Jade Forest Beginning

nurvbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A?
Jade Forest Beginning

Hi,

I was curious to see how this might be starting out. I used layers of perlite and spagnum. There seems to be a difference of opinions on succulents and water retention issues with using peat moss. I was hoping to clear that up here. Thoughts otherwise? How’s the style? I grew cuttings from a jade tree and that is mostly what you see. The two larger in the back I tried to root it in some potting mix and no avail. Thought I’d try perlite here. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_3206.jpeg
    IMG_3206.jpeg
    293.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3205.jpeg
    IMG_3205.jpeg
    255.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3204.jpeg
    IMG_3204.jpeg
    251.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3202.jpeg
    IMG_3202.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3201.jpeg
    IMG_3201.jpeg
    239.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3199.jpeg
    IMG_3199.jpeg
    214.5 KB · Views: 14
I've been in your exact shoes, with a forest much like that. What I found, growth was very slow. So much so that I pulled one forest out and plonked it in the ground. With dwarf Jade, they respond very well to root restrictions, meaning slow growth and tighter internodes. Others I broke apart and am growing individually.

On the plus side, they also respond to root reduction incredibly well, so when grown to close to final size, they can be fit into a forest.

I don't mean to tell you what to do, only my experience. I really enjoy growing dwarf jade.

I've been in your exact shoes, with a forest much like that. What I found, growth was very slow. So much so that I pulled one forest out and plonked it in the ground. With dwarf Jade, they respond very well to root restrictions, meaning slow growth and tighter internodes. Others I broke apart and am growing individually.

On the plus side, they also respond to root reduction incredibly well, so when grown to close to final size, they can be fit into a forest.

I don't mean to tell you what to do, only my experience. I really enjoy growing dwarf jade.
Thank you for your input. Can you clarify what exactly you’re suggesting though? I don’t have any yard space to put these into the ground as I live in an apartment. I’m expecting slow growth perhaps but based on your experience, it sounds like it’s going to be having tortoise speed. Correct correct?

Back
Top Bottom