497D-84B4-E264C8BE12B1.jpegE68380C2-8763-4A19-93F4-12AC297F0754.jpeg98C81EFC-8F11-4CB8-99B2-53593E692834.jpegB21ABF70-5C94-43F2-8DAB-7B59CF24DB01.jpeg8B08CCDD-7CDA-4C51-9537-ED2896AAADC8.jpeg

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So this happened today… Perhaps, a bit prematurely, but I figured I needed to get this thing into a show before I killed it :). I had a few pots to choose from… None are perfect as I really think I need a very large narrow pot to highlight the negative space off to the right underneath the horizontal part of the trunk . I chose the glazed green rectangle over the very nice, old cream oval because there was just a bit more room for the roots to grow and continue to develop… Though there’s a very good possibility this one will end up back in a training pot again.
View attachment 228815View attachment 228816View attachment 228817View attachment 228818View attachment 228819
and is this for the ABS show next month?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Really cool tree. I'm guessing you collected it? What do you treat the hollow with?
I’ve treated the hollowed out portion of the trunk with nothing but love :). Seriously, I’m letting it rot naturally for a bit. By the way, I started this as a cutting probably 20 years ago… I’m pretty sure you can read the whole story at the beginning of this thread.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Very nice raft and the two pots you were looking at are exceptional also! Thanks for the show Dave.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, just came across this thread. /Outstanding/ raft. I really love it. I hope it continues to develop well for you. I do like the second tray pot better that is rectangular only because it looks less crowded. Otheewise I like the shape and color of the oval but it seems a bit too small. This could be an excellent one for a layered slab rolled tray that's rough and made to look like stone.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve been on the hunt for a pot stretcher for years. No luck so far, but if that changes, I’ll holler!
Then good I saw your comment. Just pick you up a /hat/ stretcher from any Western wear store! You can insert it into a low hand thrown pot and open it up. Obviously the style with a knob on it would be better than the style where you have to rotate one end to open or close it. If you get more than one you can reshape the wood on each side for various arcs. If you need different sizes you can use one as a 'pattern' to make your own much smaller or larger. They are very simple.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Dav4 I don't know Japanese maple cultivars well. But your tree has me wanting to scour the landscape nurseries in search of one with some movement I could train a branch into a raft. Is there any I should stay away from...do you know. Or ones which would be better/hardier for bonsai. Could be my hunting project this year.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Dav4 I don't know Japanese maple cultivars well. But your tree has me wanting to scour the landscape nurseries in search of one with some movement I could train a branch into a raft. Is there any I should stay away from...do you know. Or ones which would be better/hardier for bonsai. Could be my hunting project this year.
I'd recommend a standard Acer palmatum. Cold hardy and vigorous, and very responsive to growing in a pot. Don't forget that this one started as just a palmatum cutting. I'd get a whip/ 1 yr old seedling and wire the trunk for shape, then grow out for a few years to build bulk, then see what you have.

Top Bottom