Itoigawa juniper Stock

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Good work & nicely documented too, any thoughts on what type of pot you are looking for or is it a I will know it when I see it type pot hunt
Still looking for just the right bag-shaped oval.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
An update. Repotted this spring, still haven’t found the perfect pot, but this one works for now.
15B3779D-7BA3-4705-8132-A862877FD66C.jpeg24D98679-FEB7-4502-9B26-FC36D58996D9.jpeg
In June, it is starting to issue runners, so it is a good time to do some trimming.
6E0AACFB-7FD5-4599-B206-80299774CC30.jpeg
After removing everything growing down, weak growth, runners, and thinning some congested areas:
F3CE6DED-CFBF-4C73-97FA-2769FBA17ED4.jpeg
And finally, scrubbing the trunk and applying a diluted lime-sulfur solution to deadwood:
5B942C30-D801-49F4-AEB1-058174980028.jpeg
In the fall, it can be pruned again, and wired. Currently, only one wire is on the tree to tame a lower right branch.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Brian, love this thread and the work and vision youve put into this tree.

Some thoughts:
1. Never remove the ten-jinn
2. I really feel like you are losing some of the potential by not showing the full jinn from base to crown. I think you should look again at the back as the front... with the tree wired and full, I dont think the same criticisms from page 4 or 5 about the reverse being a bad and awkward front still apply.
3. I really hope you find that perfect pot. It seems that pot-search is the real story with this tree, and it is a beautiful frustration!

Some questions:
1. Can you explain wiring on this tree? When you wire your branches, I see you pull branches down sharply but it looks odd to me.... then all of a sudden the tree is perfect somehow. My novice understanding of juniper detail wiring is just not where it needs to be, or maybe my understanding on how to develop pads on a juniper. Can you show some close ups of branch wiring when you wire this tree next? It would help me with my own junipers.
2. You mentioned cuttings from the original cascade branch that was cut off. What happened to those cuttings? Any in development?
3. How tall is this tree? Ive never been able to get a good feel for it's size. (Edit: i just noticed the can in your last photos.. so about 18" from soil to apex?")

Great tree.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Brian, love this thread and the work and vision youve put into this tree.

Some thoughts:
1. Never remove the ten-jinn
2. I really feel like you are losing some of the potential by not showing the full jinn from base to crown. I think you should look again at the back as the front... with the tree wired and full, I dont think the same criticisms from page 4 or 5 about the reverse being a bad and awkward front still apply.
3. I really hope you find that perfect pot. It seems that pot-search is the real story with this tree, and it is a beautiful frustration!

Some questions:
1. Can you explain wiring on this tree? When you wire your branches, I see you pull branches down sharply but it looks odd to me.... then all of a sudden the tree is perfect somehow. My novice understanding of juniper detail wiring is just not where it needs to be, or maybe my understanding on how to develop pads on a juniper. Can you show some close ups of branch wiring when you wire this tree next? It would help me with my own junipers.
2. You mentioned cuttings from the original cascade branch that was cut off. What happened to those cuttings? Any in development?
3. How tall is this tree? Ive never been able to get a good feel for it's size. (Edit: i just noticed the can in your last photos.. so about 18" from soil to apex?")

Great tree.
Thanks @Orion_metalhead, I agree with 1&3, and the back as a front is always an option. The next styling I think will involve some pretty heavy branch reduction. While I want to keep the overall design profile, it’s matured enough by now to rework it with some newer and thinner branches. I’ll likely always style it with the option of making either side the front.

On wiring, it’s tough to explain, you’ll just have to go back to the photos and look. The best explanation I’ve heard is on deciduous trees, wire it like your arm is out, palm down, the fingers on your hand point naturally out. With conifers, like your arm is down and palm is up.

I do have a bunch of cuttings growing in the ground from this tree, and a couple are getting pretty big, but no real design work on them yet, just fattening them up. Likely I’ll dig some next spring and prune them back to basic shapes.

Height is about 18” to the top of the jin, not a large tree.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Great progression and awesome tree , the best investment is time , after just completing the first wiring of the only Shimpaku I have , it’s definitely not always guaranteed what the intended vision is for a tree 10 years in future.

monkish

Seed
Reaction score
The amazing itoigawa deep red bark provides such an amazing contrast with the deadwood Shari/Jin. That’s one of. My favorite things about these junipers. Well done!!

Top Bottom