Japanese Blueberry (Elaeocarpus Decipiens) as bonsai?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Anyone tried to bonsai a Japanese Blueberry?

I can't seem to find any bonsai pic of it through Google and wondering if I chose a wrong plant to bonsai. I got one about 8 months ago as a nursery reject with lots of deadwood. The 2 live branches (on one side of the tree) has been growing well since but I have no idea where to take it yet.

My initial assessment is that the leaves do reduce and wood is hard enough that all the deadwood are still intact after 8 months w/o any special treatment. The leaves turn nice red before dying any time of the year so it is a big bonus.

Looks promising but the lack of anyone using it makes me wonder.

Any input is much appreciated. Thanks!

I am growing several right now for bonsai. They are all still little whips. :rolleyes:

It seems as if they have good potential, they are commonly used for topiary to boot. Most people would rather work on something with a really tiny leaf already so many species like this one are rather over-looked. To me it's more of a novelty type tree.

I'd like to see some pictures when you work on it. :cool:

I plan on working on mine come spring but can post pics of it before the week ends. It was in a 20 gallon pot when I got it but only 2 small branches near the base was left alive. It ramified a bit since and is bushy now (on one side) but I plan on wiring some of the branches to more them to the other side. :eek:

I had some 35-40 year old stuff lined up for digging this fall and somehow never got around to do it in time. So I may try again this spring. The research I did was that they were touchy,
didn't like their roots messed with and basically were gonna be a labor of love.

Maybe the dumb question of the day:

Do these blueberry tress have any thing to do with blueberries we eat? I've never seen a blueberry 'tree' in a garden or the wild? Blueberries in my world grow in a shrub form.

Last edited:
Maybe the dumb question of the day:

Do these blueberry tress have any thing to do with blueberries we eat? I've never seen a blueberry 'tree' in a garden or the wild? Blueberries in my world grow in a shrub form.
Most species of blueberry do grow as shrubs. In my neck of the woods we have the largest of the species, Sparkleberry or Tree Huckleberry, Vaccinium arboreum, which can grow to about 20 feet and does have a tree form along the lines of crape myrtle. I'm currently testing the species for bonsai.

Zach

This isn't a blueberry--it's just called that. Blueberries that we eat are Vaccinium species. This is sub-tropical species, I think.

That's got more character than I've ever seen on a Eleocarpus before.

I see a sweet bonsai in this stumps future!

Of course I always get a little excited when a carving project rolls around ^_^
Thanks. I am a deadwood junkie myself and for the price it went for, I just can't say no. ;)

As stated by rockm, this is just named that (due to the fruits) but is not really blueberry. :)

Any updates for the tree? I found a couple that has good potencies for bonsai and saw that they do back bud.

Any updates for the tree? I found a couple that has good potencies for bonsai and saw that they do back bud.

Sadly it is gone. I do not know why but branches started wilting while others remained very healthy. One by one they went though...until the entire tree died. It was very healthy and growing vigorously prior.

They are great

They are great landscape trees, can get very large. Don't know about bonsai.

They are subtropical and would likely need some overwinter care for you.

Start with a healthy plant and try again.

They are great landscape trees, can get very large. Don't know about bonsai.

They are subtropical and would likely need some overwinter care for you.

Start with a healthy plant and try again.
Thanks! Good to know.

That's probably what killed it, I didn't protect it last winter. It did sprout new leaves on spring but must be very weak.

A shame since it has really nice colors (yellow, orange, red, etc.) before the old leaves fall (year round).

Found this thread while researching Eleocarpus as bonsai. Not much on the internet by the Japanese Blueberry name. Little more info under Eleocarpus. I picked up nice candidate today. It has a 7" base, nice taper and plenty of branches to work with. I'm going to start it's own thread but figured I would post on this thread as well (being this thread appeared in an internet search).

Attachments

• 0407171735.jpg
    0407171735.jpg
    478.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 0407171513.jpg
    0407171513.jpg
    428.2 KB · Views: 27
Back
Top Bottom