Hemlock- help choose a front

MaxChavez

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello,
The whole time this was in a nursery container I had one front in mind, now that it's planted, I'm second guessing.

It's a Western Hemlock- Tsuga Heterophylla "Iron Springs"

Any/all thoughts welcome!
(Origin pic just for fun)

Attachments

• 20230417_124554.jpg
    20230417_124554.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 20230417_124527.jpg
    20230417_124527.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 20220928_093955.jpg
    20220928_093955.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 64
I’m too new to give suggestions. However, I’m itching to get my hands on a hemlock. Can I ask where you got it?

Hi, I see you're close by. I don't remember if it was Swanson's or west Seattle nursery, but I'm pretty sure I've seen them at both.

I’m too new to give suggestions. However, I’m itching to get my hands on a hemlock. Can I ask where you got it?
Western hemlock is the most numerous tree species in WA. At one time it was considered a weed by the timber industry. Now it has been elevated to the fancier sounding title of “whitewood”.

Anyway, if there are any larger trees near you there are likely to be seedlings/saplings nearby. Check nearby parks.
Most nurseries will have small ones for sale in their ‘native’ sections.
Not to condone stealing, but if you wander through the woods you’re very likely to find some growing on rotting logs/stumps that won’t be missed or even noticed…

Hello,
The whole time this was in a nursery container I had one front in mind, now that it's planted, I'm second guessing.

It's a Western Hemlock- Tsuga Heterophylla "Iron Springs"

Any/all thoughts welcome!
(Origin pic just for fun)
At this point I’d go with the front that has the foliage flowing to the right. It looks cleaner around the base.

Did you reduce the foliage and repot in one go?

That's what I'm thinking, as well. I think those two to the left might even grow into secondary trunks, as they would if fallen over on a stream bank or rocklside.

I did reduce quite a bit of foliage in the fall, so, not exactly at the same time, but it's obviously been mostly dormant since. I did replant, but partially because the rootball was high and almost separate from the nursery, to the point of being unsteady. Maybe 5percent root reduction during the replant. Fingers crossed

If you wacked all of that foliage off and repotted within a short time of one another, I would guess things are not going to go well for you and that tree. Always remember, one insult per year. I would suggest that you get next to a bonsai club where you live and get advice BEFORE advancing with bonsai.

That's what I'm thinking, as well. I think those two to the left might even grow into secondary trunks, as they would if fallen over on a stream bank or rocklside.

I did reduce quite a bit of foliage in the fall, so, not exactly at the same time, but it's obviously been mostly dormant since. I did replant, but partially because the rootball was high and almost separate from the nursery, to the point of being unsteady. Maybe 5percent root reduction during the replant. Fingers crossed
5% root reduction shouldn’t be an issue as long as the whole root mass wasn’t agitated too severely. I’m assuming you recently repotted? The timing should be ok, I’m in Olympia and also recently repotted a western hemlock.

It looks like the buds are swelling and ready to extend. If so, that’s a good sign that your tree is going through the motions of living, and has not just given up.
Don’t do any more wiring and try not to fiddle with what’s been set. Ideally, there is a lot of flow going to those buds right now and when the branches repeatedly get bent it disrupts that.
Do keep an eye on the wire as the growing season progresses. The top parts of the tree in particular will thicken significantly and the wire will bite in sooner than you think.
Keep the tree out of full sun for now. Western hemlock are extremely shade tolerant. Dappled shade or morning sun are ideal. Let it chill for the time being.
When your hemlock starts looking happy and vigorous (fingers crossed), then you can start upping its dosage of light.

I agree with plant flowing to the right. But I think you reduced it way too much from the container it was grown in. I wish you the best, but an Eastern Hemlock would definitely have trouble with that much reduction.

Back
Top Bottom