I ordered a variety of Anderson flats and...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is probably just a "well duh" kind of thing, but I was curious so figured others might be curious as well. After seeing @Bonsai Nut mention it, I went on the Stuewe website and placed an order for a few each of three different Anderson part numbers: 2400B Heavy Duty (Stuewe #AFLAT3), 2405B Deep Prop Special (Stuewe #AFLAT4), and 2401B Deep Propogation (Stuewe #AFLAT5). Here are my observations.

Measurements per Anderson Pots (verified accurate):
2400B External / Internal (in.) 19⅞ X 15¼ X 2½ / 18½ X 14½ X 2½
2405B External / Internal (in.) 17 X 17 X 4 / 15¾ X 15¾ X 4
2401B External / Internal (in.) 15¾ X 15¾ X 5 / 14¼ X 14¼ X 5

All three models are constructed of the same black high-density polyethylene of similar or identical thickness. The openings in the bottom mesh are exactly 7/32". The 2400B and 2405B have a band running across the middle of the tray that is 3/4" for the 2405B and 1" for the 2400B. Each tray has a lip around the top edge: 2400B 5/8" on short sides and 1/4" on long sides, 2405B 1/2" all around, and 2401B 3/4" all around. There are two 1 5/8" x 1/4" tabs on each side of each corner (only one side and shorter on the 2400B), but I believe their only purpose is to aid in stacking. FYI, that means these do not stack flush which probably adds to the shipping cost.

Comparing them, I think that my preference will probably be for the 2405B for most applications. It offers about 22% more surface area compared to the 2401B, but keeps 98% of the 2401B's volume. The only aspects in which the 2401B beats it are in depth and rigidity. My rough guesstimate is the 2401B is twice as rigid as the 2405B. But for my taste, the 2405B is still not bad in that department. The 2400B, on the other hand, is quite flexy. It is probably half as rigid as the 2405B and will require care when moving unless the tree planted in it is very established. The 8% bonus in surface area versus the 2405B is not worth putting up with that problem. Some people might like the 2½" depth of the 2400B, but the same thing can probably be accomplished by planting more shallowly in one of the other two.

For reference regarding shipping, my 7-piece package cost exactly $30 to ship. (Don't judge me for paying $7.82 apiece for grow pots. :D) Stuewe is located in Tangent, OR 97389, so it traveled about 1,000 miles to get to me. Because of the aforementioned tabs, I would expect the shipping cost to go up fairly quickly with quantity, although it probably still comes out to be more economical to buy in bulk. The 2405B ships 300 to a pallet, but I am not sure if they are still available from Anderson Pots. They are in the 2019 catalog but not listed on the website, so they might be phasing them out.

Links:
http://www.andersonpots.com/products/anderson-flats/
https://www.andersonpots.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Anderson-Pots-Catalog-2019.pdf
https://www.stuewe.com/products/anderson.php

Last edited:
A number of years ago I bought a stack of 2401B, I prefer this one for it's rigidity and depth.

If Anderson still sells them, they come in 25 pot stacks. I don't know what Anderson's current minimum order is.

They are great. I put them all to use. Though I admit, I have a stack in my office holding sorted paperwork & bills.

Most have trees, or are flats for seedlings.

I prefer the AFLAT5, which is 2401B on your list. Mainly for its size and the size of the holes on the bottom.

This is probably just a "well duh" kind of thing, but I was curious so figured others might be curious as well. After seeing @Bonsai Nut mention it, I went on the Stuewe website and placed an order for a few each of three different Anderson part numbers: 2400B Heavy Duty (Stuewe #AFLAT3), 2405B Deep Prop Special (Stuewe #AFLAT4), and 2401B Deep Propogation (Stuewe #AFLAT5). Here are my observations.

Measurements per Anderson Pots (verified accurate):
2400B External / Internal (in.) 19⅞ X 15¼ X 2½ / 18½ X 14½ X 2½
2405B External / Internal (in.) 17 X 17 X 4 / 15¾ X 15¾ X 4
2401B External / Internal (in.) 15¾ X 15¾ X 5 / 14¼ X 14¼ X 5

All three models are constructed of the same black high-density polyethylene of similar or identical thickness. The openings in the bottom mesh are exactly 7/32". The 2400B and 2405B have a band running across the middle of the tray that is 3/4" for the 2405B and 1" for the 2400B. Each tray has a lip around the top edge: 2400B 5/8" on short sides and 1/4" on long sides, 2405B 1/2" all around, and 2401B 3/4" all around. There are two 1 5/8" x 1/4" tabs on each side of each corner (only one side and shorter on the 2400B), but I believe their only purpose is to aid in stacking. FYI, that means these do not stack flush which probably adds to the shipping cost.

