I'll not grow bonsai anymore.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Now I feel I’m getting back to it and I feel back to knowing nothing.

I am not really quitting; In fact, I'm nuts about bonsai!
But... Sometimes it's frustrating when some well cared for trees die and one has no clue as to why it did happen...
While the masters here chop, saw, defoliate, bareroot and their trees ROCK!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
But... Sometimes it's frustrating when some well cared for trees die and one has no clue as to why it did happen...
It’s usually because Masters know to get their trees really healthy before they start to apply bonsai technique.

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It's sorcery.
Black magic, witchcraft, wizardry, enchantment, spells, incantation, witching, witchery, thaumaturgy

The Earth is flat, space is a lie, and the sun is simply a disk circling over head. Once you understand this and apply this knowledge in bonsai you will begin seeing good results.

Bonsai Master secrets exposed!

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been learning about bonsai for almost 2 years...I am just now getting some stuff on my bench that may eventually...possibly...if the stars align...actually have some hope to be bonsai. It just takes time. My biggest hurdle right now is being tentative in working my trees.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have been learning about bonsai for almost 2 years...I am just now getting some stuff on my bench that may eventually...possibly...if the stars align...actually have some hope to be bonsai. It just takes time. My biggest hurdle right now is being tentative in working my trees.
There’s two things to learn about each “technique” in bonsai. 1) what to do; 2) when to do it.

If you do the right thing, but at the wrong time, that can be bad. If you do the wrong thing, but at a good time, sometimes the plant will forgive you.

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
There’s two things to learn about each “technique” in bonsai. 1) what to do; 2) when to do it.

If you do the right thing, but at the wrong time, that can be bad. If you do the wrong thing, but at a good time, sometimes the plant will forgive you.
What if you do the wrong thing at the wrong time? :p

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I actually didn't enjoy the first 4 years of it. Tons of cash spent and hundreds of beginner mistakes. I think year five will be fun though, finally have a direction and a few trees worth remembering to water

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I actually didn't enjoy the first 4 years of it. Tons of cash spent and hundreds of beginner mistakes. I think year five will be fun though, finally have a direction and a few trees worth remembering to water
The way to avoid that is to find a mentor. Someone who is will omg to teach, and makes bonsai you like, and is better at it than you. Trying to go it alone is very frustrating. I’m not saying it can’t be done, it’s just frustrating, takes longer, and actually, doing bonsai with others is fun! And it’s nice to have a helping hand sometimes.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The way to avoid that is to find a mentor. Someone who is will omg to teach, and makes bonsai you like, and is better at it than you. Trying to go it alone is very frustrating. I’m not saying it can’t be done, it’s just frustrating, takes longer, and actually, doing bonsai with others is fun! And it’s nice to have a helping hand sometimes.
I slogged along for years up here teaching myself bonsai. I lost my first collection after 6 years and gave up on it totally.
20 years later I got a smart phone and googled bonsai. That's when I found this place,it's members and all of the resources that came with it. I met and made friends with Vance. He also is a self taught bonsai person. I only just went to my first show 4 years ago. Never saw a real bonsai in person before. Just my own. I was doing some things right but some things I was doing wrong.
You can say Vance is my mentor. Although I only get to see him once a year,those hours I do spend with him are gold. Bonsai oozes out of him and just watching him is a treat.
Bonsai is much more fun when you have friends to do it with.
You learn faster and have the support if you screw up.
And being a member here puts you in the world's largest bonsai club.

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A

I hear ya Clicio.
I'm not certain what your age is, but I'm will be 59 on 2/20/18, and after being away from Bonsai for a very long time, I decided to re-enter the hobby.
Reason being is I'm planning for retirement within the next couple of years or so, so I want to have all of my hobbies fully tooled and in full-swing (Bonasi, Cars, Heck I even started to learn how to play the Banjo, which I've always wanted to learn! LOL...).

Anyway, as I peruse BonsaiNut as well as a few other highly informative Bonsai places, I keep getting even MORE enthused and involved.
The people here are fantastic and they are always willing to assist, no matter what stage of the hobby you are at.
Sure, it can be overwhelming at times, but hey, it's STILL a blast to learn different methods/approaches/ideas and create living beauty.

I know this will sound cliché, but do keep your chin up & stay focused.
I hope you're enjoying the Bonsai ride, as much as I am!
Ben

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I'm not certain what your age is, but I'm will be 59 on 2/20/18

I'm 63, @BigBen, and listening!

The people here are fantastic and they are always willing to assist, no matter what stage of the hobby you are at

That's what I found, love this forum!
Thanks for your words, Ben, I appreciate that!

DirkvanDreven

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I started bonsai almost 35 years ago.I had two books on bonsai, translated japanese books, that only dealt with maintaining 'ready' bonsai, and not about growing and developing bonsai. So I killed lots of Maple seedlings pinching new leafs, and scots pine seedlings decandling. Only since 2010 I kind of started over, with much more reading, internet, and joining a bonsai club and taking lessons. Wish I did this thirty years sooner.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My beginnings and bonsai started about five or six years ago. I went to the local conservatory and saw the ones they had there, and I got hooked. Of course I didn’t feel the need to do any research, find a club or anything like that. So for about four years I probably killed several hundred dollars worth of clearance rack nursery stock. Then I found a couple of website and forums, did my best to reboot what I thought I knew and start over. The very first thing I learned was to get better stock and learn how to keep it alive. I found a local club started going to some meetings. And then on this website I found out that JudyB and I are practically neighbors. I was fortunate enough to be invited down to see her collection. So over the last year I’ve attended workshops with Sergio, Owen Reich and Jim Doyle. In that short time I’ve learned an incredible amount, still quite a novice but armed with a little more knowledge, and some excellent resources. I’ve also gotten away from the big box store trees and invest in a little more money into some better stock. Still a long way to go, but a much better path this time.

Top Bottom