I Keep Breaking New Branches

Grunge_Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have a JM that is still in its 5 gallon nursery pot with about a 1.5 in. diameter trunk. Great thick nebari.

It is so vigorous, even though I trunk-chopped it back in March. It keeps throwing off huge long branches that break under their own weight!

It is literally breaking branches off of itself. Is it best to prune branches back to nodes to keep them safe from breakage? How to handle this?

Unrelated pic of an Arizona cypress (Carolina Sapphire) that is growing a Mohawk

Attachments

• B70E228C-4AB5-4CDF-B107-CC0B29DA88B7.jpeg
    B70E228C-4AB5-4CDF-B107-CC0B29DA88B7.jpeg
    370.3 KB · Views: 111
How about a picture of the tree in question instead of an unrelated one?

How much sun is it getting? Sounds like it's putting out lanky growth and large leaves? Probably not a bad idea to prune and reduce weight.

Looks like you have 32 posts and have been here for a couple months - I'm probably not the only one to suggest that you add a general location and hardiness zone to your profile?

How much sun is it getting? Sounds like it's putting out lanky growth and large leaves? Probably not a bad idea to prune and reduce weight.

Looks like you have 32 posts and have been here for a couple months - I'm probably not the only one to suggest that you add a general location and hardiness zone to your profile?

I don’t have 32 posts, and I’m getting a weird negative vibe from your reply.

Here, have another unrelated picture. Post pruning of the cypress.

Attachments

• 534722C3-FADC-4A77-9D05-A4F95897BB6F.jpeg
    534722C3-FADC-4A77-9D05-A4F95897BB6F.jpeg
    256.5 KB · Views: 81
Sorry, 32 (37) messages.

Folks will find it hard to provide help without the pertinent details. Nothing negative about it.
☝️ this. Didn't mean to offend. Snarky maybe, but not offensive.

You can use the forum however you like, but normally a thread with questions about a JM would have pictures of a JM.

I like your cypress. ☮️

No negative vibe there. Unless you are willing to share there is unlikely to be help forthcoming. To allude to a problem with no picture except of unrelated plants, is not going to help. Generally I won't waste my time unless people are more forthcoming. I am replying more to your negative comment of a long standing regular member who is trying to help you out. I hope you can get onboard.

Agree with others above.
We can not help you if you are unwilling to share the details we need to know to give advice.

Also your location is an important detail to give you the best advice possible. We arent asking for your exact address. Nearest big city and state would suffice.

Until you are willing to meet us half way, good luck with the tree. Sounds like an interesting one.

Tips to get better answers and help from other members:
1. Please add your location in your userprofile.
2. Please add a picture of the tree you are talking about.
3. Please add the variety of JM if you know it.

I don’t think my comment was negative. Maybe I misinterpreted the tone? It can be taken a few ways. Here is the maple in question, coral bark graft.

Zone 8b in middle Georgia. Soil is nursery substrate, organic. Yes, I should have repotted before a trunk chop.

Leave feedback, or don’t. Not sure what to say, I made a couple of posts that were ignored to begin with, and I work 120 hour pay periods.

Most posts I have made are comments in support of others. ☮️

Attachments

• A664BE76-9238-4B8D-B091-9793902C6D71.jpeg
    A664BE76-9238-4B8D-B091-9793902C6D71.jpeg
    289.7 KB · Views: 37
  • F4876725-C2E5-43AA-8E86-38D33B0685FD.jpeg
    F4876725-C2E5-43AA-8E86-38D33B0685FD.jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 32
  • D0B1FBF4-4AFA-4E4F-9075-570A7ACFE0C7.jpeg
    D0B1FBF4-4AFA-4E4F-9075-570A7ACFE0C7.jpeg
    168.6 KB · Views: 42
I don’t think my comment was negative. Maybe I misinterpreted the tone? It can be taken a few ways. Here is the maple in question, coral bark graft.

Zone 8b in middle Georgia. Soil is nursery substrate, organic. Yes, I should have repotted before a trunk chop.

Leave feedback, or don’t. Not sure what to say, I made a couple of posts that were ignored to begin with, and I work 120 hour pay periods.

Most posts I have made are comments in support of others. ☮️
Sometimes there are so many posts happening in a day, some get missed if they get buried down the new posts list. Since many of us have our own work schedules and there are people posting 24/7, hard to see everything.

This tree looks like it might be getting a little too much sun or not enough water. It's showing signs of sun scorching.
In zone 8b, I would put it in a spot with morning sun and shade during the hottest part of the day in the afternoon.

I wouldn't call it overly vigorous though. Its growing but seems fairly normal growth honestly. Not sure why it would be losing branches unless it's related to heat.

Sometimes there are so many posts happening in a day, some get missed if they get buried down the new posts list. Since many of us have our own work schedules and there are people posting 24/7, hard to see everything.

This tree looks like it might be getting a little too much sun or not enough water. It's showing signs of sun scorching.
In zone 8b, I would put it in a spot with morning sun and shade during the hottest part of the day in the afternoon.

I wouldn't call it overly vigorous though. Its growing but seems fairly normal growth honestly. Not sure why it would be losing branches unless it's related to heat.
Thanks for the response — I am really not trying to stir up any controversy.
Promise! I am a peaceful person by nature.

I appreciate the reply and take the snark - I am okay with that. Snark away if I can help the community to be more productive. . . let me know. I apologize for the misinterpretation. I should take the time to read and post more carefully.

The branches lost happened in the wind, or watering with a 400 PL rain wand. They are just delicate.

I have cut it back quite a lot, even since this post was made, which slowed down the growth quite a bit. I think the theory of sun scorching is likely correct.

It is getting strong morning sun every day, and perhaps could benefit to be moved to partially shaded real estate. I will give that a shot first and put it with my newly transplanted JBPs in the garage.

The Georgia 92 degree summer sunshine may be too much for the delicate new growth.

I apologize if I came off negative, I don’t know anyone and suppose I just read the tone wrong!

Pic from March attached.

Attachments

• 6B32204B-8C13-4D45-BD4D-DD296595D7BB.jpeg
    6B32204B-8C13-4D45-BD4D-DD296595D7BB.jpeg
    388.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom