Help! My bonsai is dying- I think it has a fungal infection??

beans

Seed
Reaction score
I recently got a bonsai tree for christmas- I have no idea about the nursery conditions etc because it was a gift.
I belive the tree is a chinese privet- it is my first ever tree
Arount the start of the tree trunk it looks as if it's decaying and it has white marks around it with orangeish crystals(?)
The leaves are turning a crinkled brown and falling off the tree. this has been happening for a couple weeks now but it is beginning to look a lot worse.
How should I help it?!
Many thanks in advanceimgpsh_fullsize_anim1.jpegimgpsh_fullsize_anim.jpeg

I think the biggest problem here is that you are keeping this tree indoors.
Most trees need fresh air and sunshine to stay healthy. Privet do not last very long inside so get it outside where it ill get a little morning sun each day and gradually move to give it more sun.

Whitish crystals are usually minerals forming as water evaporates from the soil. When it is outside you can water well and flush the minerals away. Inside with just misting or small amounts of water the problem only gets worse.

I think the biggest problem here is that you are keeping this tree indoors.
Most trees need fresh air and sunshine to stay healthy. Privet do not last very long inside so get it outside where it ill get a little morning sun each day and gradually move to give it more sun.

Whitish crystals are usually minerals forming as water evaporates from the soil. When it is outside you can water well and flush the minerals away. Inside with just misting or small amounts of water the problem only gets worse.

Ok! Thank you so much
Should I put the tree in its pot outside or should I plant it out when I can- but still treating it like a bonsai
Also temperatures outside drop quite low where I live (the UK) should I keep it in a greenhouse or conservatory over night and them put it outside in the early morning?

Privet should be cold hardy for most of UK. In any case you are well into spring now so all bonsai should be outside wherever possible. There have been a number of privet threads from UK growers recently. I'm sure you"ll find some if you use the search function. some may have valuable info for you without having to go through the hassle of asking.
Rest assured that privet are really tough. It takes quite a lot to actually kill them. Over here they are real weedy pests because the birds spread seeds. They are actually quite difficult to kill even with herbicide.

It would help if you put a location in your profile so you don't have to keep reminding people where you are.

Ok- Thank you so much
The bonsai is outside now and I have just watered it.
I can keep it in the pot, right? It doesn't need to be planted out into the soil?

Can anyone help identify if this is similar because I need help finding the problem with my black olive tree the tree itself is turning white with orange and mold

Attachments

• 828239E2-542B-48E6-9726-94C7B245FD9F.jpeg
    828239E2-542B-48E6-9726-94C7B245FD9F.jpeg
    327.3 KB · Views: 25
099CD5AB-F24D-4D89-903A-E6EDBD41A331.jpeg

Attachments

• BB56BD96-443B-4C05-ABCC-C92AC97B60E4.jpeg
    BB56BD96-443B-4C05-ABCC-C92AC97B60E4.jpeg
    297.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 24209334-49FB-4D6C-AD57-B7ECB252CEE4.jpeg
    24209334-49FB-4D6C-AD57-B7ECB252CEE4.jpeg
    323.6 KB · Views: 21
Thank you so much for your help! Would you happen to know if the mold growing on the soil is a problem?
In the picts it doesn't look like mold. It looks like calcium buildup is killing the moss. It also looks very dry. I would remove that crusty moss and soak the plant and pot in rain water.

You’re a huge blessing thank you so much for the help! I’ll give that a try! I was also considering repotting in the late winter I don’t know how long it’s been in the pot, I’ve had it for almost 2 years and am told it’s a 15 yr Tree, it just doesn’t have good drainage and I seems very old soil

Yes, late winter re-potting is appropriate. First get it through the winter. I am not familiar with your climate, but here in zone 6 I would heel it in my mulch bed and make sure to doesn't get too dry.

I live in Miami right next to the water i have a Brazilian rain tree and a black olive tree ( Pictured ) so good news is it’s always warm and humid!

I live in Miami right next to the water i have a Brazilian rain tree and a black olive tree ( Pictured ) so good news is it’s always warm and humid!
In that event I would re-pot now. Get some good bonsai mix and go for it. There are plenty of places to get bonsai mix down there, but Wigerts comes first to mind.

After one toothbrush of vinegar and it already helped so much! Here’s a closer look of the trunk after it’s been cleaned.D87A12A6-8AD4-4007-B15A-1E0CEF3E0517.jpeg

Attachments

• A2A5AC69-78E4-45FD-9661-6F41054EE515.jpeg
    A2A5AC69-78E4-45FD-9661-6F41054EE515.jpeg
    330.2 KB · Views: 4
  • FE84E336-71BC-4E38-9D82-3CB2B5AA792F.jpeg
    FE84E336-71BC-4E38-9D82-3CB2B5AA792F.jpeg
    337.4 KB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom