If this year's flu virus...

Solaris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
While cooked garlic is good, for its benefits to be most effective you want it uncooked, raw, crushed and organic. Allicin is the compound you are after in garlic

It works in vitro. It doesn't work in vivo, due in no small part to the difficulties in getting complex organic molecules through the human digestive system functionally intact. The same sort of 'research' suggests that drinking bleach would be an excellent cure for most any bacterial infection. The research into garlic tends to be small, weak, and generally of preliminary-at-best quality; no responsible physician would recommend it for an antiviral treatment.

I’ll preface this by saying I am not an anti-vaxxer, but the flu vaccine this year was terribly ineffective.

More effective than eating garlic.

A good rule of thumb on how effective a remedy is, is to look at who's promoting it. If it's the woo-woos, quacks, con artists and salesmen wholesome alt-med practitioners, you're probably better off skipping it. At best, it's a waste of money.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ha ha to both of you.
Trinidad is also known as -- little America.

Aside
Many Trinidadians live in New York, Washingon DC, Texas and quite a few of the other states.
As well as Canada/
I don't believe too many liked the UK ---- perhaps to disciplined.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way Trinidadians are made up of similar stock to Americans [ Note - America is the
word for North, Central and South America ] ----------folk looking for a better life.

The backbone of folk--- willing to stand and make a better life -----has only just started.
See you in 100 hundred years.
Good Day
Anthony

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In day to day life you meet many ill folk, who at times may not even realise
that they are ill, due to depression, sadness or other.
Apart from obvious sneezers, your immune system is working to protect.

Garlic and onion are supposed to be good suppliers of sulphur, and are supposed
to be good fr making the body's antibiotics.
Fruit is vitamin C and other.
Our fruit has not been interfered with genetically [ apple for example - crab apple
to what you purchase today ] so Guavas, small and yellow, West Indian cherry,
Jamoon, Pomerac, Lay lay and so on are what we eat.

Not so much apples,pears and citrus. Though Manadarins, King Orange and Portugals
are very tasty.
Also leave white rice behind for casssava and ground provisions.
White flour, we add back in home milled fibre. The bread is heavier and not as elastic
but the satisfying effect is there , so you eat fewer slices of bread and great bowel
movements.

Long time home growers [ organic - no pesticides - even the garlic spray stuff ]
of vegetables. Compost is king.

Money is no good without Health -------- as Design is useless without Health for
Bonsai.
Good Day
Anthony

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A good rule of thumb on how effective a remedy is, is to look at who's promoting it. If it's the woo-woos, quacks, con artists and salesmen wholesome alt-med practitioners, you're probably better off skipping it. At best, it's a waste of money.

LOL. Sorry, I strongly disagree with this statement based off my personal experiences.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Last winter was almost constant viruses for us, as soon as one person got over it the next would pick up another one and that would do the rounds. It was awful. This year none of us have been laid out and it's solely down to the change of school for the kids as it is not a germ factory.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have bourbon weekly and PBR daily. NO FLU! Better living through chemistry...

I also eat a lot of garlic and onions....

I have been trying different inexpensive bourbons. Last nights pour. Woodford reserve is my fav so far. Whatcha drinking?

Attachments

• 38AFFF48-7ECF-4269-942F-CF7A14C50B7D.jpeg
    38AFFF48-7ECF-4269-942F-CF7A14C50B7D.jpeg
    275.4 KB · Views: 1

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I have been trying different inexpensive bourbons. Last nights pour. Woodford reserve is my fav so far. Whatcha drinking?
You want an easy sippin' and not too expensive bourbon, give Buffalo Trace a try. Woodford Reserve is definitely a keeper for the price

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You want an easy sippin' and not too expensive bourbon, give Buffalo Trace a try. Woodford Reserve is definitely a keeper for the price

Buffalo trace was the first one I tried that got me started down this path. Good stuff for sure.

Solaris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
LOL. Sorry, I strongly disagree with this statement based off my personal experiences.
The three most dangerous words in medicine are "In my experience..."
Humans are really, really good at tricking ourselves into believing something works, even when we don't have people with a vested interest trying to sell us something. Just look at homeopathy - for it to work, just about every science, everything we know, would have to be vastly wrong. Even so, it has its adherents because those people took a homeopathic remedy when afflicted with a self-limiting ailment, got better, and ascribed their recovery to that treatment simply because that's how the human mind works.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The three most dangerous words in medicine are "In my experience..."
Humans are really, really good at tricking ourselves into believing something works, even when we don't have people with a vested interest trying to sell us something. Just look at homeopathy - for it to work, just about every science, everything we know, would have to be vastly wrong. Even so, it has its adherents because those people took a homeopathic remedy when afflicted with a self-limiting ailment, got better, and ascribed their recovery to that treatment simply because that's how the human mind works.

