Is Bonsai Mirai Live Worth $300/year?

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
All the time you spend yanking to that virtual BS you could be spending with your trees that actually have the energy to teach you something.
Read with your trees!
Read to your trees!
While you sit with your trees and read the link between your thoughts and the visual with your trees will speak to you.

Yeah, but there arn't a lot of good bonsai videos out there, with reliable good info. What I do is when I'm wiring a tree or working on a tree I have one of these video's playing. I'll watch them again too in case I missed something, but it's valuable resource. I like useing every aspect of bonsai I can.

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Is there a quality improvement between the paid Mirai content and the free stuff that's on YouTube?

Because the free videos that I have tried to watch have been pretty bad, imo. Ryan is skilled, but rambly and distracted. The communication between him and the camera crew is unpolished, so transitions between wide and detail views seem to happen 20 seconds after Ryan does something I want to see. And the questions from the stream never seem to get properly answered.

So, it seems like you'd get your money's worth in as far as sheer hours of content
But I feel like the time spent watching would be a waste.

Example :

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Im sure most info he provides could be found much cheaper or free,if money was a not an option i might buy

I've been practicing bonsai for over 25 years, have a library of books, belonged to bonsai societies and clubs, gone to numerous conventions and attended hands-on workshops, and I can say without reservation that the info he provides cannot be found elsewhere... at any price. The only thing that would be better is if you had a personal apprenticeship with a bonsai teacher who had studied for 6 years in Japan and who is a full-time bonsai instructor - and who you worked with every week.

The only negative comments I am hearing are from people who haven't watched the streams. Note that you don't hear a single person who is a subscriber saying it wasn't worth the money or they aren't planning on re-subscribing.

But as far as I'm concerned, if you aren't interested don't watch. There are people who don't do workshops or go to bonsai conventions either.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Is there a month fee? Like pay one month watch all you can, wait some months and buy another one month?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is material or knowledge more important? Thats up to you.... if you want knowledge this is the second best option beyond quiting your job and becoming a full time bonsai apprentice. I love having the tier 3 sub. Will definietly do it again next year, I have learned so much.

ohiogrown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
I’ve been a tier 3 subscriber for six months. It’s not the only place I get my information from But I think it’s a wonderful thing for people to learn from. The question and answer on Thursdays is a very valuable thing in my opinion.I’ve learned more from that then anywhere else. It’s bonsai growers of all different skill levels asking great questions. One downside to me is a lot of the material he works with are trees most of us will never have. Also must of the stuff is native to that area and not a lot about deciduous trees. But over all I enjoy what Ryan is doing for people to learn about bonsai.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Try and remember that the practice of Bonsai is for -

[1] Inspiration -------------- as in ideas towards an Art form - Painting Sculpture. Poetry ................

[2] Peace of mind ------------ extension of mental and physical health

It is not about winning competitions, trophies and pretending you are an Artist.

Like Tai Chi ------- can be used for battle -------- but it is for health.

The Books have all the information and a visit to a master's nursery will
explain any 3d problems. Take hand written notes ------- think it out.
Check out Mr. Valavanis , Mr. Rosade.........................

Take some art classes.

*****You will waste a lot of money and be unable to regain it.***********

Have watched this when the Ceramics boat came into town.
Good Day
Anthony

* This is a hobby help each other ------------- or direct them to a club.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I’ve been a tier 3 subscriber for six months. It’s not the only place I get my information from But I think it’s a wonderful thing for people to learn from. The question and answer on Thursdays is a very valuable thing in my opinion.I’ve learned more from that then anywhere else. It’s bonsai growers of all different skill levels asking great questions. One downside to me is a lot of the material he works with are trees most of us will never have. Also must of the stuff is native to that area and not a lot about deciduous trees. But over all I enjoy what Ryan is doing for people to learn about bonsai.

I dont agree there. he mixes it up, some of the material is outstanding collected stock and some is field grown or attained from tree nurseries that are open to the public. that blue rug juniper was just a straight broom stick from nursery stock. the Field maple a fat stump field grown for many years, anyone could produce or collect a stump like that. the scots pine i really like, that is also field grown stock, it wasnt collected from some secluded area up in the mountains only he knows about. we can buy outstanding scots pine in europe or folks collect it. the stewartia is from field grown stock, not outstanding by any stretch. i think he's demonstrating what can be done with unassuming material, how to hone your eye, what to look for, things to avoid, how to get the best out pretty standard material or how to enhance and produce great material.

another thing is, you dont get better by always looking at or working with crappy material. you need to look at better trees and someone working with better trees. whats great is he works with all sorts of trees. that surprised me. even the beech trees in that forest can be picked up for peanuts at tree hedging nurseries. his tilia is a nice tree but even something like that is pretty easy to attain.

Last edited:

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Is there a quality improvement between the paid Mirai content and the free stuff that's on YouTube?

Because the free videos that I have tried to watch have been pretty bad, imo. Ryan is skilled, but rambly and distracted. The communication between him and the camera crew is unpolished, so transitions between wide and detail views seem to happen 20 seconds after Ryan does something I want to see. And the questions from the stream never seem to get properly answered.

