Hi all. I have a pretty large patch of land in Southeast South Dakota where I'd like to start field-growing some pre-bonsai.

hapcat1999

Seed
Reaction score
This is my first post! I've spent a lot of time reading the threads here and I've caught the bonsai bug. I wanted to express my appreciation for everyone that shares their knowledge here. Just a fantastic resource.

Here's my issue:

My land is technically Zone 5 but it's on the cusp of Zone 4 and we do get brutal winters sometimes.

I also wouldn't mind selling some of the pre-bonsai material as a retirement project later on (10+years or so). I'd would likely grow mostly pines, junipers, spruce.

Does anyone have any suggestions on field-growing pre-bonsai material? What are the 'musts' that I need to do each year?

My aim is to thicken the trunks and create movement. I'm having a hard time figuring out the balance between letting them run wild for thickening and keeping them compact.

A few things I've read that I can/should do:

1. Plant the trees on tiles to encourage more lateral spread of roots rather than letting them develop deep tap roots.
  2. Plant them at angles to induce movement.
  3. Dig them up every couple years for root pruning, then re-planting.
  4. Keep lower branches and the apex but remove middle branches so they don't shade out the lower ones.
  5. Trunk chop to a lower branch that will become a new leader.
I'm very much a noob at this, and there isn't a whole lot I've encountered about field-growing pines. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Welcome to the nut house! Ancient Chinese proverb says… The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago… The second best time is today. There is definitely a learning curve to developing trees for the market, but if you have the space and are willing to take the failures along with the successes it could be some extra $ down the road…but, as with most things, you get back what you put in... Depending on the types of trees you want to grow and how much work you’re willing to put into them will determine your return. You could go with lots and lots of lesser trees and make your $ on volume or spend the time and really learn the art of bonsai and make your $ on quality. Either way, have fun learning bonsai, the rest will come in time…one thing is certain, you will end up with lots of trees one way or another 😂

Worthy endeavor!

First thing is to identify which trees grow well in the area that would be in demand for bonsai.

This do this one might suggest a call/visir to Andy Smith over in Deadwood. He has run a Yamadori operation there for a number of here’s. First candidates in my experience with him would be Black hills spruce and Rocky Mountain ponderosa pine.

His website is goldenarrowbonsai.com

Cheers
DSD sends

Back
Top Bottom