Jinkxy

Seed
Reaction score
I recently moved into a new home and the last owners left this tiny jade behind, im not a plant person whatsoever and i know nothing about bonsai's, but i really dont want it to die.
I have some questions and i would love some answers
-when should i water it?
-how much water should i give it?
-how do i get the leaves to grow back?
-should i re-pot it?
It also has some weird roots growing out of it? So no idea what that's about...
Again i really need help so id be thankful for any advice

Attachments

• 17157391558321280531794812281609.jpg
    17157391558321280531794812281609.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 17157391929345712002761356546766.jpg
    17157391929345712002761356546766.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 17157392288169055857206344323947.jpg
    17157392288169055857206344323947.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 40
It is a Portulcaria afra, a species that can make good bonsai (some people will argue that point, LOL). It has a nice shape and it almost certainly salvageable.

Does the pot have a drainage hole? When you water, does the excess drain quickly and run freely out of the hole? Good drainage is essential for all bonsai, and especially so for this species.

If the answer to either of those questions is no then you will need to repot it. If yes to both, the next step is get it in as much light as possible. In most places this means outside in full sun anytime the temperature is above 40F. We can give you much better advice if you put your location in your profile.

Don't water it until it is in the sun and starts growing new leaves. Once in active growth, wait until the soil is almost dry before you water. How often you water it depends on growing conditions. Push a wooden chop stick or dowel into the soil and leave it there. Pull it out and check moisture once every day. Don't water it until the end of the stick is almost completely dry. After you do this for a while you will learn about how often it needs water. If conditions change water needs will change, don't over-water it. These can thrive on very little water.

Don't worry about the little roots. If they bother you, just cut them off at the soil surface.

(some people will argue that point, LOL)

To expand on that a little bit, it's not technically a tree. When you get it growing again and it comes time to prune it, you will notice the inside of the "trunk" is fleshy, like a succulent. It doesn't form wood like an oak or a pine. It is supported by its reserves of water.

If it isn't limp and wrinkly, it's been getting enough water. If it loses its leaves, it's often from a lack of sunlight and warmth. Keep it outside where it gets as much sunlight as possible, and in the winter, bring it inside and place it under a bright lamp to supplement the reduced sunlight. You can buy lamps made specially for plants, but for a single dwarf jade, all you will need is a normal desk lamp with the brightest white lightbulb you can buy. It may sulk a bit, but it will recover the following spring if you don't overwater it.

It CAN make good bonsai, but it doesn't behave like a 'regular' tree.

It looks like a succulent, because it IS a succulent. It is NOT a close relative of the jade plant--crassula--it's a kind of unique species. Native to Southern Africa's arid and sunny climate. It should be outside in the summertime and protected in fall and winter against freezing.

This article has some pretty decent care info on them. You don't say where you're located, but if it's spring now and you're beyond last frost date, the tree would appreciate being outside in full sun.

This one was at the recent Potomac Bonsai Association show at the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum in Washington

natarbportulacaria.jpg

Back
Top Bottom