Ilex Progression For Mellow Mullet

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Mellow Mullet I didn't want to hijack your thread (https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/a-score-maybe.26819/#post-437459) so I started this one in the hopes of showing what can be done with your Ilex. However, I'm sure you already know so maybe others may benefit. I collected this one from my front yard four years ago. The images show the work I've done through the Spring of 2016. I do not have any photos of the tree for this year yet but I will post them when I do. Enjoy.

MM1.jpg

MM2.jpg

After I got it potted you could really see the desirable Elephant Skin Bark (like yours has):

MM3.jpg

I just left a few leaves on each branch for the most part:

MM4.jpg

Later in the year (2013):

MM5.jpg

MM6.jpg

I left it grow in the same container until 2016 pruning it often and wiring various branches as needed:

MM7.jpg

Then, it was time for a smaller training pot:

MM8.jpg

MM9.jpg

That's all folks.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's all folks

You don't really believe that do you?

Nice Vin....
Why you keep holdin out on us?

Anyway....

If this were mine...

I would be playing a "one of these things is not like the other" game...

With a saw in my hand and a crazy look in my eye.

Sorce

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
LOL! I'm really not holding out. I only have weekends to do anything at home. Between yard work, working on my trees and on my Ranchero I just don't have a lot of time to take pictures and post stuff. Once the Spring work is done I'll try and post more. I really need to get rid some trees (where have I heard that before?).

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Wow, Vin, a post just for me! lol. Thanks for the info, I have not worked on yupon before so this is helpful. Your tree is very healthy, I hope mine survives the ordeal. Did you get much die back initially? I am concerned about one side on each of the ones I got, they were yanked out with a truck so the roots are a little sparse on one side.

Thanks!

John

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow, Vin, a post just for me! lol. Thanks for the info, I have not worked on yupon before so this is helpful. Your tree is very healthy, I hope mine survives the ordeal. Did you get much die back initially? I am concerned about one side on each of the ones I got, they were yanked out with a truck so the roots are a little sparse on one side.

Thanks!

John
No dieback at all or ever. They are quite tough but hard to wire if the branches get any size to them. Careful with the small branches as well, they snap very easily.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Lol no I don't believe so. Pretty sweet! I barely recollect the one my dad had. I was very small. My dad would come pick up my brothers. But my mom didn't feel he could handle a girl they were divorced. But I remember he had this tiny alligator that I now realize was fake on his dash. He swore it was his pet he brought back from Florida...but watch your fingers! I remember I was so glad I didn't have to ride in that car.

Top Bottom