Indoor or Outdoor

Ange1seyes

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hello everyone! I wanted to take a minute and introduce myself. My name is Rhonda and on Monday I received this lovely Powder Puff bonsai.

It is roughly 14-16 inches tall. I keep reading conflicting reports on whether to keep it indoors or outdoors. Inside, as you can see it sits less than a foot from a south facing door. This is where it will be during the winter months.

Since receiving it on Monday, i have been taking it outside during the day for full sun exposure but I’m not sure if that is what i should be doing. Any insight would be appreciated . It seems there are some very knowledgeable people here and I look forward to learning from you.IMG_2180.jpeg

Hi there and welcome! I am currently not able to view your picture, which I think is due to website maintenance today.

In order to give you the best possible advice it would be helpful to know where in the world you are. You can look up your USDA climate zone and add it to your account details, so that we can always see what climate you’re in.

Welcome!

The first mistake I made (as with many here) was being lured into the whole 'indoor/outdoor' bonsai gimmick -- effectively killing my first few bonsai.

They are trees and trees need outdoor sunlight. Even next to a window, the tree is inhibited from utilizing the sun's light in the way that it needs in the long run. Without supplemental/artificial lighting, most bonsai will die being kept indoors all year. Though it's possible to achieve -- even for a few years -- without issue. Done properly, you'd need to invest into indoor equipment. For just the one tree though, I'm not sure it would be worth it. But that's probably an entirely different subject matter, because if you have the ability to keep it outdoors during the 'growing season', you should.

The calliandra emarginata is a tropical and will thrive in direct, outdoor sunlight. It will grow inside, yet not thrive. It should be kept outside from, at least where I'm at, mid-spring to mid-fall. You don't want to keep it outside in temperatures that drop into the 40's. I find that I'm perpetually moving my tropical trees in and out during spring/fall along with the temperatures fluctuating. Once it's over 55-60 steadily, no need for the back and forth, just find a nice spot for it to call home for the remainder of the growing season.

When it comes to the colder months, dropping below 50-45 °F, it won't require a dormancy period like deciduous trees, and can then be brought into your home and placed in a sunny window (south-facing for me -- north-facing in Australia. Updating your location will be helpful so others can give you more accurate advice for you and your trees). Keep the tree away from any radiators or vents, and even a healthy distance away from the cold chill of window in the winter. Though, I've heard this is a hearty tree and can survive some cold to a degree for a tropical. I'd do your homework.

Other than that, don't overwater or underwater (know your substrates too!) ... Do let it grow -- in fact, do your research on any tree before pruning (cutting back). Many trees have specific care needs. It appears you should research where to find and identify the tree's nodes, where and how to cut (cut paste to seal after?), etc. You should have ample time to research everything about your tree before you need to do anything other than watering.

Good luck!

You must give your geographic location to get the best advice. If you're in a area that gets a winter that has below freezing temps, care for your calliandra (powder puff) tree will be different than if you're in a tropical region.

There are no "indoor" bonsai. There are no species of tree that evolved to grow in the hostile conditions inside houses. There are species of plants that can tolerate such conditions, but they rarely thrive indoors. Those species that can tolerate indoor conditions are tropical species, ficus and schefflera are the indoor hardiest. Calliandra is not as easy as those to keep indoors. FWIW, "indoor" bonsai is most successful in the hands of VERY experienced bonsai folks. Beginners largely lose their first three or four trees trying to get them to live on top of the TV, kitchen counters and bedrooms.

The primary reasons "indoor" bonsai face an uphill battle inside:

Too dark --sunlight even at a sunny windowsill is 100 times less intense than direct outdoor sun),

low humidity-- the humidity level inside modern houses with AC and central heat is lower than a desert.

Low air circulation--you cannot produce wind inside without considerable difficulty and/or damage. No an electric fan is not the same. Air circulation is important to keep some insects and fungal diseases at bay.

If you are in a temperate region (U.K. North America, etc) you should put the tree outside in a location that gets at least four hours of direct morning sun and some open shade in the afternoon. You will have to monitor its watering needs (watering on your schedule will likely kill the plant). Water it when it needs it. That can vary day to day, even hour to hour some days.

When Autumn rolls around and nighttime temperatures drop into the high 50's, bring the plan inside to a bright location. Let it alone, meet its watering needs (which won't be as great) for the fall and winter. Bring the tree back outside in the spring when nighttime temps are above 50. Inside the tree will likely limp along, given that it has limited resources and is under stress. It will likely drop leaves and sulk (unless you invest in high-output grow lights and a purpose bought humidifier and a closed off room devoted to the tree's conditions.

Hi there and welcome! I am currently not able to view your picture, which I think is due to website maintenance today.

In order to give you the best possible advice it would be helpful to know where in the world you are. You can look up your USDA climate zone and add it to your account details, so that we can always see what climate you’re in.
I apologize. I am in Indianapolis, IN. They just raised us up a zone since we haven’t been getting as cold of winters the last couple of years. I will be sure to add to my profile. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom