Help ID my bonsai

Elvis123

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi I bought a bonsai at a road store in Florida and I'm trying to identify it so I can take better care for it. Please help soon so I don't under water my bonsai! I added a full view of the tree and leaves and tree stem to better ID. And yes I can move the rocks so they're not glued and the soil is ferm.

Attachments

• IMG_0593.JPG
    IMG_0593.JPG
    297.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0594.JPG
    IMG_0594.JPG
    227.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0595.JPG
    IMG_0595.JPG
    461.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0596.JPG
    IMG_0596.JPG
    234.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0597.JPG
    IMG_0597.JPG
    281.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0598.JPG
    IMG_0598.JPG
    308.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0599.JPG
    IMG_0599.JPG
    259.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0600.JPG
    IMG_0600.JPG
    308.4 KB · Views: 54

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Outdoors 24/7/365. Never bring it indoors.

Update your profile so we can give you better location information.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks is there anything I need to know specifically about junipers

Welcome to the site! Your question is a little too broad for us to help. What you ask "anything I need to know".... we need you to complete the sentence. For example "Is there anything I need to know in order to keep it healthy?" or "Is there anything I need to know in order to transplant it?"

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Looks like it's healthy, and it appears to have a substantial trunk in proportion to its size, as much as one can gather from the pictures. Might have some potential, so best of luck with it.
There is available on the internet an almost overwhelming array of articles, videos, and other resources. I would emphatically recommend that you explore Harry Harrington's website, bonsai4me.com. He's the real deal. Also get his e-books, either from him or from Amazon.

Elvis123

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Okay so I mean will the plant live in my area, where do y'all recommend to buy tools and material, and can I leave it in shade or does it need sunlight all day

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Junipers could probably live on the surface of the moon, they're so durable. They're generally cold-resistant down to 15 degrees Fahrenheit, even colder if protected; however, if you get that cold in Georgia we would have proof that climate change is not just a hoax concocted by the Chinese to hobble our economy.
Definitely best in full sun. Think about where you would see them in the wild: almost never near deciduous trees, and almost always separated sufficiently from other conifers to get full sun exposure on all sides.
As to tools, I simply can't say enough in favor of American Bonsai Supply. Their tools are extremely high quality, to the point of reminding one of stainless steel surgical implements, and not particularly pricey--typically 35 to 50 bucks each. They also have slimmer versions of refining scissors and wire cutters that make it much easier to get into small spaces.

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Dont pinch, and don't prune all the green off of a branch unless you want the branch dead

jazzaero

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
As to tools, I simply can't say enough in favor of American Bonsai Supply. Their tools are extremely high quality, to the point of reminding one of stainless steel surgical implements, and not particularly pricey--typically 35 to 50 bucks each. They also have slimmer versions of refining scissors and wire cutters that make it much easier to get into small spaces.

Thanks for the American Bonsai Supply tools tip shinmai! I didn't know about them. Time to spend some money.

Top Bottom