Interesting idea I had for a planter, fair warning I’m a little crazy so may be a terrible idea

I love this piece of wood, and think a forest is perfect for it. And I love the idea of a bonsai cypress dome. But I'm not sure the wood and the dome go together.

Cypress domes are usually surrounded by a very flat landscape, and it is is the contrast between that flatness and the dome shape that gives aesthetic interest. This would call for a very shallow pot or a slab. Your wood suggests a landscape of undulating hills, with a lot of negative space on the right side--not exactly cypress dome territory.

Whatever you decide to do, I'm eager to see it!
I came back to this after some thought and you’re right about dome not being entirely accurate. Dimes are usually a circular type shape with a massive tree and it’s next generation around it, then the next, the next and so forth. They aren’t always in the open though. One of the cypress heads I’m going to hike in the next week looking to collect is totally surrounded by oak hammocks and pines a little higher up from the water. But you can see the dome over the rest of the trees where they’ve created their own enclave. That’s pretty common in SWFL but I know the glades they tend to be isolated islands and that’s what a lot of people picture when they think cypress dome. They will almost always form that shape unless an entire forest of them are approx. the same age. If the tree had a chance to get a head it will almost always form that kind of canopy and circle because in wet areas where they thrive they usually are only challenged by water hickory (common name) and swamp maple (common name). Most other trees in these swampy boggy areas either stay stunted or fall over. I find young cypress on the edges and that’s where I’m going to scout for spring collecting. 🤞🏻That is purely in my region though. Things are different all over FL, we have 7 USDA zones so a huge variety of collecting areas and plants to collect!

I may have to reorder them next year before cuts. Because having an arced silhouette does evoke dome and the planting is linear. Not exclusive but more to ponder till next year! Estimated cuts are marked with blue ribbons. Subject to change of course but I put those in to help me determine my rough order before planting.

Another long term 20+ year idea I had was a water garden with bonsai scattered in it either on the ground, root over rock, or on stands or all three. My thought was with enough rock glued together, I could make a water feature that flowed through a planting. And for cypress or swamp maples which I’m already starting to tag that moisture would be a huge bonus.

For years I had a group of bald cypress in my goldfish pond. They started as seedlings that had come up in a friend's stream. At first they grew in a tub that was barely submerged. When the root systems had grow together enough, I took them out of the tub and set the root mass on top of a perforated plastic milk crate at the same depth. They grew so well that my biggest problem was keeping them under control--it's really hard to do regular maintenance pruning on a bonsai in the middle of a pond.

Eventually I took them out and put them back in a tub, planning to redesign the forest. But I killed all but one tree with a stupid mistake, over-fertilization. The survivor is in a conventional pot now. The largest and most impressive tree is dead stump on my bench as a warning, and eventually as a tanuki.

For years I had a group of bald cypress in my goldfish pond. They started as seedlings that had come up in a friend's stream. At first they grew in a tub that was barely submerged. When the root systems had grow together enough, I took them out of the tub and set the root mass on top of a perforated plastic milk crate at the same depth. They grew so well that my biggest problem was keeping them under control--it's really hard to do regular maintenance pruning on a bonsai in the middle of a pond.

Eventually I took them out and put them back in a tub, planning to redesign the forest. But I killed all but one tree with a stupid mistake, over-fertilization. The survivor is in a conventional pot now. The largest and most impressive tree is dead stump on my bench as a warning, and eventually as a tanuki.
A good lesson! Thank you for the warning! I will make sure my bog area is easy to walk in then before I even consider putting any bonsai in it for sure then! Maybe I’ll add a small board walk over it... hmmm

A good lesson! Thank you for the warning! I will make sure my bog area is easy to walk in then before I even consider putting any bonsai in it for sure then! Maybe I’ll add a small board walk over it... hmmm
@Trenthany I really love your idea of using the wood as a bonsai container. Hope it lasts and doesn't rot. I also love your enthusiasm and it is infectious!

@Trenthany I really love your idea of using the wood as a bonsai container. Hope it lasts and doesn't rot. I also love your enthusiasm and it is infectious!
Thank you! It came out pretty nice! Today is busy but as soon as I get a bit I’ll take pictures.

I love the idea of this containing a forest. When i see vessels like this it makes me what to use a vacuum form machine to make a liner for it. A clear low profile liner would allow more flexible working environment and protection of the deadwood and still allow for stunning display.

Back
Top Bottom