Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Hey everybody! My grandmother had a pomegranate tree (unsure of what cultivar) that dropped a lot of fruit this season. She suddenly passed a week ago and I decided to collect a pomegranate that had dropped 3 months ago so that I could make some bonsais to remember her. Last night I processed the seeds and removed all the fleshy bits, and did the controversial float test and separated the ones the test deemed non viable. I let the seeds dry out overnight so that I could more easily scrape off the remaining fleshy parts. Since I'm in the PNW it's incredibly humid (right now 83%) and so everything grows mold if I'm not careful enough. I have never germinated a tree before, so currently I have a test batch of 20 seeds soaking on top of wet paper towels. After doing some reading it's occurred to me that the paper towel method won't be sustainable for pomegranates since they take a long time to germinate, and I am concerned about mold growing and killing the seeds.

I am completely clueless on starting these guys and this is a really meaningful project for me and I want to do everything I can to increase my success rate. I have access to any starting medium or container, and would like to do whatever it takes to start these seeds. I would really appreciate any guidance on how to germinate the pomegranate seeds. I also don't know if it's worth noting, but I do not have a dehumidifier so for drier plants I just rotate them closer to my kitchen to allow them to dry out.

hardtimes

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
pomegranates are probably the easiest fruit tree to germinate. I squeeze the juice out, mix it with sparkling water to drink, soak the seeds in warm water, clean them a bit, and then plant them. they sprout like crazy.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Cuttings root very well too.
So if you still can, grab a couple branches and stick them in soil. They will leaf out in spring as if nothing happened, but it will probably take until july until they produce any roots. Once that happens, you're in the safe.
Might be a good backup for the seeds :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Cuttings root very well too.
So if you still can, grab a couple branches and stick them in soil. They will leaf out in spring as if nothing happened, but it will probably take until july until they produce any roots. Once that happens, you're in the safe.
Might be a good backup for the seeds :)
I feel a little weird about taking branches from the mother tree so I won't be going this route. It's good to know that they root very well though 👀

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
pomegranates are probably the easiest fruit tree to germinate. I squeeze the juice out, mix it with sparkling water to drink, soak the seeds in warm water, clean them a bit, and then plant them. they sprout like crazy.
I'm glad they're easy to germinate! Honestly wish I had known this sooner instead of processing EVERY seed. I was just so afraid of failed germination so I got a LOT of seeds. When do you start the process of manipulating your trees after they sprout?

hardtimes

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'm glad they're easy to germinate! Honestly wish I had known this sooner instead of processing EVERY seed. I was just so afraid of failed germination so I got a LOT of seeds. When do you start the process of manipulating your trees after they sprout?
i let my seedlings grow in a 2in pot for the year and repot around this time of year when they come out of dormancy. its probably best to wire them when they go dormant year 1. hundreds of pomegranates is what i ended up with too lol

Top Bottom