Help !!!

Danielm

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gmt
Hi all
My juniper is looking a little sickly... it’s got quite a lot of light brown leaves which seem to be escalating
Any advice would be great....
I have sprayed with a all round fungus killer be it’s still getting worse
15E07405-98D0-49D3-835B-FBF51BF29DEC.jpegD873E117-6FA5-4B74-9C7E-E44A0A74AA17.jpegF5ABDCFA-1221-49E3-BA31-DB4FBD08EC00.jpeg15E07405-98D0-49D3-835B-FBF51BF29DEC.jpegD873E117-6FA5-4B74-9C7E-E44A0A74AA17.jpeg2F1416A1-F917-4D15-9F5A-5FAFD3D1DBB7.jpegF5ABDCFA-1221-49E3-BA31-DB4FBD08EC00.jpeg

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi all
My juniper is looking a little sickly... it’s got quite a lot of light brown leaves which seem to be escalating
Any advice would be great....
I have sprayed with a all round fungus killer be it’s still getting worse
View attachment 180956View attachment 180957View attachment 180959View attachment 180956View attachment 180957View attachment 180958View attachment 180959
Okay first things first...
Where are you keeping it? I do hope it is not inside!!!
What soil is it in?
Why is the base covered in moss?
Did you buy the tree in that pot?
It looks like its not enjoying the water content much......please take photos of the soil too...asap.

Danielm

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gmt
No it’s kept outside and only brought inside when frosty
I bought it in the pot and as is ....
I know there’s no percolation as when watering it pours off

image.jpg

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It seems heavily organic meaning when it dries that it becomes hydrophobic.....is the soil super dry? I would do a repot into grit,perlite and a small amount of pine bark. Then shelter it from the elements.....a greenhouse would be best if you had one....it is dying off in patches likely because its trying to main its strongest foliage as a survival mechanism...
Basically the tree was too wet or dry for an extended period and its freaking out... if the soil is too dry and you cannot repot then you can stick a choptick into the soil several times to help the water drain down.
Bear in mind the tree is weak....so not repotting may kill it.....but repotting may also kill it.......

Forum members feel free to wade in on this.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I had a tree do the same thing on me because of poor drainage. I took a gamble and repotted into a free draining soil and gave it some protection....fortunately it bounced back but sometimes junipers have already been dead a while one they start showing up trouble.

Danielm

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gmt
Personally from what you say I think it’s too wet as the soil is very dense and wet all of the time as here in the UK it’s always raining.
I do have a shelter for my trees so will pop it inside with the front open for ventilation. When I can I’ll get Peter Chan from Heron Bonsai to repot it for me

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Personally from what you say I think it’s too wet as the soil is very dense and wet all of the time as here in the UK it’s always raining.
I do have a shelter for my trees so will pop it inside with the front open for ventilation. When I can I’ll get Peter Chan from Heron Bonsai to repot it for me
Yeah....try to dry it out....I thought is was too wet from that mountain of moss.....try getting it to dry out asap and repot asap in my opinion....wouldnt be using organics in Europe at all......far to wet! Surrey is no exception.
Remember most species of Juniper love water but they get very very upset when it doesnt drain...you need something very free draining but just a touch of pine bark as a life line......

Danielm

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gmt
Ok so I’ve added quite a few drainage holes with a chopstick and rehomed into shelter so fingers crossed...

Thanks for the advice and I’ll keep you all posted on any progress

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 18

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ok so I’ve added quite a few drainage holes with a chopstick and rehomed into shelter so fingers crossed...

Thanks for the advice and I’ll keep you all posted on any progress
Good advice from Rob. You want it to dry out a bit with the heat so that moisture needs to ventilate out somewhere.

Keep an eye out for diseases as they love going for weak trees.... one more thing....get a piece of white paper and gently shake some foliage over it....if you see lots of dots you may have a mite problem....they love weak trees...would just double check that too in case.
It has potential so I hope it pulls through. Keep us updated

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Oh plus removing the rock will help it dry out faster

Danielm

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gmt
Will do ??
I’ve sprayed it a few times with a pest control spray but good tip about the white paper ?

Danielm

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gmt
Juniper update ....

After drying out looks like it might thrive.
Looking much happier and perking up
Bought it indoors as we are expecting snow again ?

??
DF3BAE2C-F00D-44E1-85A7-A5E90F47ACC9.jpeg

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Juniper update ....

After drying out looks like it might thrive.
Looking much happier and perking up

??
View attachment 181829
Sorry didnt see update until today....theyre tough fellows....just love water but hate wet feet...house air isnt best for its health though even with snow I would personally keep it in the greenhouse outside. If you do feel the need for it to be inside then make sure it....not the soil necissarily is regularly misted.....dry house and and heating .....equals dead juniper.....very glad its bouncing back....

Ps: No wiring or work on this tree this year just good food and rest maybe a repot into free draining soil but with minimum to no root pruning if possible......just let it grow let it grow....cant hold it back anymore

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Hi, in our climate, that tree should never ever be inside. Mine sit out on the benches all year long and always have done.
I think you already see the problems with your soil...
If you don't want to repot yourself (I'd use akadama, lava and pumice mix), there's a repotting service at Wisley this weekend - https://www.rhs.org.uk/gardens/wisley/viewevent?EFID=294&ESRC=CMS alongside the bonsai show, which would be a good opportunity to link up with a local club if you want to.

Danielm

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gmt
Great advice Bun and I certainly won’t be doing anything to it before it’s fully recovered.

Hey Tom yes that would be good to pop along and see others. I’ll check it out ??

Danielm

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gmt
I’ll be going to the show on Saturday and taking alone this tree and my Import Azalea ?? Might as well get some feed and a helping hand with repotting

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’ll be going to the show on Saturday and taking alone this tree and my Import Azalea ?? Might as well get some feed and a helping hand with repotting
Goog good looks like you are all set....but seriously a week tree being repotted is already a stress.......make sure you tell them no root trimming no pruning etc.......just needs to get through the year.....if it has too many roots it may be better to even let it be in a slightly larger pot and just let it have a nice recovery for this year....

If you go ever manage to go to Kew Gardens check out their bonsai....oldest in the UK.....they have super free draining soil....come on England rains 365 days a year and Scotland 366 days a year lol so you guys need to let it drain well. @TomB has good advice being a local.

Top Bottom