Help me understand fertilization dosage and using baskets

zeejet

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
My fertilization has been fairly inconsistent and has been a mix of using a weak liquid fertilizer (7-9-5 Superthrive) and having Osmocote Plus (14-14-14) in small baskets staked in my pots.

I’ve always been a bit skeptical of the baskets since it feels like they would lead to uneven distribution of fertilization when releasing. I think the idea is that the fert released is dissolved when watering and that they diffuse through the entire soil mass. From what I understand of basic physics, this is likely insufficient since the soil is fairly granular and water is distributed in disjointed networks. I’m also unsure if using baskets requires an adjustment in the dosage or amount of granules used (I have zero clue about dialing in proper dosing).

Alternatively however, spreading CRF granules like Osmo throughout the top soil feels messy and offers less flexibility (unable to remove easily if needed).

Can anyone shed light on how to best use CRF fertilizers like Osmo? Or perhaps why I should switch to something else?

After a few weeks when the solid fertilizer is dissolved in the baskets the usual practice is to place new baskets of fertilizer in spaces where there was no fertilizer previously. You would rotate basket placement each time so the fertilizer is spread evenly.

Circulation in the tree should help distribute nutrients even if they come from point sources. Not every root has to get equal access to equal fertiliser to provide nutrients to the entire tree. It may be slightly more efficient if nutrients are spread evenly but should not cause too much restriction. Roots will also seek out nutrient sources. My bet would be on more roots and more nutrient uptake roots under and around the baskets to take advantage of the point source.
Scotts' recommendation for CRO is (or was?) to drill it into the soil. It only releases nutrients when there is moisture outside the prills so in the basket it will only release while the prills are coated in water, nothing when they dry out. In the soil they will be surrounded by moisture for longer each day. When drilled into pockets in the soil it will still be in point sources but the roots will seek out pockets of higher nutrient and collect much of it anyway.
spreading CRF granules like Osmo throughout the top soil feels messy and offers less flexibility (unable to remove easily if needed).
Why would you need to remove the osmocote? Put on as much as is required and let it do the job. Unsightly? then mix it into the soil or drill it into holes as advised.

If you top dress your soil you can always just peel back a portion and place fertilizer under the top dressing.

Back
Top Bottom