So, it seems like you'd get your money's worth in as far as sheer hours of content
But I feel like the time spent watching would be a waste.

Example :

i think you should ask yourself and be honest now. that juni with the ram rod straight broom stick trunk! would you have walked straight past it or would you have saw what he saw in it??? lets be honest once he separates that layer, its going to be really something:)

i would of left it in the nursery, so even that vid alone, gave me a little insight.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
i think you should ask yourself and be honest now. that juni with the ram rod straight broom stick trunk! would you have walked straight past it or would you have saw what he saw in it??? lets be honest once he separates that layer, its going to be really something:)

i would of left it in the nursery, so even that vid alone, gave me a little insight.

I have to agree

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Great responses from everyone. Thanks.

I didn't know that there were so many of his subscribers, here. It's great to know that the subscription service is being used by so many. I do have some specific questions for some of you. I'll hit those one by one.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@ohiogrown , @Bonsai Nut , @reddog , @mattspiniken

Tier 3 questions:

"Interact Live with Mirai’s chat function"
How busy is the Mirai chat during the Live events? Do you feel you are getting your questions answered? Or do you feel you are being drowned out?

"Extended-cut workshop lessons: in-depth look into the prep and design of Mirai trees"
Is this just a lot of out-takes? Something like an hour or two of fluff? Or is there real value here?

"Exclusive features breaking down specific tree species and advanced bonsai techniques"
I have no idea what this means. Is this a valuable feature? What is it?

"Impromptu Q&A’s Live: addressing bonsai’s most relevant questions"
How often does this take place? And again, is it so busy that you feel you're being drowned out by a crowd of questions from other participants?

The more I look at Tier 3, and the more I read your positive reviews of Tier 3, the more it appeals to me.
I'm a chatty person. Any time I'm asked for ideas and questions, I'm not shy. The interactive features are very attractive to someone like me. Even if my questions aren't answered, I'd like to feel that they've at least been heard.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Try and remember that the practice of Bonsai is for -

[1] Inspiration -------------- as in ideas towards an Art form - Painting Sculpture. Poetry ................

[2] Peace of mind ------------ extension of mental and physical health

It is not about winning competitions, trophies and pretending you are an Artist.

Like Tai Chi ------- can be used for battle -------- but it is for health.

The Books have all the information and a visit to a master's nursery will
explain any 3d problems. Take hand written notes ------- think it out.
Check out Mr. Valavanis , Mr. Rosade.........................

Take some art classes.
Remember not everyone sees the world through your eyes. Everyone is different. For me I get enjoyment by trying to get better at things. I'm not saying others should it's just something I enjoy.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Matt,

I am just placing information for the young ones who will follow.
The Pros and the Cons.

There is a reason why Wu Yee Sun says ---------- Education first, Bonsai later.

The idea is to get the reader to think.
Good Day
Anthony

* To much Kumbah Yah is good for nothing.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
...Was watching the dead wood on the juniper last night....im working on a yew atm and many of the same deadwood techniques can be applied.

Is this the "Hardening Deadwood" video?

I did a YouTube video back in May where I did an extensive amount of carving. Lime sulfur just doesn't do enough to protect that much wood. Thanks to @BonsaiMobius for their post in April, here on Bonsai Nut, I got Smith's CPES. I'm ready to use it, but I don't know precisely how. I only have a general idea.

How extensive is the Bonsai Mirai video? The description of it states:
"Watch Troy walk us through the process of hardening deadwood with Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer™ (CPES), a technique he brought to Mirai through his expertise in boat restoration. Through this application you can prevent and preserve rotting deadwood from further decay."
Is the video informative enough to count as a complete lesson in how to use CPES on bonsai?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Note that you don't hear a single person who is a subscriber saying it wasn't worth the money or they aren't planning on re-subscribing.

The Interactive package is a hell of a good deal. No traveling, no additional expense, and it is a damn good value for the money if you consider what sessions cost per sitting. If you disagree or have a question - no problem, as if you were there.

Grimmy

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The Interactive package is a hell of a good deal. No traveling, no additional expense, and it is a damn good value for the money if you consider what sessions cost per sitting. If you disagree or have a question - no problem, as if you were there.

Our local club has a real schmoozer when it comes to getting people to come here. He managed to snag Ryan last September. Apparently, Ryan isn't touring any longer. Even if that isn't quite 100% true, it still means limited access. It's a real shame, because the few times I've met him, I've found him very approachable and an absolute encyclopedia of information.

Thus, my toying with the Tier 3 subscription. If he is as approachable on-line as he is in person, it is probably worth the expense.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
there's a month to month subscription so in theory you could do this with tier 2
I would go tier 2 once every other 6 months or so. Watch 10 videos or more... and unsubscribe.

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, definitely worth every penny. You can't even compare what you learn through his videos vs free youtube videos. I agree with someone who said it above, you really just can't hear this information anywhere else.

I'm a tier 2 member, and really am considering tier 3, so I can watch a lot of the extra videos you get with that.

Top Bottom