Is this 20 year old jade worth my time?

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Yeah I have a few of these type of things in my yard, not really a fan of them but if they mean dollars then I might be swayed. I have a monster Crassula in one spot. I was just intending on binning them.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
20171109_183852.jpg 20171109_183832.jpg So I chooched out from that deal, we spoke I was gonna head down there the next morning and he told me he already sold it... eh whatever so I just when on marketplace a week or so ago and picked up an 8 year old sloppy BUT in good shape jade. I sat and looked at it and it was bothering me all 4 jades dropping over like a cascade. So today I chopped the thing down like it was gong out of style I took the best and thickest parts potted them FINALLY used up some of my pits I bought from that bonsai lady up north and kept one for the house as a norm jade, potted 4 jades for my self and took the stocks of the rest if the plant potted it in a nice pot I got at goodwill for 2 bucks planted them and selling them for what I initially paid for the jade 10 bucks.

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Aren't you suppose to let the ends dry out before you pot them up? Otherwise they rot. How are they doing?

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These things could probably root from "where the Sun don't shine"......if you catch my drift....;):):)

Not that I'd know...ahh...ahhh....a friend told me.....:D:D:D:D:D

But seriously, ditch the friggen' houseplants and go to Bonsai West or New England Bonsai Gardens and git' yo self a Brazilian Raintree. Your best bet if you "have" to grow "indoors":cool::cool::cool::cool:

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Iv been to both, I picked up some essentials.. I am a bargain hunter maybe one day I'll see the need to spend a mint on a tree but for right now I save trees people want to get rid of or by them that are dirt cheap :) btw I got rid of most of those plants and ended up picking up a 70 year old up in the mountains of NH. I literally had to cut down to even fit in my car but maybe one day I'll get a Raintree but I like my Ming Aralia :)

I'l post some pics of the Jade and the story behind it it quite interesting.

humboldtmadness

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Those jades you have look nice, good find. They are fun plants. I have one about the size you pictured with a FAT twin trunk. Is it a bonsai? Is it not a bonsai? I don't know, but they are super easy to get into a shape you like, all the stuff you trim off can be rooted, including individual leaves. I paid $40 for mine two years ago and have made $300ish selling the rooted cuttings just from keeping it shaped up. Looks better than when I got it and by next spring I will have gotten a 10 fold return for the pleasure of owning it. They are a good seller for me and help pay for other garden material. Looks like you are doing the same thing, super cool! Just my 2cents.
Sorry for bumping an old thread, I just like seeing other people stoked on nice big jades.

humboldtmadness

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Who buys these? I had a box of 30 or so thrown at me some 2 years back. Just kept one and gave the box back. Seems like these are everywhere?
I don't know, the people who come by and purchase them when I post a plant sale in the fb marketplace and CL.. Jades, and aloe are my best sellers, followed by agave and flower bulbs. I don't make a lot but it certainly helps keep my numbers down because I always have something rooting out and it piles up fast. Usually it is younger people as housewarming gifts, dorm decorations, first apartment spruce up...
All I know is it helps to buy soil and containers for the next round of cuttings that is already piling up by the time they sell.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Old people.
Who buys these? I had a box of 30 or so thrown at me some 2 years back. Just kept one and gave the box back. Seems like these are everywhere?

lol, old people.

Seriously though and especially here in Spain where it is a retirement haven for Europe's pensioners they lap these type of plants up. No care needed for these type of succulents, once they have shipped in all the white gravel they can get their hands on they love them.
This thread bump has given me ideas, a new local FB group has started for plant swap and sell and I can make cuttings of these things all day long. Also have hundreds of self seeded palms I can dig up and for the pretty I'm going to root a bunch of Hybiscus. I bet they go nuts on it all.
Even if I just swap it for compost or other plants I'd be happy.

Random User

Reaction score
I assume they all flower under the right conditions. I didn’t know they flowered either, until moving to SoCal. I doubt they flower indoors, light and temp would be tough to get right. But maybe somebody can prove me wrong. It’s worth noting that mine are budding now and we haven’t had night lows below 50F, so shorter days might the more important factor. Keeping it dry probably also helps.

There is a jade in a garden centre in the province of Manitoba that I first saw about 3 years ago. I asked the manager of the GC about the plant and he couldn't provide much information on it other than that the plant had been in the same greenhouse since the early 1970's (when he first started there) and it was a large plant already when he first started there. It is (because I just saw it about a month ago) in a 1/2 whiskey barrel that is sitting on a wooden pallet to move it around the GC)... taller than I am at 6' tall, and is roughly as wide. The first time that I saw it, it was in full flower and when I saw it a month ago, there was plenty of evidence that it has flowered again this year (what it did last year, I can't recall, but being one of the few GCs open that time of year around here, I'm certain that I was there last year, I just didn't make a mental note of it.) The largest trunks on the plant have to be over 6" (or 15cm) across... I "think" they use it for cuttings to make larger "ready made" office type plants from... it was clear that the manager would prefer that it wasn't in the building.

The one thing that was a huge negative to this particular plant was that each time I've seen it, they are in some mode of trying to contain or control the aphids that are present on the plant. However, I have never bought a plant from them that had an aphid infestation... perhaps, it acts like pepper plants do in attracting aphids on the move.