So let me guess you are either a doctor or medical student?
And spare me the speech. I’m not disputing science. I just know that medical doctors are better at writing scripts and scheduling follow ups than they are at actually healing.

Solaris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So let me guess you are either a doctor or medical student?
And spare me the speech. I’m not disputing science. I just know that medical doctors are better at writing scripts and scheduling follow ups than they are at actually healing.
Student.
Cute ad hominems aside, if you're proposing garlic as a treatment for anything other than cholesterol (and its anticoagulant properties make it dangerous for its low efficacy), you are disputing science. Worse, you're proposing an unproven treatment over proven interventions for a potentially life-threatening illness. Having had a bad experience with a doctor does not magically make the other ideas valid.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
First time in a few years I got the flu vaccine, and go figure, I got the flu between Christmas and New Year, and just finally recovered. It was 100 day Plague. My problem may have started with the flu, but it was the secondary bronchitis and pneumonia that damn near killed me. Oh well. I'll keep getting vaccinated. It is supposed to help.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Student.
Cute ad hominems aside, if you're proposing garlic as a treatment for anything other than cholesterol (and its anticoagulant properties make it dangerous for its low efficacy), you are disputing science. Worse, you're proposing an unproven treatment over proven interventions for a potentially life-threatening illness. Having had a bad experience with a doctor does not magically make the other ideas valid.

Nowhere did I propose it as treatment, back to the lecture hall for reading 101. I stated I’ve been taking it and I’ve had a good cold/flu season thus far and believe it has antiviral and immune boosting properties. I also stated this years vaccine was horribly ineffective, which is accurate. I even stated I am not anti vaxx.

My wife is a medical professional, actually treating patients in a hospital. My entire family has been to more doctors over the last decade than I’d care to remember, had tests, treatments and surgeries. I know more doctors than I’d care to know. My job has me reviewing medical reports and speaking with doctors regularly. I’ve actually lived through and experienced many things within the medical field, you are a kid reciting textbooks.

Reaction score
While cooked garlic is good, for its benefits to be most effective you want it uncooked, raw, crushed and organic. Allicin is the compound you are after in garlic

I’ll preface this by saying I am not an anti-vaxxer, but the flu vaccine this year was terribly ineffective.

There are tetravalent and trivalent vaccinations. With trivalent it is 60 procent sure it's the right one. With the other 80 procent ( give or take). Often the cheapest version is used for most people. If 80 procent of the population gets the right vaccination the spread will stop. So if you're in the right population you got lucky. Vaccination is not a golden bullet, but if they guess right it saves lives.

Solaris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nowhere did I propose it as treatment, back to the lecture hall for reading 101. I stated I’ve been taking it and I’ve had a good cold/flu season thus far and believe it has antiviral and immune boosting properties. I also stated this years vaccine was horribly ineffective, which is accurate. I even stated I am not anti vaxx.

My wife is a medical professional, actually treating patients in a hospital. My entire family has been to more doctors over the last decade than I’d care to remember, had tests, treatments and surgeries. I know more doctors than I’d care to know. My job has me reviewing medical reports and speaking with doctors regularly. I’ve actually lived through and experienced many things within the medical field, you are a kid reciting textbooks.
> Not proposing it as a treatment
> Stating you believe it is medically effective
Pick one.

But hey, good job demonstrating why "In my experience" is so dangerous. You're right - I am a "kid reciting textbooks." Unfortunately, I also come from a family of doctors (as well as lawyers, engineers, and servicecritters - but I'm not pretending that gives me a particular expertise in any given field) and worked quite closely with them during my military career. I was the battlefield equivalent of an EMT. Spent the better part of a decade researching this stuff. You? You're a clerk who plays with the paperwork and hangs out with the smart kids. If we're going to pretend that the person rather than the facts matter in these discussions, I'm winning.
But the person does not matter, only the evidence. The evidence states that your belief is, charitably, unproven. While it has not been evaluated as thoroughly as, say, the mythical link between autism and vaccination, there has been no quality research to find evidence for garlic's purported antiviral and "immune-boosting" properties at a clinically significant level.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lol, bye Solaris. Good luck with your studies.

Top Bottom