I think I’m Bonsaing wrong, but it feels so “right”

Trigobontree

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Hello everyone!
I know that one of the biggest beginner mistakes is over styling trees. So I haven’t styled too much yet, but from what I have done, I don’t think I’m doing it the “correct” way. But I’m ok with that. I’m trying to follow the rules, but for the most part I’m just trimming and bending where I think it looks good. Like my Brush Cherry which was in a broom style when I got it but I’ve been slowly transforming into a…I don’t even know. But I thought it was boring the way it was and you couldn’t see any branches. So I started playing and I found this spiral kind of pattern that I’ve been going with. Now the Premna I will preface by saying it was wild when I got it and I liked that, but the wild didn’t feel purposeful to me. So I did my first wiring attempt last night (yes, I know it’s atrocious) to bring out the wildness even more, but in a more pleasing and interesting way, at least to me. Curious to see what others thoughts are or if anyone has any suggestions. I have lots of other plants too, but these were just the 2 I’ve styled the most so far.

A little backstory: I’m fairly new to Bonsai. I wanted a hobby and although I normally kill any plant I touch, I decided I was going to try Bonsai. Turns out that I really really love it. So much so that I purchased a little 6x4 greenhouse that will be arriving in the next few days. I did and am still doing a lot of research, this site popped up a lot and was very useful during my google searches so I figured I’d create an account and join in on the fun!

Attachments

• AB6D4CA3-9149-4F84-BF04-1219848CD8F2.jpeg
    AB6D4CA3-9149-4F84-BF04-1219848CD8F2.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 157
  • 2AD8A355-9255-4E02-9AF7-AA183C3A8A4C.jpeg
    2AD8A355-9255-4E02-9AF7-AA183C3A8A4C.jpeg
    257.4 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
After keeping tree alive very important lesson is unless wanting trunk forever small keep developing tree in growing container or ground. Not Bonsai pot. After all other development stuff done fancy pot is very last thing needed.
Many thanks changing any tree FROM broom style to anything else.

After keeping tree alive very important lesson is unless wanting trunk forever small keep developing tree in growing container or ground. Not Bonsai pot. After all other development stuff done fancy pot is very last thing needed.
Many thanks changing any tree FROM broom style to anything else.
Yes, that is one thing I’ve read and that I’m doing on some of my trees. I’m ok the rest of them being in bonsai pots right now: I like some of them small and I’ve already repotted them all this year (into better draining soil. Lost a tea tree and almost lost a pomegranate to root rot. Pom has bounced back very nicely though). Right now I’m focusing on learning each plants watering/light/fertilizer preference and keeping them bug/disease free. Next year I’ll have my greenhouse up and running and will be able to move everything outside and focus more on propagation and development. I have 3 BRTs in nursery pots right now, they’re some of my favorites for how they naturally twist and bend. I’m planning on trying to air layer some of them next year. I kind of jumped into the deep end when I started this earlier this year. I have 10 different kinds of trees at the moment. It’s fun to learn the ins and outs of each one. I’m so nervous to trim any of my BRTs though because of die back. I have one BRT that I think is absolutely beautiful and I am terrified to mess it up.

No need to be terrified to prune a BRT due to dieback. You make the cut between the nodes and it dies back to the live node like the pIcture below, if you cut too close to the node it may dieback to the next one, no big deal. Besides, if you stick with the hobby you will have trees and branches die on you, no way around it. I’ve got a video about rain trees on my channel too..A1BBEB71-7607-4213-88D1-7AB876E12707.jpeg

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Hello everyone!
I know that one of the biggest beginner mistakes is over styling trees. So I haven’t styled too much yet, but from what I have done, I don’t think I’m doing it the “correct” way. But I’m ok with that. I’m trying to follow the rules, but for the most part I’m just trimming and bending where I think it looks good. Like my Brush Cherry which was in a broom style when I got it but I’ve been slowly transforming into a…I don’t even know. But I thought it was boring the way it was and you couldn’t see any branches. So I started playing and I found this spiral kind of pattern that I’ve been going with. Now the Premna I will preface by saying it was wild when I got it and I liked that, but the wild didn’t feel purposeful to me. So I did my first wiring attempt last night (yes, I know it’s atrocious) to bring out the wildness even more, but in a more pleasing and interesting way, at least to me. Curious to see what others thoughts are or if anyone has any suggestions. I have lots of other plants too, but these were just the 2 I’ve styled the most so far.

A little backstory: I’m fairly new to Bonsai. I wanted a hobby and although I normally kill any plant I touch, I decided I was going to try Bonsai. Turns out that I really really love it. So much so that I purchased a little 6x4 greenhouse that will be arriving in the next few days. I did and am still doing a lot of research, this site popped up a lot and was very useful during my google searches so I figured I’d create an account and join in on the fun!
As someone going along some of the same worries as you where back in the day I'd love to see how your tree has progressed!

As someone going along some of the same worries as you where back in the day I'd love to see how your tree has progressed!
IMG_5992.jpeg
One of those is dead. The other one almost died, been nursing it back to health for a year.

I have around 60ish trees now. Mostly cold hardy. I don’t focus on tropicals anymore. Too much hassle during the winter. I learned how to wire better, that and a repotting lesson have helped me tremendously. Get bonsai friends is the best advice I can offer. I learned more in my 2 in person experiences than I had 2 years reading every book and watching every video I could find.

Back
Top Bottom