How much freeze is ok?

Alfa0015

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello,
I got a Satsuki Azalea bonsai this week. I am a student so I live in a dorm, there’s no cold storage where I can keep my bonsai. I live in oklahoma 7b. What I did is that I opened a bit the window and put the bonsai inside of a box, the box wall facing the window is open, so the bonsai can get cold. I put some hats on it and dirt around. Today I checked the soil and it was frozen. Is that ok? I have a thermometer and I am constantly checking that it doesn’t go below -5C or 23 F. If so, I just close more the window. Is it ok for bonsai soil to freeze or what should I do?
Thank you!

Attachments

• B2197518-296A-4C2D-B507-268168A47224.jpeg
    B2197518-296A-4C2D-B507-268168A47224.jpeg
    231.5 KB · Views: 20
  • FFD047CD-B9AC-4327-9D86-65A60610A479.jpeg
    FFD047CD-B9AC-4327-9D86-65A60610A479.jpeg
    86.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 4B91E9C5-818C-4470-8D9B-A67911EC644E.jpeg
    4B91E9C5-818C-4470-8D9B-A67911EC644E.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 8413AE37-43B6-4A93-AE2C-48B1D8CB3960.png
    8413AE37-43B6-4A93-AE2C-48B1D8CB3960.png
    286 KB · Views: 19
Not so good for most satsuki. Each cultivar has a different tolerance to cold. Freezing the roots through is not the best thing for a small satsuki. They generally can taken the occasional light freeze of the outer edge of the pot.

But I like the way you tried to stick it in a larger reservoir of media. Hope is has drainage. Bigger would be better, say a 2gal nursery container. Cut down 1/3 and fill as before. Then toss something under for drainage.

The good news is they seem to be able to skip dormancy for a year ok. Especially below 60F.

Let the tree unfreeze slowly if it hasn’t already. Then see if if it can survive in the window.

The big concerns indoors tend to be dehydration and fungus. So keep it in a drafty spot, mist and water during the morning but keep the soil moist but not wet.

cheers
DSD sends

My azaleas been outside for the last few years with just a few inches of mulch, last year some nights got down to 7-8 degrees and they all survived.

My azaleas been outside for the last few years with just a few inches of mulch, last year some nights got down to 7-8 degrees and they all survived.

So good to hear. What kind of azaleas and cultivars do you have, satsuki, kurume, hybrid etc?

This makes a huge difference. Also survival is a poor measure for overwintering a bonsai. Completing the winter with no damage to the roots or branching and ready for a full year of bonsai work is a much better measure.

For example an older healthy Bixby Dwarf hybrid bonsai in a decently deep pot mulched in properly and shielded from the wind likely can take at least 0F. In ground up to -20F.

On the other hand, most healthy Satsuki bonsai the same age and conditions would rarely survive 25 F for extended periods without damage to the branches and possibly outer roots.

Cheers
DSD sends

I have several but im not big on azaleas so never bother pay attention to the specific, but Im pretty sure I have a couple of Satsukis. I can take some pics tomorrow.

Gosh, that’s ok.

Not sure anyone can tell the difference from a photo of the leaves. Nor from the blooming timing.

Perhaps a flower image if they are very distinctive flowered cultivars? This might give a hint?

Do you have any images?

Cheers
DSD sends

Nice! Nothing remarkable.

Don’t know about the first two, the third smacks of a kurume. Looks like a bunch we had when I lived in Dumfries.

When do these usually bloom?

Definitely look older. How long have you had these?

Perhaps @Glaucus might see clues I wouldn’t pick. 1 & 3 look like 7 or more stamens.

Cheers
DSD sends

Last edited:
These normally bloom around April-May here. I've had these for about 3+ years. My best looking one is a multi trunk ones that Im trying to find some pics for you. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom