Interesting ERC yanked from the forest

ETN_bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello all.
I’m very new to bonsái; maybe two months. I found this ERC growing in the woods at my remodel project house. It’s been the subject of selective pruning by last years deer trying to remove the velvet from their antlers. I was concerned it wouldn’t survive another year of their affections, so my wife and I pulled it last weekend.

1E9662E2-B59B-49A3-993E-7002A100D4BB.jpeg
I grabbed a decently sized rootball to increase the odds of survival.
266548A7-84A1-4D8F-87FF-60FFABE01EAE.jpeg

Once I got the tree (still in the wheelbarrow in my truck bed) back home, I plopped it in a plastic water heater tray I picked up on a job. The tray is 22” ID and about 3” deep, and yes I drilled drain holes.
image.jpg

My plan is to let the tree grow in its native soil until possibly spring ‘26 and then move it to a more appropriate container. If it’s still healthy, I think I’ll move it out to the all day section of my current bonsai driveway in a week or two once it has been ‘potted’ for two to three weeks.

What are some options for styling the tree? The foliage is already starting to mature. I feel like it will be completely converted by the time it’s ready for it’s next potting. I’d like to get a formal upright with a severely storm bearing appearance.

I’d let this one grow on before looking for styling options…. But you should know it’s unlikely to grow well in its native soil in that container. If you really want to work this one, I’d put it in the ground for now and do some research on how to properly/ successfully collect junipers. Good luck

I found this ERC growing in the woods at my remodel project house.

What are some options for styling the tree?
I think this species is highly under-rated for bonsai. Given that you have only a single branch to work with, you have to consider how you will style an entire tree from that branch. You can't bring the branch up, because then you would be left with a boring tree with a ramrod straight lower trunk. I might consider something untraditional - bringing the branch down and crossing it in front of the trunk.

cedar.jpg

Last edited:
I’d let this one grow on before looking for styling options…. But you should know it’s unlikely to grow well in its native soil in that container. If you really want to work this one, I’d put it in the ground for now and do some research on how to properly/ successfully collect junipers. Good luck
I collected a few of the same species of trees back in the beginning of July. One I did a hard prune, wiring, and repot on the same day I collected it. One I wired, did some light pruning, and planted in the side-yard garden plot next to the woods. Two others I stuck in the garden with no real pruning or wiring (this is at house B). All four are growing merrily at the moment, but they’re more practice trees.
Since it’s somewhat late in the year, I didn’t feel comfortable doing a repot at this time on the tree pictures. I could have field planted it at house B with the other two, but I’d prefer to keep this tree at hand so I can keep up with watering and fertilizing. I suppose a field planting where I live now would be an option, but I don’t won’t to add another thing to deal with when we move next year.
Would you consider doing a repot this year using a more appropriate pot and more invasive root pruning? I didn’t want to disturb the roots anymore at this point since there isn’t really any foliage to remove to balance the tree. When you suggested a field planting, did you mean in prepared soil or a hole in the yard?

I think this species is highly under-rated for bonsai. Given that you have only a single branch to work with, you have to consider how you will style an entire tree from that branch. You can't bring the branch up, because then you would be left with a boring tree with a ramrod straight lower trunk. I might consider something untraditional - bringing the branch down and crossing it in front of the trunk.

View attachment 566338

The tree actually has three or four branches, but they’re all on the side that wasn’t assaulted by our friend Bambi. The other two or three limbs are growing from the back of the back of the tree if you consider the shari as the front. I think I can use one as an eventual apex since it’s growing upward naturally. I’ll get a few more pictures later this evening.

Last edited:
I collected a few of the same species of trees back in the beginning of July. One I did a hard prune, wiring, and repot on the same day I collected it. One I wired, did some light pruning, and planted in the side-yard garden plot next to the woods. Two others I stuck in the garden with no real pruning or wiring (this is at house B). All four are growing merrily at the moment, but they’re more practice trees.
Since it’s somewhat late in the year, I didn’t feel comfortable doing a repot at this time on the tree pictures. I could have field planted it at house B with the other two, but I’d prefer to keep this tree at hand so I can keep up with watering and fertilizing. I suppose a field planting where I live now would be an option, but I don’t won’t to add another thing to deal with when we move next year.
Would you consider doing a repot this year using a more appropriate pot and more invasive root pruning? I didn’t want to disturb the roots anymore at this point since there isn’t really any foliage to remove to balance the tree. When you suggested a field planting, did you mean in prepared soil or a hole in the yard?

The tree actually has three or four branches, but they’re all on the side that wasn’t assaulted by our friend Bambi. The other two or three limbs are growing from the back of the back of the tree if you consider the shari as the front. I think I can use one as an eventual apex since it’s growing upward naturally. I’ll get a few more pictures later this evening.
Imo, it's too late in the year to do a meaningful re-pot. I'd heel this one in somewhere and consider a better time for repotting (next spring).

Imo, it's too late in the year to do a meaningful re-pot. I'd heel this one in somewhere and consider a better time for repotting (next spring).
I agree. What do you mean by heel it in?
I’d likely field plant it with my other projects, but it’s a dry time of the year & I won’t have time for regular watering there.

I agree. What do you mean by heel it in?
I’d likely field plant it with my other projects, but it’s a dry time of the year & I won’t have time for regular watering there.
Place the root ball on the ground and cover it with mulch or soil. I’d do this only if you’re going to pot it next spring

Place the root ball on the ground and cover it with mulch or soil. I’d do this only if you’re going to pot it next spring
Makes sense. I’ve got a good spot for it next to my fruit trees in the back yard. Should get 6-8 hours of daylight and be shaded in the evenings. Thanks again.

On a hopefully possible note, this evening I noticed more new growth since I pulled it last weekend.

Here are the pictures of the other foliage on the tree. I thought there were 3-4 besides the main/obvios branch, but there are only two others for a total of three branches on the whole tree. Not many options, but I think the second largest branch with its upward growth tendency will eventually make an apex possible.4C2A3B7B-8C0A-4C68-9015-0E17A2D2EE6D.jpeg
DB758BD6-D4E1-403F-81CE-490718589148.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom