I carved a big stone and moved a forrest

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Friend asked me to create a larger planting stone for his forrest. We traced the existing forrest stone onto paper and made some choices for how to size it up. Negative space will be added to the left and a visible stone margin will surround the trees.

Stones that have a large surface area and a thin profile are hard to find. After hours of driving and visiting several stone suppliers, I found the right stone for the job. I also picked up a few large slabs that, while not right for this project, will work for future projects.

The forest to reslab:
IMG_8087.jpeg

Raw slabs usually have straight boring edges. This slab was almost good enough as is.
IMG_8518.jpeg

Design we came up with. Lines up fairy well with the stone.
IMG_8523.jpeg

After tracing, straight lines are added so excess material can be cut with a wet saw.
IMG_8527.jpeg

Finished and ready to deliver.
IMG_8536.jpeg

The machete is used to separate the forest from the original slab.
IMG_8539.jpeg

Ready to slide off.
IMG_8541.jpeg

Upcoming work will add a few trees, slightly larger wall placement, and development to balance the forest with the new slab. I might be asked to do a little more carving.
IMG_8542.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8088.jpeg
    IMG_8088.jpeg
    380.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8087.jpeg
    IMG_8087.jpeg
    393.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8518.jpeg
    IMG_8518.jpeg
    350.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8527.jpeg
    IMG_8527.jpeg
    320 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8536.jpeg
    IMG_8536.jpeg
    289.4 KB · Views: 7
Nice stone work Bill, there should be plenty of room now for future growth on that bad boy! How long does it take to work the stone down?

Nice stone work Bill, there should be plenty of room now for future growth on that bad boy! How long does it take to work the stone down?
About 2 hours for a stone that size. The real time burner is finding the large stones. Sometimes I have to visit stone yards for a month or longer.

Sometimes I have to visit stone yards for a month or longer.
Dang, do they provide food and shelter or do you have to make do with the rocks and what's under them?

Loved the podcast episode by the way, it was a pleasure to listen to you guys!

Very nice! I work at a nursery and we specialize in stone and slabs. With the employee discount of 35% I should take advantage for a future forest project.

Back
Top Bottom