In February the building is not "warm", and it gets plenty of Prairie sun through the greenhouse... I would also add that it is largely ignored... possibly that is why it is flourishing.

Last edited:

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There is a jade in a garden centre in the province of Manitoba that I first saw about 3 years ago. I asked the manager of the GC about the plant and he couldn't provide much information on it other than that the plant had been in the same greenhouse since the early 1970's (when he first started there) and it was a large plant already when he first started there. It is (because I just saw it about a month ago) in a 1/2 whiskey barrel that is sitting on a wooden pallet to move it around the GC)... taller than I am at 6' tall, and is roughly as wide. The first time that I saw it, it was in full flower and when I saw it a month ago, there was plenty of evidence that it has flowered again this year (what it did last year, I can't recall, but being one of the few GCs open that time of year around here, I'm certain that I was there last year, I just didn't make a mental note of it.) The largest trunks on the plant have to be over 6" (or 15cm) across... I "think" they use it for cuttings to make larger "ready made" office type plants from... it was clear that the manager would prefer that it wasn't in the building.

The one thing that was a huge negative to this particular plant was that each time I've seen it, they are in some mode of trying to contain or control the aphids that are present on the plant. However, I have never bought a plant from them that had an aphid infestation... perhaps, it acts like pepper plants do in attracting aphids on the move.

In February the building is not "warm", and it gets plenty of Prairie sun through the greenhouse... I would also add that it is largely ignored... possibly that is why it is flourishing.

I sometimes get aphids on mine. A quick spray with 70% Isopropyl alcohol kills them.
I get a lot less aphids now that I keep the ant colonies knocked down.

Random User

Reaction score
I am mystified as to why they aren't more diligent at controlling them on this particular plant, especially in a garden centre... if I had to guess, it's because no one really wants it there...

The bigger point to my post was that "they do flower indoors" under the right conditions.

humboldtmadness

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Old people.

lol, old people.

Seriously though and especially here in Spain where it is a retirement haven for Europe's pensioners they lap these type of plants up. No care needed for these type of succulents, once they have shipped in all the white gravel they can get their hands on they love them.
This thread bump has given me ideas, a new local FB group has started for plant swap and sell and I can make cuttings of these things all day long. Also have hundreds of self seeded palms I can dig up and for the pretty I'm going to root a bunch of Hybiscus. I bet they go nuts on it all.
Even if I just swap it for compost or other plants I'd be happy.

Looking at your nice big plant (That thing is a beast) I would guess you have at least a couple hundred nice size cuttings that could be ready to sell pretty quick.. Not sure what the prices are over there but that is several hundred bucks over here. The only drag is buying that many 3inch pots and soil upfront, but if you can do that you would have a killer plant sale by mid summer. I even root the leaves that fall off during trimming and planting. The tiny plants they make I give away as loss leaders to get people to buy more of my higher dollar stuff. I think you could do really well, especially since you plan of having those palms and hybiscus. At least for my plant sales having more than one kind of plant brings in a lot more and higher spending customers because I keep giving incremental discounts if they buy one of everything, lol.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
now that I keep the ant colonies knocked down.
How.. PLEASE! How do you keep them critters knocked down. :) I do not have a square inch in my garden where you will not find ants when you dig :|

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The bigger point to my post was that "they do flower indoors" under the right conditions.
I used to have an older one which flowered every year. Trick here was to leave them outside till nights got near freezing. If I brought them in in early fall, I would not get flowers. I think a cold dormancy period is required to trickerflowering.

Decided to use our best friend google, and found this, confirming my suspicions: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/jade-plant/getting-a-jade-plant-to-bloom.htm

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Looking at your nice big plant (That thing is a beast) I would guess you have at least a couple hundred nice size cuttings that could be ready to sell pretty quick.. Not sure what the prices are over there but that is several hundred bucks over here. The only drag is buying that many 3inch pots and soil upfront, but if you can do that you would have a killer plant sale by mid summer. I even root the leaves that fall off during trimming and planting. The tiny plants they make I give away as loss leaders to get people to buy more of my higher dollar stuff. I think you could do really well, especially since you plan of having those palms and hybiscus. At least for my plant sales having more than one kind of plant brings in a lot more and higher spending customers because I keep giving incremental discounts if they buy one of everything, lol.

I wish we had the kind of market that you guys have, I don't think there is much money in such a thing but I could be surprised. There is always a healthy number of new arrivals with garden projects so who knows. Like I said though I'm happy to do trades for pots, soil, beer that sort of thing. Going to pot a few things up this weekend and in a couple of weeks if they are still alive then I'll test the waters. My plan would be to compare garden center prices and undercut that which can be used for a guideline for trades or cash. Location may be the biggest issue because no way am I faffing about with postage.

How.. PLEASE! How do you keep them critters knocked down. :) I do not have a square inch in my garden where you will not find ants when you dig :|

Ant dust or powder seems to be the best thing, just keep sprinkling it around their nest and trails they use. It works quite well for me and is normally available in supermarkets near the fly spray.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Attachments

• C3637CC8-3ACF-45E3-8F71-D8B273078FF9.jpeg
    C3637CC8-3ACF-45E3-8F71-D8B273078FF9.jpeg
    47.6 KB · Views: 4
Top Bottom