Jade Forest.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
This group was started January 2020. C0F1380F-2A4D-4717-8AAF-12E16D5F7288.jpeg
It started as a few rooted cuttings + some new cutting off the mother jade. 2A79859E-6F9C-4215-83F6-F01DC970BD6D.jpeg
Some pics there after. D0B6FC13-F0DD-4B5C-8B6F-015F435BDDD3.jpegB88B7BD1-A1AC-4913-B680-50BE9428C883.jpegA30925BA-3168-4CAE-B172-954AB09F3274.jpegC40206C5-65A9-47DE-82F4-847E310C1FB2.jpegC40206C5-65A9-47DE-82F4-847E310C1FB2.jpegB88B7BD1-A1AC-4913-B680-50BE9428C883.jpeg79CB8F9D-54B4-44E1-9222-9D91D48C0F4C.jpegB88B7BD1-A1AC-4913-B680-50BE9428C883.jpegC40206C5-65A9-47DE-82F4-847E310C1FB2.jpegAs they started to grow out, I began pruning into a triangular shape.
June 2020:
D6E59572-AFA7-4B4F-8A6B-C9A2A606ED14.jpeg

From there on, just letting them grow, taking cuttings along the way.

Some very nice stuff here. I inherited a couple larger Jades from my father in law. I just trimmed one back pretty heavily and planted the cuttings in a similar way in a grow box I built. Hopefully a nice forest could come of it. I see you are in Zone 4, do you keep your Jade inside year round? This one had been indoors all its life as far as I know. The growth was very leggy. The other I have was so big I put it outside last summer with nowhere else to put it and it thrived. I just acclimated this one to being outside before the trim. Reason I ask is yours look super healthy for being in a colder climate. What is your setup for indoor growing? I would like to get something good going for them this winter so I don’t lost all the progress from this growing season.

Attachments

• IMG_6982.jpeg
    IMG_6982.jpeg
    343.1 KB · Views: 26
Some very nice stuff here. I inherited a couple larger Jades from my father in law. I just trimmed one back pretty heavily and planted the cuttings in a similar way in a grow box I built. Hopefully a nice forest could come of it. I see you are in Zone 4, do you keep your Jade inside year round? This one had been indoors all its life as far as I know. The growth was very leggy. The other I have was so big I put it outside last summer with nowhere else to put it and it thrived. I just acclimated this one to being outside before the trim. Reason I ask is yours look super healthy for being in a colder climate. What is your setup for indoor growing? I would like to get something good going for them this winter so I don’t lost all the progress from this growing season.
I keep all my plants outside as long as I can.
When nighttime temps start creeping on 45 degrees F. The jades and other succulents go in the basement under grow lights.

I already have so many cuttings though!

This is the leading factor for me not keeping my jades as trim as I'd like. I keep telling myself I'm going to focus more on the trees/plants that I feel more strongly for, but then these cuttings keep creeping up on me! I've got at least 3 that could use a chop or some shaping but have been putting it off because I'm still at the point in my overall learning/growth where throwing material away hurts (but I absolutely don't need it. Quality over quantity, or something?).

Your planting is looking great! It's inspiring me to do a bit more with what I'm growing. Beautiful stuff, thanks for sharing!

This is the leading factor for me not keeping my jades as trim as I'd like. I keep telling myself I'm going to focus more on the trees/plants that I feel more strongly for, but then these cuttings keep creeping up on me! I've got at least 3 that could use a chop or some shaping but have been putting it off because I'm still at the point in my overall learning/growth where throwing material away hurts (but I absolutely don't need it. Quality over quantity, or something?).

Your planting is looking great! It's inspiring me to do a bit more with what I'm growing. Beautiful stuff, thanks for sharing!
Thanks a lot! Yeah, it’s tough tossing the good size cuttings out. I might just have to do another forest. easiest way to contain all these.
Most of the cuttings get given away when they reach a certain point. As of now, I can’t think of anyone else who wants anymore! 🤣🤣

Very pretty forest!

I also hate to waste cuttings. Fortunately in my area there is a FaceBook group of plant folks who like to share cuttings. I always let them know before I trim my 45 year old jade. Hubby and I bought it on our honeymoon, so the plant folks call it "the Love Jade", isn't that sweet?

I keep my jades outside in the summer but bring them inside like Eckhoffw does when the temps start falling to below 50F consistently at night.

Now I need to make a forest!!

Very pretty forest!

I also hate to waste cuttings. Fortunately in my area there is a FaceBook group of plant folks who like to share cuttings. I always let them know before I trim my 45 year old jade. Hubby and I bought it on our honeymoon, so the plant folks call it "the Love Jade", isn't that sweet?

I keep my jades outside in the summer but bring them inside like Eckhoffw does when the temps start falling to below 50F consistently at night.

Now I need to make a forest!!
Thanks for sharing!
I would love to see the Love Jade!
45+ years?!! Congrats!
Must be a lovely couple, and a lovely tree!

Went ahead and consolidated some of my established cuttings with new ones to make another forest. I had this (IMO) ugly casserole like container without wire tie down holes I figured I’d make work IMG_9848.jpeg
These cuttings have been in these pots 1-2 years.
Cleaned them up. IMG_9851.jpeg
The pot just has 2 drainage holes, so I put an anchor wire between them to wire in the bigger cuttings. IMG_9847.jpegIMG_9850.jpegPotted up!IMG_9853.jpeg

A little trim today.

It’s definitely getting bigger.
I’ve debated with repotting this group. They’ve been in this box for 4 years. But then again, I feel they will be fine for a year or so longer.
🤷‍♀️

Front.
IMG_1688.jpegIMG_1689.jpeg
This is the back side & have let it fill in.
I think it serves as a backdrop for the view in front.

Nice forest! Really liking the canopy and overall composition.

Very interested in this box you've made, it would be great to see some deets on it. It looks way nicer than most grow boxes and looks like there's a removable tray?

Nice forest! Really liking the canopy and overall composition.

Very interested in this box you've made, it would be great to see some deets on it. It looks way nicer than most grow boxes and looks like there's a removable tray?
Yes, I stole Nigel Saunders idea of making a cedar box that fit around the standard planting tray.
Just beveled 3/4” cedar and mitered.
I put in a strip of 3/4” around the bottom inside walls, with a center support rail.

I drilled many holes in the tray. IMG_1697.jpeg

Dimensions are about 11” x 21 ”x 3.5”.

I like to make nicer wood boxes even though they are relatively short lived.
Even with the waterproof wood glue, joints open up.

Yes, I stole Nigel Saunders idea of making a cedar box that fit around the standard planting tray.
Just beveled 3/4” cedar and mitered.
I put in a strip of 3/4” around the bottom inside walls, with a center support rail.

I drilled many holes in the tray. View attachment 553204

Dimensions are about 11” x 21 ”x 3.5”.

I like to make nicer wood boxes even though they are relatively short lived.
Even with the waterproof wood glue, joints open up.
Thanks @Eckhoffw !! That's a super nice grow box even if the joints do open up a bit. Thank you very much for the deets!

Back
Top Bottom