Its Spring!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Is that some sort of viburnum? I've never seen such a large trunk on one if so. Very nice, and looks fragrant.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It was spring at the end of January, then we got winter for most of March. It's second spring!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ok, that makes more sense, the clusters look similar. Pretty cool.

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Spring in Wyomissing, Pennsylvania!!! This one is a nice dry snow at 32 F, so it is sticking to the trees and not drippy. About 8" as of 5:00 PM.

Attachments

• 20180321_171118.jpg
    20180321_171118.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20180321_172004 (1).jpg
    20180321_172004 (1).jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 8

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I had a couple of plants try to bud out a few weeks ago when we had a warm spell, but not they've all stalled. We're getting a nor'easter as I speak.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Okay, that was nice, kind of a prelude to up and coming events, but seriously, we get some of our worst storms in early spring.
It's coming down hard and heavy this morning with a possible 1'-3' by tomorrow evening. Gotta love it or you run screaming in the direction of California.

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Okay, that was nice, kind of a prelude to up and coming events, but seriously, we get some of our worst storms in early spring.
It's coming down hard and heavy this morning with a possible 1'-3' by tomorrow evening. Gotta love it or you run screaming in the direction of California.

California, is beautiful, but I will take the snow, thank you. Would not want it 12 months a year, but I don't want dry warm weather 12 months a year either. Seasonal variation. I will say, California has it all, if you are willing to travel a bit.

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I can't believe we are looking at a legitimate snow storm on the second day of April. I only have one tree that is starting to leaf out and I thought, "lows of 32F-33F, even with snow, should do no damage to new leaves because the temperature is not going to be below freezing". Then I thought again and remembered from my experience in Florida how tender vegetation is damaged by contact with frost (which is freezing), even when the air temperature at 5 feet above ground is well above freezing. So perhaps the same principle applies? On the other hand, the difference might be that, for example, the foliage of a coconut palm and other tropical species, is damaged/killed by exposure to temperatures right around (and below of course) freezing, whereas the tissues in the brand new leaves of a temperate tree such as a maple may not be damaged until temperatures fall to, say 27F-29F. Thus, contact with snow and air temperatures in the low 30s would not damage a maple?

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The snow is not the problem. In fact, if temps drop below freezing, the snow will insulate the plant. We're expected to get up to 6 inches today.

Top Bottom