Interesting olive?

ferrangel

Seedling
Reaction score
hi there, in May i bought this Olive.

I saw potential in it, since almost all the trees here from nurseries are pretty young. if you look for something to make a bonsai, they always try to sell you small junipers, and i am no fan of junipers. So i risk it and i found this Olive.

You will see some photos which were not intended to be part of the thread, but i share them with another bonsai enthusiast which is my friend here in mexico. So, sorry if they are not so cool.

Last edited:

ferrangel

Seedling
Reaction score
this is when i first bought it and that i arrived at my appartment.

Attachments

• image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    270.8 KB · Views: 46

ferrangel

Seedling
Reaction score
i showed my friend that i had that branch growing pretty strong and which was new that i didnt like it. since i bought a bonsai kit... i couldn't wait to use it... and those poor branches were my fisrt ones to prune.

Attachments

• image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    202.8 KB · Views: 43
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    241.7 KB · Views: 42

ferrangel

Seedling
Reaction score
here is the cut i made and i apply some sealant.

Attachments

• image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    230.7 KB · Views: 44

ferrangel

Seedling
Reaction score
after almost two months, i am ready to change it to a pot. it took time for me to get them but i am waiting for it to arrive from Puebla. in mexico there are not so many supplies.

Attachments

• image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    236.9 KB · Views: 43
  • image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 40
  • image5.JPG
    image5.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 39

ferrangel

Seedling
Reaction score
i will be repotting the olive maybe next week. i wonder if you could give me advise on how to model it?
fer

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I see no one has responded to you yet. If this were mine, (looking at your last picture) I would take off the major branch (trunk) on the right, leaving a stub to perhaps carve later. That leaves a trunk line on the left with much better taper. I would cut the left trunk down to the first branch, leaving some green just to remind the tree it still needs to grow. You will probably get dozens of new starts popping out of the trunk after that, allowing you to select the ones you want for branch placement.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My simple suggestion would be to just get it healthy.

The olives here will re-sprout all over by themselves, so you can just grow for a large trunk
and a little later go for branches.

As usual take cuttings, say 10 and experiment on them not the mother.
Best of growing.
Anthony

ferrangel

Seedling
Reaction score
thank to you both Bryan and Anthony.

i want to repot it. i had the same thaught as anthony to get it healthy and change it. after i trimmed it i thought to see how did it respond to its new home and my watering habits. i see the olive sprouting back and healthy so i may repot it and then se what to shape it.

thanks to you both for your opinions i will be happy to share about my olive.

fer
:p

Top Bottom