How large of a branch can one air layer?

ETN_bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello all.

There is a fairly large American red maple growing in my backyard. I’ve been eye-balling low hanging outer branches for an attempted air layering. My question is- how large (in diameter) can I go? The largest I’ve been considering are probably 3-4 inches in diameter. Their bark has already started to scale/fissure. Would these take? Or would I be better served to go for smaller ones?

3-4 inches works, no problem.

There is no theoretical maximum, as long as you give the tree enough time to build rootmass. At some point you create layers so big that the bottom will decay before it closes over the cut.

That’s good to hear. I might get myself into trouble knowing that. There is one branch with mature bark that’s maybe in the 5-6” range. I need to trim these branches anyways, so I might as well experiment.

I was successful with a 4 inch Malus branch. But, to get sufficient root mass did take two growing seasons. Yes, I'm in zone 8a. And, I think I probably had more luck than skill.

I think I’m in 7A.
How does the size of host tree affect an air layering, if at all? This maple is probably 50 years old and probably 8-10’ in circumference at chest height.

Back
Top Bottom