Himalayan Birch

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I picked up this little Himalayan Birch betula utilis jacquemontii. im still not sure whether i want to develop it as shohin or grow it on in the ground and have a nice stump in a few years. it has an outstanding nebari and ive cut it back to short nodes, sealed the wounds. i imagine it will grow like any other Birch. this cultivar has papery white bark and shows it at an early age
2017-02-21_09-49-50 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
2017-02-21_09-50-00 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
2017-02-21_09-50-10 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
2017-02-21_09-50-20 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
2017-02-21_09-50-31 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
2017-02-21_09-57-24 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

in the landscape
Himalayan Birch by n1el, on Flickr

Betula utilis var. jacquemontii by Christopher, on Flickr
Himalayan Birch Betula utilis by Luis, on Flickr

This one is going to be placed on a tile and ground grown for a bit. I'd like to see a little more girth in the trunk and i'd like it a bit bigger than shohin. its going to back bud like mad, so the resulting shoots should help to swell the trunk.

Nice birch - I have a river birch that I have been growing for the last few years- There a fun species

@Dalmat Hi, yes ive heard and am aware of this. i have two other birch that ive had for about a year and only pruned them during active growth. some say dont prune birch after aug, only in the growing season or they drop branches/dieback etc. my instincts are telling me now will be ok as most trees are getting ready to push energy up the tree. although i might not have hard pruned a month ago.
the buds on my other Birch are swelling
2017-02-17_12-22-29 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

Its a funny one really, because ive picked the brains of other birch owners and they've not had such problems with this type of die back and they've happily pruned at any time and lost only a branch or two. these branches usually grow back.
Ill let you guys know how it gets on, even if my eagerness results in dieback, we'll see:)

Back
Top Bottom