Japanese black pine starting to bud right before winter.

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello,

My first Japanese black pine got a weekend of more sun than usual after a weekend out of town. I believe it caused to think it was spring again and it's starting to bud out. I don't want to lose all the energy it stored for the spring so is there any way I can stop it from extending candles? If not, is there anything specific that I need to do to make sure it survives the winter?

Attachments

• 20171030_152615.jpg
    20171030_152615.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 94
  • 20171030_152623.jpg
    20171030_152623.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 20171030_152638.jpg
    20171030_152638.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 92

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Is this pine being grown outdoors? What part of the country is your outdoors in? Big difference between Georgia and Montana, different answers to your questions as local climate is important.

If you have had this tree indoors, that will be a problem. Your location will determine course of action.

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rodrigo, this is perfectly normal. I don't know where you are but they will do this all winter if the weather is mild and sunshine is abundant. This is a good sign.

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Gary,
Thank you for your response, thays definitely reassuring. I'm in zone 8a, am I expecting actual candles extension, or just budding like this?

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rodrigo, in 8a you will probably get some extension all winter on young and strong trees. Buds or/and extension is a sign of strength.

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That's interesting. Shouldn't pines go into a dormancy period of no growth?

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Is this pine being grown outdoors? What part of the country is your outdoors in? Big difference between Georgia and Montana, different answers to your questions as local climate is important.

If you have had this tree indoors, that will be a problem. Your location will determine course of action.
Leo, that's a good point. It has been growing in Texas outdoors. We're just now getting into a bit cooler weather as of a few weeks.

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Leo, that's a good point. It has been growing in Texas outdoors. We're just now getting into a bit cooler weather as of a few weeks.

Ah, you're in zone 8, compared to my climate, almost tropical. JBP native range includes the southern most islands of Japan, so more than many pines, they are adapted to, and take advantage of long growing seasons and mild winters.

Don't worry, what you are seeing is normal. It will be fine all winter, don't try to "protect it" when the cold does come, new growth will be fine and hardy through a Texas winter. Leave it outside.

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm in the Dallas area also and yeah if you didn't have those buds you would have something to worry about because those are going to be next summers candles. Fertilize your JBP good and you will have happy healthy candles which will mean happy healthy trees. Just remember these are pines not deciduous trees so the budding and the care for them are different . :)D3C_8892_pe_pezzz.jpg

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm in the Dallas area also and yeah if you didn't have those buds you would have something to worry about because those are going to be next summers candles. Fertilize your JBP good and you will have happy healthy candles which will mean happy healthy trees. Just remember these are pines not deciduous trees so the budding and the care for them are different . :)View attachment 167386
That's a beautiful pine! Definitely got a long ways to go with mine to get anywhere near that point. Thanks for the clarification though!

Thank you to everyone that has responded as well!

Rodrigo

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's a beautiful pine
Thanks, it is a rather nice looking pine but did you notice the one major flaw in that tree, something I wish I could remedy but can't? That branch coming out of the inside curve is a horrible thing to look at but it holds all the back foliage and has to stay right where it is. I tried looking at different angles of the tree to see if something better would work but there really isn't any. :-(

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks, it is a rather nice looking pine but did you notice the one major flaw in that tree, something I wish I could remedy but can't? That branch coming out of the inside curve is a horrible thing to look at but it holds all the back foliage and has to stay right where it is. I tried looking at different angles of the tree to see if something better would work but there really isn't any. :-(
I did notice that actually.. But sometimes trees throw us curve balls and we have to work with what we have, right? Still a great tree imo.

Top Bottom