Comparing them, I think that my preference will probably be for the 2405B for most applications. It offers about 22% more surface area compared to the 2401B, but keeps 98% of the 2401B's volume. The only aspects in which the 2401B beats it are in depth and rigidity. My rough guesstimate is the 2401B is twice as rigid as the 2405B. But for my taste, the 2405B is still not bad in that department. The 2400B, on the other hand, is quite flexy. It is probably half as rigid as the 2405B and will require care when moving unless the tree planted in it is very established. The 8% bonus in surface area versus the 2405B is not worth putting up with that problem. Some people might like the 2½" depth of the 2400B, but the same thing can probably be accomplished by planting more shallowly in one of the other two.

For reference regarding shipping, my 7-piece package cost exactly $30 to ship. (Don't judge me for paying $7.82 apiece for grow pots. :D) Stuewe is located in Tangent, OR 97389, so it traveled about 1,000 miles to get to me. Because of the aforementioned tabs, I would expect the shipping cost to go up fairly quickly with quantity, although it probably still comes out to be more economical to buy in bulk. The 2405B ships 300 to a pallet, but I am not sure if they are still available from Anderson Pots. They are in the 2019 catalog but not listed on the website, so they might be phasing them out.

Links:
http://www.andersonpots.com/products/anderson-flats/
https://www.andersonpots.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Anderson-Pots-Catalog-2019.pdf
https://www.stuewe.com/products/anderson.php
I settled on the 2401B several years ago and purchased a pallet. Because I was in Portland area for Bonsai I picked them up at the factory. The cost worked out to less than $3 per flat. They have been excellent in use and durability. Their extra depth and smaller surface area gives them more rigidity than the 2405. For larger heavier collected trees I often double them. This gives extra rigidity and better drainage on smoother surfaces such as benches. I do modify them in one respect. I drill a row of 1/4 inch holes around the lower side perimeter to assist in gas exchange and drainage. My nursery has a gravel base so they drain really well when set on the ground. If you plan to set them on grassy surfaces or smooth dirt I would find a way to create an air space underneath. Slats of wood or similar concept. I would like to see a smaller version for Bonsai purposes. My ideal dimensions would be 12 by 12 by 5 deep. Primarily for the majority of medium size trees, allowing sufficient depth for development and reducing the amount of soil required to use the container. The other option is to reduce the current container with wood inserts such as small lengths of 2 by 4. However this changes the moisture retention. The picture shows stacking for additional drainage. It also shows their use for seven year old JBP set on coarse chips and gravelly IMG_1457.jpegground.

I settled on the 2401B several years ago and purchased a pallet. Because I was in Portland area for Bonsai I picked them up at the factory. The cost worked out to less than $3 per flat. They have been excellent in use and durability. Their extra depth and smaller surface area gives them more rigidity than the 2405. For larger heavier collected trees I often double them. This gives extra rigidity and better drainage on smoother surfaces such as benches. I do modify them in one respect. I drill a row of 1/4 inch holes around the lower side perimeter to assist in gas exchange and drainage. My nursery has a gravel base so they drain really well when set on the ground. If you plan to set them on grassy surfaces or smooth dirt I would find a way to create an air space underneath. Slats of wood or similar concept. I would like to see a smaller version for Bonsai purposes. My ideal dimensions would be 12 by 12 by 5 deep. Primarily for the majority of medium size trees, allowing sufficient depth for development and reducing the amount of soil required to use the container. The other option is to reduce the current container with wood inserts such as small lengths of 2 by 4. However this changes the moisture retention. The picture shows stacking for additional drainage. It also shows their use for seven year old JBP set on coarse chips and gravelly View attachment 348942ground.
Is the tall fencing for the deer/moose?

