Is there still enough time to chop trident?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
@Mellow Mullet gave me a trident. It is growing out of control. Is there still enough time for it to recover after a chop in zone 9a?

My (limited) experience in zone 5/6 was it took approximately 2-3weeks for new shoots to start (with a spring chop).
That may be a reasonable estimate for a summer chop in your zone.
But, I’m not sure where that would put you for hardening off before leaf drop.

@Shibui has been my go to for trident expertise-he should have more insight (and his zone may be closer to yours)

Not knowing the yearly cycles of Louisiana makes it hard to give solid advice. Even just adding 6 months is not always accurate seasonal conversion.
Not having seen the tree in question or where you plan to chop also raises a number of unknowns that may have direct bearing on what could happen.

Tridents are pretty resilient. I've killed a couple from pruning but most will keep growing despite what I do to them. My gut feeling is most tridents should survive, even late pruning. I've had maples sprout new shoots that retained leaves all winter in my grow beds one year. I've had some that decided not to shoot after late pruning but grew as normal in spring.
There's still some small chance of adverse outcomes so you need to decide:
Any good reason for not waiting until the appropriate time?
Are you willing to take the (slight) risk? (easy come, easy go?)

I cut mine back hard about a month ago in my much cooler zone 6B. The new leaves are fully in and almost completely hardened off. I think you would do very well in your clime.

@Mellow Mullet gave me a trident. It is growing out of control. Is there still enough time for it to recover after a chop in zone 9a?
Too damned hot to chop a trident. It might be in a Summer dormancy period.

Unless you hate it. Then you can chop it any time you like.

As always, the first question should be "Why do you need to do this out of season?"

Too damned hot to chop a trident. It might be in a Summer dormancy period.

Unless you hate it. Then you can chop it any time you like.

As always, the first question should be "Why do you need to do this out of season?"
I am good with letting it grow until next year. There is no rush.

I am good with letting it grow until next year. There is no rush.
That’s a solid plan. I don’t see that chopping now would really gain much. Much better to wait for spring.

I forgot to add: It is never too late to chop someone else's tree.

"Gee, Ted. I really thought you could stump a black pine. Oh well." (we hate Ted)

My trident don't know what the heck is "summer dormancy", it spits out new growth almost the entire year until late OCT-DEC. Right now the crown is about 1/2 full of nice yellow/orange/red new growth leaves. And it is not receiving as much sun as it is used to.

But, after looking at your pic, I would let that thing grow until next year. It doesn't look to be too strong at this time.

So we all agree. You have a nice trident and too much of an urge that you need to stop. DO not cut it and just wait till spring and then take 20 seconds to chop it back.

Now, go out and start a thread showing us this one:
1722455048928.png

So we all agree. You have a nice trident and too much of an urge that you need to stop. DO not cut it and just wait till spring and then take 20 seconds to chop it back.

Now, go out and start a thread showing us this one:
View attachment 560589
I did!

My trident don't know what the heck is "summer dormancy", it spits out new growth almost the entire year
That was rather my point and I am very glad I cut a couple of mine back hard about 4 weeks ago. We have had an unusually hot summer here, but not like you guys further south and some of the temps I've seen in New England this year. My Tridents seem like they never take any time off. My Japanese maples are beginning their late growth phase for the season at this time.

That’s a solid plan. I don’t see that chopping now would really gain much. Much better to wait for spring.
I was planning to it jn the spring and my schedule got out of control. That why I ask. I am perfectly content with waiting until spring.

Back
Top Bottom