How would you act if you were to eliminate #1 out of #3 trunks?

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The subject is a Juniperus chinensis -cultivar unknown- an ordinary nursery tree which forms three trunks emerging at the base of the tree.
It has been H.B.R-ed last October and has been growing healthy since then (https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/juniperus-questions-to-the-experts.29950/)

Regarding the styling of the tree, I want to keep only two of the trunks, those which have the most attractive movement and character and I will discard the third trunk which is extending to 65cm long (almost horizontal for its greater part) and the foliage is restricted to the last 18cm at the end.

Photo1276.jpg I am planning to use the first part of the trunk right at its base (15-20cm) and make some deadwood out of it.

This trunk is located at the non bare-rooted part of the tree and is the most vigorously growing (with runners) and it comprises about 1/3 of the foliage, so I want to proceed carefully and keep the tree safe.

So, when the time comes how would you @Adair M @markyscott @Brian Van Fleet @MACH5 @Vance Wood (to name some experienced members... but everyone's suggestions are appreciated) work with this removal?
Gradually?​
All in one go?​
Starting with partially stripping the bark?​

Thank you everyone very much!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This trunk is located at the non bare-rooted part of the tree and is the most vigorously growing (with runners) and it comprises about 1/3 of the foliage, so I want to proceed carefully and keep the tree safe.

This kinda sounds like ANY actions taken to this side may negate the purpose of HBRing in the first place...keeping one side vigorous.

Then again it looks like it could be a completely separate trunk and roots?

Sorce

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ...Then again it looks like it could be a completely separate trunk and roots?
This is exactly what I thought when I bought this tree...
I saw a chance of making perhaps two trees out of the original. ;)
But no, it is not a separate trunk.
The tree after repeatedly been top-potted in the nursery had emitted new roots underneath the trunks but all three of them are individually divided from the main trunk.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok!

If they are as secular...secular? Root to leaf connected as they say....it seems it would be independent enough of the other side then to be ok..

But that would move my thoughts to an entire dead root side in your pot if you were to remove it fully...

With nothing to keep that old soil side from migrating over, it mught only serve to make a mess of your repotted half.

I would say....if its not shading out your keeper side....
Just leave it till the other side is more healthy...and cut ot off in a couple years at the next repot.

Sorce

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ...I would say....if its not shading out your keeper side....
No, it is not. Doesn't interfere.
Just leave it till the other side is more healthy...and cut ot off in a couple years at the next repot.
So, all in one go, you are suggesting!
Thanks for your time!​

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, all in one go, you are suggesting!

I'd say! If it's not hurting anything now. With the removal being potential harmful....

Sure! When that other side is banging and the whole thing is ready for repot again...
Do the deed!

Maybe just note the amount of foilage you had at this October's repot, And have equal or more foliage at next repot with that side gone.

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If the portion of the trunk has it's own roots attached you should be able to separate effectively with little difficulty just by using a very sharp saw and cutting appropriately.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Agreed. This is a good time to cut - all in one go.

S

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If there is no alternitive but remove one of the three do not remove it understanding that any good Juniper bonsai should have some dead wood on it. This would be an opportunity to do such a thing with this tree. What is necessary is the understanding of how to do this and the kind of tolls need to accomplish it off.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The subject is a Juniperus chinensis -cultivar unknown- an ordinary nursery tree which forms three trunks emerging at the base of the tree.
It has been H.B.R-ed last October and has been growing healthy since then (https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/juniperus-questions-to-the-experts.29950/)

Regarding the styling of the tree, I want to keep only two of the trunks, those which have the most attractive movement and character and I will discard the third trunk which is extending to 65cm long (almost horizontal for its greater part) and the foliage is restricted to the last 18cm at the end.

View attachment 180627 I am planning to use the first part of the trunk right at its base (15-20cm) and make some deadwood out of it.

So, when the time comes how would you @Adair M @markyscott @Brian Van Fleet @MACH5 @Vance Wood (to name some experienced members... but everyone's suggestions are appreciated) work with this removal?
Gradually?​
All in one go?​
Starting with partially stripping the bark?​

Thank you everyone very much!

Why keep most of tree hidden? How can one judge with no evidence to see;)?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Not intending to bust Nellie in the chops but this is a constant problem around here, especially with beginners. There is a tendency to take photos of a tree and assume that one really close up shot of one small branch, or trunk in this case, can present the necessary realities enough that someone can determine a solution to the asked for advise.

The tee I presented here is a Mugo Pine, (surprise, surprise) where it was necessary to eliminate at least four trunks to find the remaining three that will/can make a bonsai.

DSC_0109 copy.JPG

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Following up in a separate post of the trunks that I plan to eliminate or have eliminated they will be allowed to dry and will be jined. More on this tree and it's brother, to follow elsewhere.

DSC_0109 copycrp.jpg

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Why keep most of tree hidden? How can one judge with no evidence to see;)?
That's a reasonable question :)
In my first post, second line, I said : It has been H.B.R-ed last October and has been growing healthy since then (https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/juniperus-questions-to-the-experts.29950/)
This is a link to the tree in question, since I didn't want to post again the same photos... I thought it would be an unnecessary repetition...
But you are correct though, perhaps I should post one or two photos here, too.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Following up in a separate post of the trunks that I plan to eliminate or have eliminated they will be allowed to dry and will be jined. More on this tree and it's brother, to follow elsewhere.
One more interesting tree of your beloved species, Mr. Wood!

Like I said above with my reply to @Potawatomi13 I will upload some more photos here.
The problem is I haven't removed much of the foliage during and/or after H.B.R. the tree and it is so bushy that you will have difficulty in seeing the trunk-lines and branches.
I will try though....

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
One more interesting tree of your beloved species, Mr. Wood!

Like I said above with my reply to @Potawatomi13 I will upload some more photos here.
The problem is I haven't removed much of the foliage during and/or after H.B.R. the tree and it is so bushy that you will have difficulty in seeing the trunk-lines and branches.
I will try though....
I assume you understand why I posted these photos? Your question was in asking what to do while eliminating a branch or two

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Here they are, in hopes you will be able to have a more complete picture....

This is how it was when brought home from the nursery
BNut.jpg

It has been repotted (HBR) last October and here it is now.
Yellow color indicates the trunk I want to remove.
BNut1.jpg and this BNut2.jpg

This is the portion of foliage removed some days ago in order to have a clearer view of what's going on in there...
Mainly shoots growing on the underside of branches and one or two bigger stuff... around 1/3+ of the whole foliage.
BNut3.jpg

And this photo is the intended (more or less) new (next at re-potting) angle and the trunk to be removed.
As I said elsewhere the first segment I will keep and turn into jin/deadwood.
BNut4.jpg

Top Bottom