Is the tall fencing for the deer/moose?
Deer and Roosevelt Elk roam the area and browse whatever and whenever. The initial fence simply surrounded the Bonsai then I added rabbit wire to the lower portion. Now the entire acreage is fenced with Deer/ Rabbit wire. Which the baby rabbits ignore simply going under or through whenever. It does help with the canines, and hikers wandering through the river valley. Useless for raccoons, cougars, bears and other assorted wildlife. The acreage fencing has allowed me to expand the grow out areas beyond the boundaries of the nursery. Older trees tend to have less attraction for the rabbits.

Thank you for this! I have always wondered about the difference in a side-by-side comparison.

I called Anderson Pots/Anderson Die, and they informed me that they are strictly wholesale only. I did check several of the distributors listed on their website, and found only two that allow you to order online.

Grower's Nursery Supply is located in Salem, OR and has a 20-pack of the 2405B for $60. Shipping to my door in southern Utah would be $62.

OBC Northwest is in Canby, OR (Why are they all in Oregon?) and has a 25-pack of the 2405B for $107 plus S&H. It tells me to call for a shipping quote, so I am not sure that this qualifies as "order online." Regardless, I imagine the per-piece price including shipping is probably close to or slightly more than Grower's Nursery Supply.

Their extra depth and smaller surface area gives them more rigidity than the 2405. For larger heavier collected trees I often double them. This gives extra rigidity and better drainage on smoother surfaces such as benches.

I like this also because it would (theoretically) keep the roots cooler!

The other option is to reduce the current container with wood inserts such as small lengths of 2 by 4. However this changes the moisture retention.

This is a great idea for people in drier climates, and for those like me who are curious about the benefit of wood to the soil biome. I might do this for a couple of the smaller trees. Oh, and it just occurred to me that one could gain some rigidity in the shorter flat by screwing the inserts into the sides...but then I suppose you just have a janky wood grow box (or expensive mesh depending on how you look at it).

I like this also because it would (theoretically) keep the roots cooler!

Very helpful thread. FWIW, I ordered some of the TRAY6 from Stuewe that arrived today. These are listed under "Anderson" on their site but appear to be manufactured for Stuewe. There is some flex in the mesh when pressing but it doesn't seem to be too bad. The mesh size is on the larger size, so I've planned of adding a large particle drainage layer or wire screen. I liked the extra depth for growing out; my hope is this will leave some space beneath the tiles I'll plant for some root run. If anyone is considering the TRAY6, note that the available legs fit into the holes of the mesh, not on to the square supports. They show a picture of this on their website but it's a detail that might be overlooked.

I need at least 20 or so of these by this spring, and coincidentally I was looking at them this morning.

But damn, that shipping...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210113-152840_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20210113-152840_Gmail.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 73
I need at least 20 or so of these by this spring, and coincidentally I was looking at them this morning.

But damn, that shipping...

Its because its a large sized bulky item even though they arent terribly heavy.
If it helps they last a few years. I have yet to throw one out because it started to break or got brittle

Yeah, I ordered some today and the shipping cost the same as the product. Just have to divide the total cost be the quantity so you have an individual price and tell yourself “ if I saw this at the nursery for that price, I’d buy it!” 😊

I see that Stuewe also carries ”tray legs”. Has anyone tried these as a way of elevating the flats?

View attachment 349022
I did not order them on the advice of those who had tried them and found that they were not very useful. Essentially the bottom is not rigid enough to work well with four legs, too much flex. With Bonsai soil typically quite a bit heavier than typical seedling mixes in the nursery trade.

I did not order them on the advice of those who had tried them and found that they were not very useful. Essentially the bottom is not rigid enough to work well with four legs, too much flex. With Bonsai soil typically quite a bit heavier than typical seedling mixes in the nursery trade.

I ordered the legs along with the TRAY6 and agree with the above. I'm thinking to use a 5th leg in the center for additional support.

Yeah, I ordered some today and the shipping cost the same as the product. Just have to divide the total cost be the quantity so you have an individual price and tell yourself “ if I saw this at the nursery for that price, I’d buy it!” 😊
My thought exactly; I'd jump for joy, then buy them.
I ordered 20. They were shipped promptly and perfectly filled the box they came in. Shipping is a real cost and a tremendous convenience, so there's no sense in begrudging the $$ for that.

Do trays like that airprune roots growing down?

Back
Top Bottom