Is this normal?

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Replanted this Prunus 2 weeks ago. The leaf starts to push...now the branches looked like drying out, some tips are turning brown and dying. Should I worry? Or wait and see? The leaves are all at this stage for about two days now...no progression...

Thanks.IMG_20180404_1054404.jpgIMG_20180404_1054548.jpg

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Where are you keeping it?
It looks to me like it was pushing out and maybe dried a bit or was wind burned.
I say this because I have been really aggressive with my root pruning/repotting this year. Way more than I thought possible but the timing was right and I have given them good aftercare - low light and protected from the wind. I have repotted 20+ and they are all still alive and growing well. I have only had 2 issues - bald cypress that I took down to almost nothing and a crab apple. In the case of the bald cypress it pushing new growth but I moved it onto my regular bench too soon and the new leaves dried out from some major wind. I lost some but new ones are coming. The crab apple was bitten by a light frost and some of the leaf tips were a little burned.

Last edited:

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where are you keeping it?
It looks to me like it was pushing out and maybe dried a bit or was wind burned.
I say this because I have been really aggressive with my root pruning/repotting this year. Way more than I thought possible but the timing was right and I have given them good aftercare - low light and protected from the wind. I have repotted 20+ and they are all still alive and growing well. I have only had 2 issues - bald cypress that I took down to almost nothing and a crab apple. In the case of the bald cypress it pushing new growth but I moved it onto my regular bench too soon and the new leaves dried out from some major wind. I lost some but new ones are coming. The crab apple was bitten by a light frost and some of the leaf tips were a little burned.

The leaves don't look dried out. Only the branches. It was in a semi dark humid environment in my basement fish room before I moved it upstairs to my living room by the windows.

Soil is wet (half peat moss and half crushed rocks), I spray the top every morning.

Maybe I should bring it back to the humid room?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You are a little stuck here. The desiccated branches suggest that the root system is compromised. However once buds break you really need to provide the necessary light for the tree to begin to photosynthesize. Right now it is in an energy negative state - a lot of its stored sugars and starches are being used up to push new growth. The only way for it to regain energy is via photosynthesis.

So I would keep it in bright indirect light, but make sure to protect it from heat or dry wind (i.e. don't put it near a radiator, fan, or heat vent). If you have the room, consider creating a temporary humidity tent over the tree. A simple clear plastic garbage bag or plastic painter drop cloth, propped up so it doesn't touch the foliage, is all you need.

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You are a little stuck here. The desiccated branches suggest that the root system is compromised. However once buds break you really need to provide the necessary light for the tree to begin to photosynthesize. Right now it is in an energy negative state - a lot of its stored sugars and starches are being used up to push new growth. The only way for it to regain energy is via photosynthesis.

So I would keep it in bright indirect light, but make sure to protect it from heat or dry wind (i.e. don't put it near a radiator, fan, or heat vent). If you have the room, consider creating a temporary humidity tent over the tree. A simple clear plastic garbage bag or plastic painter drop cloth, propped up so it doesn't touch the foliage, is all you need.

Thank you, do you think if I place it in an aquarium (Closed lid) would that work?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thank you, do you think if I place it in an aquarium (Closed lid) would that work?

Absolutely - just make sure to give it enough light. Stone fruits need full sun if you want them to flower and fruit. Start it in indirect light until you see it actively growing, and then move it to full sun as quickly as possible.

Last edited:

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Absolutely - just make sure to give it enough light. Stone fruits need full sun if you want them to flower and fruit. Start it in indirect light until you see it actively growing, and then move it to full sun as quickly as possible.

Do you think I should fertilizing it as well?

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I can't really find a glass aquarium that'll fit this tree in. I put a clear plastic bag over it sprayed with water...moved it away from the window (on the side of the window)...

Also cut off the dying branches and put on some cutting paste. Hope this tree will pull through....

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi All,

So this is the result. There were a lot of die backs but it back started pushing new shoots.

Also, I was reading I need to trim off first sets of leaves to encourage new branches?

IMG_20180424_0655476.jpgIMG_20180424_0655536.jpg

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Leave it alone or you're going to kill it, as it looks very weak. Get it outside, full sun, feed and water. If those runners take off and end up 12-18" long, I'd consider removing those older leaves in 4-6 weeks.

Thank you. Do you mean all three plants? Or the one in the plastic container? What kind of feed would you recommend? I have them by the window with about 5-6 hours of day light. It is still in the single digits here. Don't want to freeze them.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Put them outside during the day in full sun when it’s above freezing… Protect at night if it is going to fall below. Any balanced fertilizer is fine at this point but, as just wing it noted, you need to be very careful with the weak tree. I’d feed it lightly right now, and more heavily as you’re growing season heats up.

Top Bottom