Home Depot Crape Myrtle

Marty626

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'm no expert by any means, but you can't go wrong if you do the hard cut back in really early spring, before the buds break open. This spring I was experimenting and pruned off the growing tips, leaving 2 leaf pairs on the branchs. It responded well by backbudding and opening up some buds further back on the branches.

I think ima have to try the cut back next spring I appreciate the reply and info! So you cut the new growth down to 2 leaves and it’s still pushing buds? I might have to try that! Sorry I’m pretty new to bonsai and crape myrtles. Have you ever tried cutting back in the summertime? I think I read somewhere you can cut in summer?! Or maybe that’s just light pruning?

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think ima have to try the cut back next spring I appreciate the reply and info! So you cut the new growth down to 2 leaves and it’s still pushing buds? I might have to try that! Sorry I’m pretty new to bonsai and crape myrtles. Have you ever tried cutting back in the summertime? I think I read somewhere you can cut in summer?! Or maybe that’s just light pruning?

Yes, usually after the new growth has finished emerging, hardened, turned darker green, you can go back in and prune and you will get a second flush of growth. Depending on how long your growing season is, you can do this multiple times.

This year I tried doing that a bit earlier than usual, while the new foliage was still tender and soft. I thought maybe if the tree was a little low on energy, the second flush of growth would have shorter internodes. Just an experiment.

Crape myrtles are a pretty tough species, and they seem to take root work with out a problem.

thanks for the kind words.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
My first crape myrtle in a pot made it through the winter, yippee. I repotted just as a couple buds were emerging because it was planted way too high and in crap soil. Looking forward to this season. I also pruned the big crape in the landscape this weekend (mostly to get away from the cursing going on as my husband installed our new dishwasher). As @bonhe suggested, I'm trying to root some of the cuttings. We'll see how that goes.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
will never let another cm get more than those first few frosts...rolled the dice and lost

Marty626

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Yes, usually after the new growth has finished emerging, hardened, turned darker green, you can go back in and prune and you will get a second flush of growth. Depending on how long your growing season is, you can do this multiple times.

This year I tried doing that a bit earlier than usual, while the new foliage was still tender and soft. I thought maybe if the tree was a little low on energy, the second flush of growth would have shorter internodes. Just an experiment.

Crape myrtles are a pretty tough species, and they seem to take root work with out a problem.

thanks for the kind words.

Cool thank you again for sharing with me dude! Appreciate it! Looking forward to see your tree blooming! Peace✌

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
will never let another cm get more than those first few frosts...rolled the dice and lost

Sorry to hear that. I think that's how I lost 2 branches this winter. From now on I'm going to be bringing it inside a lot more often during the winter months.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My first crape myrtle in a pot made it through the winter, yippee. I repotted just as a couple buds were emerging because it was planted way too high and in crap soil. Looking forward to this season. I also pruned the big crape in the landscape this weekend (mostly to get away from the cursing going on as my husband installed our new dishwasher). As @bonhe suggested, I'm trying to root some of the cuttings. We'll see how that goes.
Hi Carol 83, I am glad you are doing that. It will have a lot of fun!
Thụ Thoại

Top Bottom