HELP PLEASE! I inherited one of my Granddads bonsai’s

Reaction score
My grandad had been doing bonsai for 20+ years. I inherited one of his… the past 3 years he was sick and couldn’t really take care of them all… this one had moss grown a quarter up the trunk, some branches have died, and the shaping is all out of sorts. Any tips on how to get this back to thriving? And any know what this is just by looking? I was told it’s some kind of Azalea

Attachments

• IMG_1466.jpeg
    IMG_1466.jpeg
    516.2 KB · Views: 228
That looks like a Chinese elm, great species to work with and very tough. In order to get better advice for your location, it will help everyone here if you added a location to your profile. Also, welcome to the nut house!
Looking into it, the leaves do look much more like a Chinese elm than an azalea! Thank you. I updated my location!

Does the soil drain freely? If so I would leave it as is and focus next spring on proper watering and fertilization. If it doesn’t drain freely, next spring it may be in need of a repot.

Does the soil drain freely? If so I would leave it as is and focus next spring on proper watering and fertilization. If it doesn’t drain freely, next spring it may be in need of a repot.
It does drain freely! Pot has some holes on the bottom. Any temperatures I need to bring it inside?

It does drain freely! Pot has some holes on the bottom. Any temperatures I need to bring it inside?

I'm not familiar with Bartlett, TN, but I'm assuming you have relatively mild winters down there. That being the case, I would just set the pot on the ground in a fenced area and check the soil from time to time to make sure it doesn't dry out completely. Otherwise, the tree knows how to take care of itself for the winter. It'll just go dormant until spring. This time of year, there isn't much to do except to water and fertilize.

Any tips on how to get this back to thriving?

I have no idea why the branch might have died, but the crown of the tree looks okay. That is to say, the tree doesn't look like it's at imminent risk of death.

That said, I would expect a tree that was neglected for three years to be much shaggier, so I wonder what's going on that's slowing its growth. You mentioned the water drains out the bottom, so it doesn't sound like it's root bound. Is it possible the tree has been kept too wet?

Given that Grandad has not been able to care for the trees for 3 years I would be planning to repot in Spring. The soil will be old. Likely the roots have filled the pot, leaving little space for new roots , water and air to penetrate into the soil. Even if it does not need repotting it will give you a chance to assess the soil and roots, and, in my experience trees almost always grow better after repotting anyway. Precautionary repot is likely to head of any possible problems next summer, before they occur.
Chinese elms sometimes lose branches for no reason but given that this tree has not had much attention it is likely the branch died from - Lack of light, Lack of water, Too much water or a combination of these. As mentioned, the top of the tree looks healthy so we just cut off the dead branch and move forward with a new shape for the tree.

Nice tree. I agree with above care instructions. If uncomfortable, you might be best off to look for some experts in your area who can give you in person advice.

Sweet tree!

I agree on the repot, and might suggest a bigger rounder pot, so that it is a little easier to take care of.
It should reward you with tons of growth; and it may even bud back so that you can bring a lower branch back in.

Last edited:
You're less than 45 min from Brussels Bonsai - you might take it there and see if you could get a 30-60 min session with that tree, minor work, repot, tree ID. Don't sell if they offer, get a $ figure and maybe share that. Maybe buy a larger pot (big sale this weekend), use that as a way to get the repot maybe.
Just a thought,
B

Until it becomes part of your daily routine, set a timer to check the tree for water each day. During hot, sunny days I check my trees in the morning, at lunch and at sunset but most of mine are small trees that can dry out quickly.

In winter I check my trees for water every two weeks but your area is warmer so maybe once a week would be better.

Back
Top Bottom