Help identify this pest please

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was thinking aphids at first or mealy bugs. I treated it this spring when I noticed them with insecticidal soap twice and lightly brushed it with a toothbrush. I ignored it for awhile and they are back with a vengeance. Any insight is appreciated!
IMG_7524.jpeg
IMG_7525.jpeg
Sorry for the crappy pics but all I have is a camera on my phone.

Looks like Wolly Aphids to me. Sounds like you did the proper treatment and maybe just missed the eggs they leave behind. I'd do the same insecticidal soap and brush routine, you can blast them off with a hose too, but follow up with insecticidal soap sprays every five days for the next few weeks to get any eggs. Spray everything the pot the soil, under the leaves. They adults can fly so I'd isolate this plant from others, good luck.

Looks like Wolly Aphids to me. Sounds like you did the proper treatment and maybe just missed the eggs they leave behind. I'd do the same insecticidal soap and brush routine, you can blast them off with a hose too, but follow up with insecticidal soap sprays every five days for the next few weeks to get any eggs. Spray everything the pot the soil, under the leaves. They adults can fly so I'd isolate this plant from others, good luck.
Thanks. After I read up again I think thought the problem was I didn’t treat frequently or long enough.

Not quite like woolly aphid here but I also suspect the treatment was not thorough enough. If it is woolly aphid they also live on the roots so just killing the ones above ground does not solve the problem. A systemic is required to get all of them to stop reinfestation.
With any contact insecticide like horticultural soap you need to follow up as eggs hatch and to get any that were missed in the first application. 2 or 3 applications over a month or 6 weeks is necessary to get good control. Systemic gets to every pest that bites any part of the plant and most stay active for a few weeks or months to catch late hatchings.

Back
Top Bottom