Japanese maple raft project

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Repotted today. This one really likes to grow roots! Looking forward to getting this into a shallower pot to show off the nebari, but it's back into the deep training pot for another 3 or 5 years.View attachment 137724View attachment 137725
Cool, man! Have you thought of graft trunks to the other side of the callous?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Such a cool project, rarely seen but always mind blowing when done well.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
If I say @Roy Minarai enough times, maybe one of these slick puppies could find it's way under your "Yule Log" this holiday season?!?!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
View attachment 180406
That's something to really think about. Roy's long pots really do have a lot of Wabi Sabi going on with the subtle irregularities in the body and the glaze... I guess my daughter WILL be taking loans out for school next fall!

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes, a picture better describes my thought.
View attachment 180412

Use threads or rooted cuttings from this tree and I think no one could tell in the end.

:oops: Thread grafts in either case: one as branches still on the tree, the other as branches cut from the tree, then rooted, then thread grafted. Point is tissue of this tree, not some random seedlings.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Use threads or rooted cuttings from this tree and I think no one could tell in the end.

:oops: Thread grafts in either case: one as branches still on the tree, the other as branches cut from the tree, then rooted, then thread grafted. Point is tissue of this tree, not some random seedlings.
Fwiw, the two main trunks on the left were all started as approach grafts from existing branches. At this point, I think I'll stick with what secondary trunks are present and develop them going forward.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I imagine you could put in a dropped branch somewhere in the future. ? I'm serious.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Fwiw, the two main trunks on the left were all started as approach grafts from existing branches. At this point, I think I'll stick with what secondary trunks are present and develop them going forward.
So that is why it looks so damn good!
I was wondering ....:D

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
6 weeks of growing later and this one was in need of a hack back and wiring. I brought it in to our club meeting with Kathy Shaner who really liked it. We tweaked the branches a bit and talked about the future pot/planting for it. She mentioned a stone as a possibility... hmmmm.
22EEEB00-700B-4D26-A2ED-EDA964B97426.jpeg6C0EC19F-00C4-4AFB-84E1-08D3D9BA16F6.jpeg182EE476-8452-4FF4-952A-228147D1360B.jpegB309DE50-6D06-4AE3-ABE5-AE85A02B82A7.jpeg

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
6 weeks of growing later and this one was in need of a hack back and wiring. I brought it in to our club meeting with Kathy Shaner who really liked it. We tweaked the branches a bit and talked about the future pot/planting for it. She mentioned a stone as a possibility... hmmmm.
View attachment 188399View attachment 188400View attachment 188401View attachment 188402
I don't know, I kind of like the upside down mica pot and wooden box combo

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
View attachment 188399View attachment 188400View attachment 188401View attachment 188402
Something that has always confused me; how do you know when to cutback? I’ve always heard when the shoots lignify but I can’t tell if yours had done that first, looks like the tips were still growing?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Something that has always confused me; how do you know when to cutback? I’ve always heard when the shoots lignify but I can’t tell if yours had done that first, looks like the tips were still growing?
So, my understanding of the process is to wire out the new growth once the leaves on the lower portion of the shoot have hardened off but before the branch has lignified... this allows the wire to produce sharper curves lower in the branch that will typically set in 4-6 weeks. At that point, you unwire, cut back appropriately and hopefully repeat the process over again once or twice more before dormancy arrives. I started doing this on my maples last year and it seems to work well.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So, my understanding of the process is to wire out the new growth once the leaves on the lower portion of the shoot have hardened off but before the branch has lignified... this allows the wire to produce sharper curves lower in the branch that will typically set in 4-6 weeks. At that point, you unwire, cut back appropriately and hopefully repeat the process over again once or twice more before dormancy arrives. I started doing this on my maples last year and it seems to work well.
That makes sense. You say “at that point”-referring to 4-6 weeks after the wiring, right? What if you don’t wire branches- still the same time roughly?

Top Bottom